old school video games

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Relative to this topic, the highlight of my life was the mid-to-late '90s and the original Quake. In the off-campus apartment complex where I lived, virtually everybody played this game. Being the days before wi-fi, we had (obviously small) individual wired Ethernet networks in a few apartments... so we would buy lengthy CAT5 cables and string them out our windows from apartment to apartment, connecting one hub to the next. (If someone wanted to be part of the fun but they were the only one in their apartment, we'd run a cable from one apartment's hub out the window directly to their computer.) On any given evening, someone would suggest we start a game... and anywhere from 3 to 12 guys would jump in and have at it.

I wish I had a photo of all the cabling--it was hilarous to see. Those were the days.
Quake Team Fortress and Quake II CTF were big in my circle of friends in late Jr. High and High School. At some point someone bought a 1000ft box of Cat5. We called it the "One more to go" box and lugged it around to all the LAN parties so we always had enough cable to connect everyone. No idea what happened to the box, but I still have the crimpers we used.

ID Bronco

You're welcome to come play, bring quarters.

I've got the sit-down version and the 3-player upright. Looking for a second sit-down console to pair up for side by side racing.
The stand up three player was at the Chevron we went to in our neighborhood everyday. That would really bring back memories. If I get to town I would love to introduce my kids to my mad Offroad skills!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Speaking of full-size arcade games, does anyone else here ever visit any of the local arcades? My personal favorite is Nickel Mania. They have locations in Springville, West Jordan, and Murray... all of which are about equal distance from my home in Lehi, so I rotate between Springville and WJ depending which games I'm in the mood to play. (Each location has one or two games I like that are not found at the other location.)

Anyone else?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
There used to be an awesome place called the Atomic Arcade on Highland and 39th right below Cruzr's Saloon. Had a ton of awesome games like the original Night Driver, Pole Position, and even a full Crimson Skies rig with the 3D motion seat you sat in. And was open until 1am on the weekends. Went there a ton 10ish years ago. Drove by the other month and its gone. Sad days.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Speaking of full-size arcade games, does anyone else here ever visit any of the local arcades? My personal favorite is Nickel Mania. They have locations in Springville, West Jordan, and Murray... all of which are about equal distance from my home in Lehi, so I rotate between Springville and WJ depending which games I'm in the mood to play. (Each location has one or two games I like that are not found at the other location.)

Anyone else?
We've had a few b-day parties at Nickel Mania WJ. I park my booty at the X-Men arcade game until I'm out of money :rofl:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
There used to be an awesome place called the Atomic Arcade on Highland and 39th right below Cruzr's Saloon.

Drove by the other month and its gone. Sad days.

I remember hearing about that place, and I kept telling myself to go check it out... but I never did. :(

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Anyone else?
There used to be a little arcade in Valley Fair mall that the boys liked to go to. For a bit they had the original Mars Attacks pinball and that kept me busy. I think they're gone now.