over the air tv antenna

Bullet

Comcast jacked my rates again and I'm tired of it. Is anyone using an antenna for their TV? I'm thinking about cutting our services to just Internet. What are your thoughts, experience with an antenna?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
That is all I run, if I want to watch any movies, netflix is the selection. I pay about $77 for over 100m of internet with comcast, fast for gaming :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I just have an antenna, I also dont watch TV we have netflix but most of that is junk as well.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Whats a TV? Is that one of them moving picture boxes? We ain't got one yet.. But maybe we will when they come out with a color option.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Check out Sling TV when you get a minute. I posted up about it a few weeks ago when it was announced and signed up for info when it came online. Basically its internet streaming television of certain cable stations for $20 a month. For the base you get the following channels: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, CNN, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim. There are add on bundles where you pay $5 and you get more channels from a certain category. Right now there is a kids show group and another for news. They say there will be a group for sports coming soon.

I got my early invite email on Tuesday and I got it activated yesterday. I couldn't get logged in to set up my password last night but it worked this morning. The stream was very clear and seemed to be consistent without buffering. It basically works like netflix or hulu. If you have a good internet connection it will stream in HD but as your connection degrades the stream quality will as well.

I know this isn't for everyone but the price is worth it to me. I really don't watch much TV but I do enjoy watching a live game after I've worn myself out on the weekends. I was pretty unhappy about the last few college football games not being on broadcast TV and that pretty much sealed the deal for me to jump on this. I've got a free week to preview the service before I'm charged and there isn't a contract on it so I can cancel whenever. You pay for the month upfront so if you cancel it before the next bill date you are good to go. One other thing to note is that you can only have one device streaming at a time with the service so you can't be watching a game on the couch and have your kid watching Disney in the other room.

Bullet

Last night you would have thought someone had died when I brought up getting rid of cable. Thanks Nate, I will look into sling. Does it stream over the Ruku?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I called Comcast up. Told them I was going to drop them. Suddenly I had faster internet some movie channels and a better price. I have the for and he channels with internet. $130 a month. It had jumped to $200

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Last night you would have thought someone had died when I brought up getting rid of cable. Thanks Nate, I will look into sling. Does it stream over the Ruku?

Looks like it will. I plan to use the app on my phone and screencast it to the TV via a Chromecast. I hope that they build an app that will work with chromecast soon though.

More...
Sling TV will be available over the internet, and consumers will be able to watch the service on the web as well as via Roku, Fire TV, Android TV and Xbox One as well as iOS and Android. Chromecast and Apple TV are notably absent from the list, but Sling TV executives told me during a recent interview that they plan to add additional devices in the near future. Most, but not all channels offer DVR-like pause, rewind and fast forward features. And consumers will be able to access some shows up to three days after they air — but there are once again limits dictated by the contracts that Dish has with TV networks.

TechRadar Review

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I called Comcast up. Told them I was going to drop them. Suddenly I had faster internet some movie channels and a better price. I have the for and he channels with internet. $130 a month. It had jumped to $200

Pretty much standard with Comcast, last time around my bill was cut in half, faster internet, and was able to lock it in for 2 years...

Stupid game...

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
We just use an HD Antenna and it picks up about 14 channels not including the Spanish channels, internet is just the basic Century Link for $33 a month. We have no need nor want for cable, too much to enjoy in the world instead of sitting in front of the tv.