Not really 4x4, but important:!!! ACTION ALERT! State OHV Law will hurt all of us!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Bone Down said:
This just makes me upset... more laws on the books does not always fix the problem... I bet some one knew someone, that knew some one that had a kid run into his 100k motorhome and he/she probably said there should be a law against this. arrrgggghhhhh
agreed.

I think they just want thier names to go down in the records that they authored a bill, just to show they were there.

Bone Down

James K said:
agreed.

I think they just want thier names to go down in the records that they authored a bill, just to show they were there.

and to add to that the person(s) that authored this HB355 probably don't even ride OHV's in any form and could really careless about how these types of laws effect economy...

OHV sales decline
Licensing and taxing declines (will increase taxes in other areas to make up for this loss, who know's maybe I will propose a law that Mountain Bikes be considered eco powered ohv's and are hence forth subject to the same rules as HB355)
RV sales decline (trailers and motorhomes, and again the licensing and taxing of said RV's).
jobs are lost, unemployement occurrs etc etc, I could go on and on about the bigger picture..

Now before you take what I have typed out of context (not directed at any single person), I am not saying the industry as a whole will collapse, just saying that it will slow and inadverntly hurt the little guy down the line.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Bone Down said:
and to add to that the person(s) that authored this HB355 probably don't even ride OHV's in any form and could really careless about how these types of laws effect economy...

OHV sales decline
Licensing and taxing declines (will increase taxes in other areas to make up for this loss, who know's maybe I will propose a law that Mountain Bikes be considered eco powered ohv's and are hence forth subject to the same rules as HB355)
RV sales decline (trailers and motorhomes, and again the licensing and taxing of said RV's).
jobs are lost, unemployement occurrs etc etc, I could go on and on about the bigger picture..

Now before you take what I have typed out of context (not directed at any single person), I am not saying the industry as a whole will collapse, just saying that it will slow and inadverntly hurt the little guy down the line.

Mountain bikes have the SAME access rules as ATVs/motorcyles. They are considered mechanized transportation.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
got a e-mail back from Jim Dunnigan.....................

Thank you for contacting me. This bill will be heard in the Transportation Committee next week. As you may know I serve on that committee. I will ask these questions when the bill comes before us. I would invite you to come and testify at the committee hearing if your schedule allows it.

Thanks,

Jim

RedBull_RockIt

Here is what I wrote to represewntatives:

I have read the bill closely and understand that the intent of the bill is to promote responsibility and reduce injuries/issues with OHV use. However, after reading every point in the initiaitve, I find great flaws and questions with each one. The author of that bill obviously has not considered the application of the bill and has no understanding of the true scope of the sporting and hobbiest OHV industry. Yes, it is an industry.
Tell them NO on this bill and furthermore, tell them not to waste your precious time writing about things they do not fully understand.
My kids ride responsibly in groups of 5 to 8, as much as a mile away on a weekly basis. They have never had an issue however have proven time and again their responsibility. It is the parent's responsibility to make their decision if their child is capable of riding away from adults, not the state's. This 300 foot rule doesn't even take into account racers and there are hundreds, if not thousands of children in all kinds of OHV races every year.
If I am in an accident OF ANY KIND, I must contact the nearest law enforcement agency??? Oops, I made a mistake and slid on a turn and bumped into my riding partner...no one is hurt, there is no real damage, but let's call the police so they can take a report instead of focusing on the crime and other issues that are FAR more important.
Even if I destroy my bike and my partner's bike...why can we just not load them on the trailer and go home?
If we get injured we have to call law enforcement as well???...people get injured in all sports and activities, even typing letters to their representatives...why in the world wuld this be any different. If there is reason to call law enforcement, people will do just that. This law is a waste of time, precious resources, and money.
There are many more points but the main message here is that this legislation is GARBAGE. Put it in the trash can where it belongs and warn the supporters that they need to actually understand a situation before they can work on it.
Regards,
A FAMILY of OHV users, young and old:
Dustin Webster
Becca Webster
Ed Webster
Linda Webster
Garet Webster
Chase Webster

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I like it Dustin:greg:

just got another e-mail from Jim Dunnigan about the meeting.........................

It was to be today at 3 pm but it was moved to next Tuesday at 8 am.

Jim

ace

Parts Collector
OK Mormons(legislative majority), lets review.

Freewill and self determination = Good plan.

Compulsion = Devils plan.

Lets quit with the nanny state allready and let us make our own choices.

Houndoc

Great job those who have gotten involved and are going to meet with the committee. Best way to get the results we want.

From work with various other issues, I will offer a couple pieces of advice (I know what people think of unsolicitied advice, but....)

1) You can get better results in some cases admitted there is a problem and finding agreeable solutions than going into the meeting with a stand of 'no problem, let us do what we want'. Thus my original suggestion of trying to modify rather than kill the bill. Hard reality is not all parents are responsible for their kids.
2) If that doesn't work, find a key person who can kill the bill before it comes to the floor and then work with the sponsor over the next year to prepare a better bill that we can support.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
From USA-ALL.....e-mail

Dear Alert Subscriber,

The committee meeting that was to hear HB 355 on Friday was canceled. No action has been taken on this bill yet. It is scheduled to go before committee this Tuesday (yes that’s tomorrow). We hope to see some amendments to this bill. We have been told that we will see some amendments tomorrow morning. USA-ALL will keep you posted on any changes. As soon as we know of the changes we will give all of you an explanation of those changes and where we stand on the amended bill.

For those of you seeking to read the bill now or when it is amended, you can find this and other related info here: http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2006/htmdoc/hbillhtm/HB0355.htm

As always if you have concerns either way please let your legislator and or committee members know.

We appreciate hearing from our members and other concerned motorized users, No matter if you agree with it or not please continue to let us know how you feel about this legislation.

Thank you.

To find your Representative go here: http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/DistrictInfo/newMaps/State.htm :

Committee members:

Rep. Joseph G. Murray, Chair

Email: jmurray@utah.gov
Address: 1030 PEACH DR, OGDEN, UT 84404
Home Phone: 801-393-7062

Rep. J. Stuart Adams, Vice Chair

Email: stuartadams@utah.gov
Address: 3271 E 1875 N, LAYTON, UT 84040
Home Phone: 801-544-7676 Work Phone: 801-546-6000

Rep. Jeff Alexander

Email: jalexander@utah.gov
Address: 3127 PIUTE DR, PROVO, UT 84604
Home Phone: 801-375-1092 Work Phone: 801-224-8666

Rep. David Clark

Email: dclark@utah.gov
Address: 1831 RED MOUNTAIN, SANTA CLARA, UT 84765
Home Phone: 435-628-5108 Work Phone: 435-628-4479

Rep. Tim M. Cosgrove

Email: tcosgrove@utah.gov
Address: 477 E 6325 S, MURRAY, UT 84107
Home Phone: 801-685-0673

Rep. Bradley M. Daw

Email: bdaw@utah.gov
Address: 842 E 280 S, OREM, UT 84097
Home Phone: 801-226-5079 Work Phone: 801-434-7425

Rep. Brad L. Dee, BILL SPONSOR

Email: bdee@utah.gov
Address: 111 W 5600 S, OGDEN, UT 84405
Home Phone: 801-479-5495 Work Phone: 801-399-8623

Rep. John Dougall

Email: jdougall@utah.gov
Address: PO BOX 771, AMERICAN FORK, UT 84003
Home Phone: 801-492-1365 Work Phone: 801-492-1365

Rep. James A. Dunnigan

Email: jdunnigan@utah.gov
Address: 3105 W 5400 S SUITE 6, TAYLORSVILLE, UT 84118
Home Phone: 801-968-8594 Work Phone: 801-840-1800

Rep. Julie Fisher

Email: jfisher@utah.gov
Address: 865 S ORCHARD CT, FRUIT HEIGHTS, UT 84037
Home Phone: 801-544-3833

Rep. Kerry W. Gibson

Email: kwgibson@utah.gov

Address: 5454 W 1150 S, OGDEN, UT 84404
Home Phone: 801-731-8071 Work Phone: 801-731-7404

Rep. Brad King

Email: brad.king@ceu.edu
Address: 635 N 500 E, PRICE, UT 84501
Home Phone: 435-637-7955 Work Phone: 435-613-5246

Rep. Karen W. Morgan

Email: karenmorgan@utah.gov
Address: 8378 AUSTRIAN WAY, SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84121
Home Phone: 801-943-0067 Work Phone: 801-538-1029

Rep. Peggy Wallace

Email: pwallace@utah.gov
Address: 3297 W GREEN MESA WAY, WEST JORDAN, UT 84088
Home Phone: 801-233-9041 Work Phone: 801-965-3010

Rep. Larry B. Wiley

Email: lwiley@utah.gov
Address: 1450 W 3300 S, WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 84119
Home Phone: 801-487-8095 Work Phone: 801-535-6687

Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL)

Keeping public lands open!

PO BOX 131 Payson, Utah 84651

Office; 801-465-1145

Fax: 801-465-6972

www.usaall.org

info@usaall.org

Visit our website or call and JOIN TODAY!

To subscribe to our action alerts send an email to subscribe@usaall.org to unsubscribe send one to unsubscribe@usaall.org

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Dear Alert Subscriber,

The committee meeting that was to hear HB 355 on Friday was canceled. No action has been taken on this bill yet. It is scheduled to go before committee this Tuesday (yes that’s tomorrow). We hope to see some amendments to this bill. We have been told that we will see some amendments tomorrow morning. USA-ALL will keep you posted on any changes. As soon as we know of the changes we will give all of you an explanation of those changes and where we stand on the amended bill.

Thats good to hear, I will not be able to attend the meeting. Jim Dunnigan told me it is at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

UtahFire

James K said:
Thats good to hear, I will not be able to attend the meeting. Jim Dunnigan told me it is at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Please give us an update about the meeting.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
UtahFire said:
Please give us an update about the meeting.

email I got back fron Jim Dunnigan....................

"It was amended in committee and passed out of committtee, although it still has a lot of bad stuff in it. I can tell you not to worry because it is not going any farther in the process."

Jim

positive????

great scott

James K said:
email I got back fron Jim Dunnigan....................

"It was amended in committee and passed out of committtee, although it still has a lot of bad stuff in it. I can tell you not to worry because it is not going any farther in the process."

Jim

positive????

Good :D , but whats going to stop it?

UtahFire

I sent an email to every representative on the list and herd from nobody. So much for a "goverment for the people".