Oil Shale

I remember an article in National Geographic several years ago that detailed how you can extract Shale oil entirely undergound and leave the tailings undergound after all the oil is removed. seemed to be pretty well clean on the surface but for the elavator shafts.

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
I sent this funny (Thought for the day) out on e-mail and here is what this guy David responded back with, very interesting to read. First here is the Thought for the day:

OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.
OPEC nations buy
U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.
Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.
Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!
Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled fillet of camel ass!!!

Here is Davids reply:
David’s Take
I have another idea. OPEC, believe it or not, are the ones that are complaining about high oil prices. The price of the barrel of oil currently has nothing to do with supply and demand. There is actually a surplus in the production capacity of OPEC. If current production levels remain the same by the year 2010 (less than a couple of years away) there is a projected daily (DAILY) production surplus of 3 to 5 million (MILLION) barrels a day (DAY). That is reality. That is fact and it has been reported by OPEC and our very own Dept. of Energy.
Crazy huh??
Want to know the real culprit? Want to know why you are paying $4.20 for a gallon of gas?? Maybe you don’t, but I do…so I checked it out. It’s easy. Google allows you to get any public information that you want. So you can check my stuff out too!
60 (sixty) percent of the current price of the barrel of oil, since 2006 is due to oil futures and trading speculation (google this). We have a regulatory body called the CTFC here in the USA . This body prior to 2006 did not allow overseas traders or for that matter, traders right here (Goldman Sachs et al) much leeway when it came to oil futures trading. The Bush administration allowed access (some people call in the Enron loophole) to European trading and oil futures speculation. It’s call ICE.
The bottom line is, many investment banks have taken a beating with the sub-prime mortgage crisis. This little change in the law has allowed them to recover from their losses and was passed in the middle of the night, whilst we were all sleeping. They have been able to make a whole bunch of money back, while we are all feeling the pain at the pump. A small group of people have made a bucket load of money and now, we have none. The Oil Companies here have made insane profits, not just at the pump, but in speculation and futures trading.
Oil should be around $60.00 a barrel if the market was simply based on the law of supply and demand. That would equate to around $2.20 bucks a gallon. There are many ways that a person could describe what the investment banks, the current administration and the Oil companies have done to the American public. Rape, theft, pillage and plunder come immediately to mind.
There is an effort underway by the current congress to investigate futures trading and the effect that it has on the price of a barrel of oil. The loudest voice of protest as you might well guess was by lobbyist working on behalf of the investment trading house. Wonder why? From a personal perspective, I never believe what CNN, Fox, NBC,CBS or ABC is reporting. They have told us it’s OPEC, the Chinese, Chavez , Russia , Iran and Bill Clinton or Al Gore. In addition, it has also been blamed on us. We are the culprits. We are addicted to oil. The problem they say are SUV’s, Ford-150’s and our propensity to drive rather than walk anywhere. We, as consumers have driven up the price of gas with our demand.
Problem is, demand has actually gone down and is projected to continue to do so. Explains the surplus too. Another important point to consider is our infrastructure. We don’t have mass transit here in the US and never will have. The last time I rode a bus was in high school. That quite frankly is our mass transit plan. Our economy and standard of living is based on the automobile and always will be. That is being used against us as an explanation of the high gas prices. Feel guilty yet?
Not me. Not when I know OPEC is telling everyone we have plenty of oil and there will be plenty of oil in the future.
In my humble opinion, I think that it is always important to gather as much factual information as possible, before I chose a target. It’s easy to find a bad guy or bad guys around the globe today. We need a bad guy. We need to blame someone. What’s terrifying is when you discover that the bad guy (guys) may well be right here on our very own shores, living it up, as we die a slow death.
Plenty of oil folks. Don’t get distracted.
For the record:
Wheat is at $20.00 a bushel (record high)
Soybean at $9.43
Corn at $3.50 (give or take) (projected to go above $5.00 this year or more due to a diversion of corn crops to ethanol production. Let’s starve people to make a fuel derivative when there is plenty of oil)
Have a great day and always look behind the curtain.
David

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm starting to see more and more of around of what you just posted. I started claiming "Enron 2.0" a while back, but it was completely an uneducated guess. Looks like I wasn't too far off! :eek:

RockChucker

wow! what an interesting post!

oil shale would be a great thing if they could produce it cheap and if the guy producing it sold it at a reasonable price. however, the environmental foot print could be bad....personally i think we would be better off to just drill our own oil. it would definitely be a smaller foot print than the oil shale.

on the economy....couldn't gas prices be the driving force behind the economic recession? as fuel prices go up, so does the cost of everything else. groceries are more expensive especially. aren't the higher prices causing people to stay at home because they can't afford to go anywhere? am i thinking right or are my assumptions way off the mark?

1993yj

High energy costs affect EVERYTHING in our economy. What was all that talk years ago about oil shale not being worth pursuing until oil hit $40 a barrel? I still haven't heard anyone talk of extracting it economically, let alone in an environmentally friendly way. I personally don't see how drilling more in the U.S. will bring the price of gas down, but I would much rather extract and produce it locally just to have more jobs in the U.S. and not depend on other countries so much.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
on the economy....couldn't gas prices be the driving force behind the economic recession? as fuel prices go up, so does the cost of everything else. groceries are more expensive especially. aren't the higher prices causing people to stay at home because they can't afford to go anywhere? am i thinking right or are my assumptions way off the mark?
Yes, energy prices absolutely are contributing to the economic SLOWDOWN. 'Recession' is a very well defined term, and our current economic conditions DO NOT FIT THAT DEFINITION. Despite what you hear on the news, we are not in a recession.
High energy costs affect EVERYTHING in our economy. What was all that talk years ago about oil shale not being worth pursuing until oil hit $40 a barrel? I still haven't heard anyone talk of extracting it economically, let alone in an environmentally friendly way. I personally don't see how drilling more in the U.S. will bring the price of gas down, but I would much rather extract and produce it locally just to have more jobs in the U.S. and not depend on other countries so much.

Drilling more oil will increase supply. If supply goes up, and demand goes down or remains the same, prices drop. Basic economics. This is what happened in the 80s. The shortage in the 70s caused increased drilling, which caused increased supply, which caused lower prices. That's how drilling more in the US will bring down the price of gas.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
There was an article in the local Grand Junction paper about a ccompany, based out of UT, that is now able to extract oil from shale, with a cost effective & environmentally-friendly manner. I'll have to try find the link...

1993yj

Drilling more oil will increase supply. If supply goes up, and demand goes down or remains the same, prices drop. Basic economics. This is what happened in the 80s. The shortage in the 70s caused increased drilling, which caused increased supply, which caused lower prices. That's how drilling more in the US will bring down the price of gas.

I understand how drilling more oil theoretically should lower the cost at the pump, but based on the futures market and that post by Rock Hound, I just don't think that the prices will drop. Speculators will always keep it high and then the media will have some BS story about supply running out, refinery shut down, etc. etc. and thats why we still pay out the ass even though we have more oil than ever.

And even if we do drill more oil, thats only half the issue. We need to build more refineries, and the media tells us that it will take 20 years before a refinery can be built and ready to actually function.

Don't get me wrong. I am all about producing more here in the U.S., I just have my doubts about the prices actually lowering because of it.

ID Bronco

If the US flooded and I mean really flooded the US market with oil, the speculators would lose their shirts. I say drill here and don't allow exports until our needs are met economically. Right now we ship oil to Japan.

Jeeptj98

I believe we are required to ship oil to Japan from the Alaskan Pipeline. They helped with the financing and part of the agreement was that they get half of the Oil. At least I think I heard that on the history channel.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Anyone seen the price of oil these days? It's down to nearly $90/barrel! I read one report that's forecasting $70/barrel in the near future. I'm not holding my breath, but seeing fuel prices become affordable again would be real nice. Looks like those oil companies are going to pay for their massive profits from the last while. Hope the high-rolling CEO's saved some of those billions! :rolleyes:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Anyone seen the price of oil these days? It's down to nearly $90/barrel! I read one report that's forecasting $70/barrel in the near future. I'm not holding my breath, but seeing fuel prices become affordable again would be real nice. Looks like those oil companies are going to pay for their massive profits from the last while. Hope the high-rolling CEO's saved some of those billions! :rolleyes:

I remember hearing back when the prices were at their peak that the cost should be back under $3 a gallon by the end of the year. Back then I did not believe it, but now... That would be really cool!!!

I bet they are dropping it because the US is uncapping old wells and talking about drilling for our own oil. If the oil is cheap enough elsewhere, we won't extract any because it's cheaper to buy than make.