Opinions on a Rekluse clutch

Cascadia

Undecided
I loved mine too. I plan to get one this winter so I'm ready for spring. I'm not sure which model I had though.

Is that your question is the differences between the types of tell use clutches. I'd like to know too. Ill check out that link though. Thanks Carl.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
After putting considerably more time on the Rekluse clutches (since my last post here) I've decided I don't like them as much as I though I did :p Engine braking, rotating force (engine) and feathering the clutch are three things that are very tough for me to give up. I still think they are well worth the money but depending on the bike/application my money would go towards tuned suspension first if I had to choose between the two.

From everything I've seen or heard I make up a VERY small percentage of people that aren't 100% on board with them ;)

rholbrook

I originally purchased a Revlok for my WR. I loved it but the two complaints I had were the bike would roll back if you did happen to stall it or if you needed to stop on a hill. The second is when you rev'ed the bike with the clutch in the bike would still want to go a little. I had two friends have their Revloks come apart on them and that put lots of junk in the engine case. Revlok warrantied them but then packed up and moved back to Australia. I got nervous and pulled mine out. Its on the bench if someone wants to try it.

Now most everyone I ride with have the Z-Start Pro that Tonkaman has and absolutely love them. In fact, they cant stop talking about them and especially love the left hand brake option. I have not had the time to ride much this year so I haven't bought one plus I am contemplating either a new WR or a new KTM 300 EXC so I haven't bothered putting the money in my old WR.

I hear the excuse that only *****'s have them or its not natural....on and on and on. The reality of it is, you will very rarely stall your bike, you are much faster in the tighter stuff because you will roll into the tight spots a gear higher and when you throttle out of them you are in the perfect gear because it stays in the power and when your taking off. They just work. In my opinion for what its worth, a Rekluse would be my first mode and suspension would be the second.

Get one.

Cascadia

Undecided
So what's the difference between a rekluse 2.0 exp clutch, z-start pro, and core exp clutch? I'm not sure which mine had but I loved it and will for sure have one by next season.

Tonkaman

So what's the difference between a rekluse 2.0 exp clutch, z-start pro, and core exp clutch? I'm not sure which mine had but I loved it and will for sure have one by next season.

I was wondering the same thing. I settled on the Z-start pro since I got a screaming good deal

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I installed a Rekluse exp two weeks ago, so far I have rode 4 hrs of single track at black hill, and 6 hrs in Cherry Creek, and I love it so far... really like it tractoring through technical stuff, and fast turns were you have whoops or breaker bumps coming out, you can enter a gear taller and rail out and glide through the whoops, where before I would take the turn then rev out in the breaker bumps. I can see how this could spoil me. still trying to get used to the steep windy downhills where you might let your rpm's drop it will let you coast out kind of like a 2 stroke, just when Ive gotten used to having the compression braking of a 4 stroke, but i think Ill get in the habit of bliping the throttle and getting it back. well worth the money, only took me 1hr to install..also if you run synthetic oil its noisey and grabby, Rekluse recommends changing to Rotella, I tried that and it smoothed it out. Awesome.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My question is with the rekluse are you still supposed to use the clutch lever to shift? When you let off the throttle and shift it seems to disengage and be happy shifting. I just hope i'm not damaging/prematurely wearing my clutch but still shifting with the lever

Caleb

My question is with the rekluse are you still supposed to use the clutch lever to shift? When you let off the throttle and shift it seems to disengage and be happy shifting. I just hope i'm not damaging/prematurely wearing my clutch but still shifting with the lever

You can still use the lever if you want...however, even without the rekluse, you don't need to use the clutch to shift. They are different than a automotive clutch. With or without the rekluse, my lever rarely gets touched.

FWIW, a rekluse is one of the best things you can get. A properly adjusted rekluse will make your ride so much more enjoyable. For those that are wondering what the differences are in teh EXP, Core EXP, and Z-Start Pro, see here

I have the EXP, which I love. If I went with any other (which I've not found any reason to), it would definitely be the Core EXP. The Z-Start Pro is their older style, much harder to get adjusted properly and they have moved their other models away from that style. That alone tells me which one to go with.

EDIT: The install for a first timer takes an hour or less. This was my second one installing and it took me about 20 mins.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
With a Rekluse you have the option to ride it manual as if it were not event there(other than coast out at idle) or in the case of my KX450 you could go the whole day without touching the clutch literaly, my bike will start in gear clutch out, which blew me away. you can completly shift without clutch as long as your engine speed is a close match to your transmission speed. the first day I rode with a rekluse I keep using the clutch anyway life long habits are hard to break, but the second day I hardly used the clutch at all, mostly in Cherry creek when I needed to explode out of a third gear whoop in order to double out, on a MX track you would need to manual through rythem sections, but I could see an advantage to the reKluse even on a track. I believe at my age and shape I will probably never go back to not having an auto, its too nice, a guy that was riding with me last weekend asked if its making me a better rider, and my response was that Im riding better because of it, but over time it will probably make me worst rider because its too easy to let the clutch do all the critical thinking.

Caleb

With a Rekluse you have the option to ride it manual as if it were not event there(other than coast out at idle) or in the case of my KX450 you could go the whole day without touching the clutch literaly, my bike will start in gear clutch out, which blew me away. you can completly shift without clutch as long as your engine speed is a close match to your transmission speed. the first day I rode with a rekluse I keep using the clutch anyway life long habits are hard to break, but the second day I hardly used the clutch at all, mostly in Cherry creek when I needed to explode out of a third gear whoop in order to double out, on a MX track you would need to manual through rythem sections, but I could see an advantage to the reKluse even on a track. I believe at my age and shape I will probably never go back to not having an auto, its too nice, a guy that was riding with me last weekend asked if its making me a better rider, and my response was that Im riding better because of it, but over time it will probably make me worst rider because its too easy to let the clutch do all the critical thinking.

I'd tend to agree with it making you a better rider, but could make you worse. The way I always explain it is riding with one, you start to ride the terrain instead of riding the bike. You no longer have to think about things with the bike, you just twist the throttle. You can pay more attention to what's going on around you and less on the bike. I also have found that I can ride way longer with one and not be nearly as exhausted, sore, etc afterwards.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'd tend to agree with it making you a better rider, but could make you worse. The way I always explain it is riding with one, you start to ride the terrain instead of riding the bike. You no longer have to think about things with the bike, you just twist the throttle. You can pay more attention to what's going on around you and less on the bike. I also have found that I can ride way longer with one and not be nearly as exhausted, sore, etc afterwards.

Interesting summary, I always worry about becoming more lazy and less capable after riding without using a clutch. Sad thing is, my clutch skills in the technical stuff aren't that great, especially this year after not riding much. I would love a Rekluse I think... it's just a matter of pulling the trigger.

If you're finding that you can ride longer and not feel exhausted, then that is a huge selling point for me. I always think I can ride longer, but if the riding is too demanding then I end up feeling it and cutting the ride short. (I'm talking 3 days of riding ;) )

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive only got the last two weeks experience with the rekluse, thus far I would agree with everything in your statement, maybe now that I dont have to focus on clutching I can become a better rider focusing on terrain, throttle control, balance, line selection etc, maybe only my clutching skills will suffer.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
also; I agree, less fatigue, its like you can set up for a difficult spot using less energy when you are confident that you dont have to worry about clutch control, not exactly sure why but I was able to ride longer without fatigue.

Caleb

also; I agree, less fatigue, its like you can set up for a difficult spot using less energy when you are confident that you dont have to worry about clutch control, not exactly sure why but I was able to ride longer without fatigue.

My theory is there's a couple reasons. I don't think the not having to clutch really makes a difference, but the mental game of having to worry about pulling the clutch, feathering the clutch, not touching it, etc wears on you physically. I also think that since EVERYTHING is so much easier, you spend far less energy wrecking, redoing lines, etc. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but I definitely notice a difference riding with one and riding without as far as energy goes.

Also, even after riding all day long anymore, the only thing that's usually sore is my ass :D I rarely have sore muscles, joints, etc after riding anymore. I'm sure someone that was is really good riding shape, it may not make much difference to them, but for me (and I'm sure the average rider) that rides a few times a season, it makes a world of difference.

Last edited: