General Tech Off Road Trailer Project

DerekM

formerly dirk124
My wife gave me the okay to start working on a trailer. With 2 kids it's impossible to get to Moab in the TJ. I want something that has clearance, but is lightweight. For now its going to be open so I can make the occasional trip to the dump, and throw camping gear in it on weekends.

I would want to run a 33" or 35" tire. It would be nice to have the same bolt pattern as my TJ.

I have heard a lot of good things about military trailers, and I found one on KSL. Does anyone know what something like this weighs? I don't know which model but here is the link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20797181&cat=&lpid=2&search=jeep trailer

Here is one with just the tub, so I can build the frame and axle to my liking:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20797237&cat=&lpid=2&search=jeep trailer

Are these trailers worth what the seller is asking?
Maybe it would be cheaper to build my own out of square tubing?

I think building one identical to this would be the best if the cost isn't too high:
http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I looked into the military trailers. They are super tough but most weigh over 1000 pounds and the m116 and 105's run 1350 and up. It's a lot of weight to tow behind a jeep.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
^^^ Very true. They are very heavy. I don't know your fab skills but you could probably build something nicer than a military trailer anyways. I am looking in to building something as well. I've got the 4runner but with my spare tire I really don't have much cargo room. I would really like to have something to be able to load the camp gear, dutch ovens and other stuff, and be able to keep my cargo area for tools and spare parts. i would be interested in seeing a build thread when you get it started.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
Yeah it sounds like a military trailer is not the way to go. I think I am going to start getting prices on material to make my own. I haven't ran a welder in a couple years, hopefully I can tune my skills up.

I'm guessing the most expensive is going to be finding an axle between 58" and 60" wide.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
You can buy a straight axle with the wheel spacing & bolt pattern you want from State Trailer for less than $200, but then you have all the springs & mounting brackets plus hardware to deal with! If you're going to build your own I've got a good start on one that I would let go for a little more than you would spend for the parts!:D

It is on 33" tires & has 20+" of clearance under the center of the axle (drop axle, flipped) 5 on 4.5 pattern, box is 4'6"x 6'0" with front & rear tail gates, battery box & side door for a 12V fridge already built in!:) It's a project I started 4 years ago, but the wife is getting tired of projects:-\, plus I could use the funds for more pressing issues! :D:thumbs:

PM me if you're interested!:thumbs:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
scoutwbox.jpg
This was my answer to more storage. I built a 3.5' x 7' box and mounted it to the top of my old Scout using roof rack brackets that clipped on to the rain gutter. Removed it at camp and turned it upside down as a place for the kids to play. Just plywood and metal brackets, sealed and painted.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
It is on 33" tires & has 20+" of clearance under the center of the axle (drop axle, flipped) 5 on 4.5 pattern, box is 4'6"x 6'0" with front & rear tail gates, battery box & side door for a 12V fridge already built in!:) It's a project I started 4 years ago, but the wife is getting tired of projects:-\, plus I could use the funds for more pressing issues! :D:thumbs:

Here is what I have so far!

Attachments

• trailer02.jpg
    trailer02.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 16
  • trailer 01.jpg
    trailer 01.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 19
  • trailer03.jpg
    trailer03.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 18

MBD09

I am interested if you are still willing to part with it. I am in the middle of a trailer build but it is slow going since time is always a factor. Let me know if you are still willing to part with it, that is if DerekM has no interest.
PM sent.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
The trailer looks good. Unfortunately, I think I may have to pass this time. Unexpected events have me spending most of my savings on home repairs.:(

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Sorry to hear that. :( I really was surprised at the response to my post though! I wasn't trying to poach your thread, I was just thinking it would be a good & cheap option for you, & way to get the wife off my back!;)

Either way FWIW I have a lot of ideas for trailers & you're welcome to them anytime you want to continue the project!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I don't sell this one I'll prolly jump back into it in a year or so!:rolleyes: