Wanted Offroad Front Bumper for 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ (e.g. a Hanson or ARB or Warn or ...)

stevenjoe

Hi all--I'm planning on buying a new Hanson front bumper in the next week or so, but if you know anyone who's got an extra offroad front bumper for an XJ they want to sell, I'd be interested in looking at alternatives for the right price. And if you've got opinions you'd like to share regarding front bumpers for XJs, I'd be more than happy to hear them! Thanks!

sixstringsteve

I don't have any input on that bumper, but smittybilt makes pretty good products, especially for how cheap they are. I think it's a GREAT looking bumper though. Plus I'd be willing to bet you can get it without having to wait forever.

SpeedyVic

Any thoughts from anyone on a Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper?

I have the Smittybilt bumper on the front of my XJ. It is heavy and well built. It attaches on the uniframe very well. The only gripe I can think of is that it sticks out the front of the XJ further than I would have designed it to fit. With a Warn X8000 winch, I still have about 2 to 3" of space between the winch and the grill. Takes a little away from your approach angle, if you're concerned with such things.

I like how it looks on the jeep. I'm strongly considering getting the matching rear bumper when and if it ever hits the market.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?94795-Veyecteaoare-s-Cheep

stevenjoe

SpeedyVic and sixstringsteve, thanks for the input! I'm not too worried about approach angle so I'm okay with it sticking-out--it will make my next run-in with the side of a mini-van less painful on my Cherokee! I placed my order this morning and hope to have it by the weekend when the rest of the work is being done on my XJ. I read the rear bumper is supposed to come out this summer (per comment on Amazon.com from someone who ordered the front as well). I'll post pictures once I get it installed. Thanks again!

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I like my arb on my xj. You just need to buy frame plates, as the arb factory mounting sucks

stevenjoe

BTW, anyone have a stock bumper they want to unload? I'm considering using the budget for the bumper on rock sliders and putting a stock bumper back on...

SpeedyVic

I have one for a 96 that is in good shape. It just has two little slots cut into it for where the PO had a tow bar mounted. Free if you want to drive to Logan and get it.

stevenjoe

SpeedyVic I'm good to pay for it!, But the front-end of a '96 is different than the front end of a '98, right? I'll still have to think about the 220 mi roundtrip though.... :)

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
I just pulled one off of my 98 that you can have for free also, it's just taking up space on the garage floor right now. It has a couple dings and some scratches but mounts up just fine and is straight overall. Contact me on here or you can call or text (801)529-5598.