Opinions on a Rekluse clutch

J Kimmel

I've had a z start pro in my yz450 for three years now and I would not give it up for anything. off road it made my whole world change, no more flame outs, no more stalling on hills, no more stalling in technical spots, now I can just ride. There are certain things you have to get used to, like downhill it'll freewheel unless you give it gas to re-engage the clutch, it will roll back on a hill so you have to be congnicant of that (just hold the front brake).

Kicking around a new kx250f for a track only bike, and I'll be installing one in it too. You can feather the clutch as needed like normal, but in corners you can use the rear brake more and not worry about stalling.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I really like the idea of removing the clutch lever and adding a rear brake lever there... would make stopping and starting on hills too easy! The only problem would be getting used to a bike with a rear brake lever, then riding another bike with a standard clutch and rear brake pedal.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I really like the idea of removing the clutch lever and adding a rear brake lever there... would make stopping and starting on hills too easy! The only problem would be getting used to a bike with a rear brake lever, then riding another bike with a standard clutch and rear brake pedal.

rear brake lever advantage would have to depend on what kind of riding you do most, it would be handy for some stuff like hill climbing, but if you ride tracks or places where you need to manual clutch and rev out of something you wouldnt have that option minus the clutch lever, that said the rekluse comes with three different springs sets so you can adjust how hard you want the clutch to engage, you could adjust it sharper, Im running the medium setting and I like how it smooths things out if you have to lug a taller gear such as cornering.

Greg

Admin
rear brake lever advantage would have to depend on what kind of riding you do most, it would be handy for some stuff like hill climbing, but if you ride tracks or places where you need to manual clutch and rev out of something you wouldnt have that option minus the clutch lever, that said the rekluse comes with three different springs sets so you can adjust how hard you want the clutch to engage, you could adjust it sharper, Im running the medium setting and I like how it smooths things out if you have to lug a taller gear such as cornering.

That does make sense... the riding I'm thinking of where a rear hand brake would be handy is in the technical, steep singletrack.

So I suppose then based on what you're saying that with a Rekluse you can still slip the clutch and pull the front end off the ground?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but that rear handbrake would be really nice when rolling backwards down a hill. The front brake usually does no good and it can be impossible at times to get to the rear brake lever with your foot :D That aspect alone rocks imo.

Greg

Admin
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but that rear handbrake would be really nice when rolling backwards down a hill. The front brake usually does no good and it can be impossible at times to get to the rear brake lever with your foot :D That aspect alone rocks imo.

That's what got me thinking about it! After my going over backwards in Moab, a bar mounted rear brake would have stopped that.

I stalled at the top of a steep hill, went to put my rear brake foot down and grabbed the front brake... rear foot off brake, front brake didn't hold the bike back. Bike started rolling backwards (in gear) until the compression hit. Locked up the rear tire and over I went!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I wonder if a person could put a rear brake lever up there in addition to the clutch lever like some bikes have a hot start lever.

but yea, you can still slip the clutch if you need to pop the front end or launch out of something I wouldnt want to give that up. even though on my 450 it usually has plenty of power to do that without going manual.

Caleb

That's what got me thinking about it! After my going over backwards in Moab, a bar mounted rear brake would have stopped that.

I stalled at the top of a steep hill, went to put my rear brake foot down and grabbed the front brake... rear foot off brake, front brake didn't hold the bike back. Bike started rolling backwards (in gear) until the compression hit. Locked up the rear tire and over I went!

Something to consider, I can 100% guarantee you wouldn't have stalled out the bike in that case. I've made some serious hill climbs in 4th gear when I should have been in 1st or 2nd (the clutch just begins to slip a bunch, just like as if you were feathering the clutch). So the left hand rear brake become less of an issue. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a left hand rear brake, especially while standing and using the foot brake is tough (like steep downhills or uphills). You can still use the clutch like it's a normal clutch with the EXP and I believe Core EXP. I don't believe you can still use the clutch like that with the Z-Start Pro. The only time I've ever stalled my bike with an auto clutch is in cases where you're cruising along and hit a ledge, rock, wall, etc and you come to an immediate stop. Even then, it's few and far between in those cases as well.

Caleb

I remember seeing a kit that did this, it may have been the revloc kit. It's doable, but would require a custom lever.

:rofl: Guess what, it's already available from Rekluse :D

shows both in this video
[youtube]14sq7uF-rIM[/youtube]

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
:rofl: Guess what, it's already available from Rekluse :D

shows both in this video
[youtube]14sq7uF-rIM[/youtube]
I need this for barell racing, last summer I raced an event, and its so hard to come into that right hand turn HOT, it would be awesome to drag that lever brake, and not worry about clutching.

so far the only time I have stalled my 450 with the rekluse is during break-in when my clutch needed to be readjusted, it stalled a couple of times, after I re-adjusted it it hasnt stalled in 10 hrs of riding.

Caleb

Anyone know if ASV has compatible levers for these yet? I swear by my ASV levers, couldn't live without them

I loved the ASV levers I had put on my Honda. I don't think it would matter if you're using ASV levers. IIRC, my ASV levers had more compact perches than my factory levers, so I would think it would fit even better with them.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I've considered that hand break even without the Rekluse :D I'd like to meet the guy that can use his rear foot brake when rolling backwards LOL!