O2 Sensor Install Question

TkMeHomePlease

Hey guys got some questions for you, Was replacing the 02 sensors while getting my exhaust done.The upstream 02 sensor i got no problem. But the rear has shown to be trouble. rather then paying out the yahoo for the rear O2 sensor i got a universal one thinking "o it wont be that bad". But the wiring for the Bosch sensor does not match the wiring on my samurai. Its a 1987 Suzuki Samurai Special Edition with a 1996-7 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6 16 valve swap. All the wiring done by Trail Tough. These are 4 wires, What wires go where?

Here are some pics from what i got so far.. photobucket-28736-1335114000670.jpg

photobucket-31669-1335113999625.jpg

Thats the new sensor.. Now for my wiring...
photobucket-4030-1335113999092.jpg
photobucket-8761-1335114000138.jpg

I have a couple reference sites http://boschoxygensensor.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=1177
http://boschoxygensensor.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=1174

I have read that it matters if its a cali car or fed. I don't have the kick no more so i cant really find that out.
Any help would be great.

sixstringsteve

according to those charts you should have:

Bosch:
Black, white, white, grey (which you have)

Suzuki:
blue, white, black, black (which you do not have)

Until I can figure out which colors do what on the suzuki, I can't help you. Sounds like you may have to call Brent at Trail Tough on Monday and see if he can tell you what each wire does.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Two wires will have like 6 ohms resistance to each other, these are the heater wires (no polarity). Of the remaining two one may have continuity to the metal case, this will be signal - (gnd), the other is then signal +.

If there is no continuity to the case do this:
power the heater with 12volts for a few minutes so it can heat up. Hook a volt meter to the 2 signal wires. Hook the Using a butane lighter fill the sensor's "cage" with butane (no flame), this will displace any oxygen and should give a high voltage reading (closer to 1 volt than zero). The leads will indicate the polarity. If your meter goes negative .8v for example, then your test leads are reversed. If you don't get any reading ground the sensor case. Some sensors require you to ground the case to signal - (gnd), so If you still don't get a reading tie one of the signal wires to the grounded case. If the signal isn't as expected try grounding the other signal wire.

Last edited: