Paging the car-audio/ICE experts.Is there a head unit that mirrors your phone/tablet?

sixstringsteve

It's time for a new stereo/backup cam in my van. It's got a double-din slot. I've never researched anything beyond a regular CD/AUX player. Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish.

1) back-up camera compatible (this shouldn't be too tough). It'd be cool if I could incorporate 2 or 3 cameras (1 for the airstream, 1 for the back of the van, and possibly one for the front of the van)
2) big screen (at least double-din size)
3) touch screen that controls my phone (+ computer would be a big bonus)
4) bluetooth compatible

All i really need is a huge screen that controls my phone and is connected to the car stereo.

#3 is going to be the tricky one. I'm not even sure if something like this exists. I use google maps and trimble maps a ton on my backcountry adventures. There's no sense paying for a separate GPS device that's going to suck worse than trimble and google maps, so i really just want something that controls my phone. I know there are android-based units out there, but I'd rather not deal with having to update my OS, or worry about being out-of-date.

Is there anything out there that does this?

sixstringsteve

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

[video=youtube;OYFTjMkBCpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFTjMkBCpY[/video]

sixstringsteve

Future note to self, when testing polarity on speakers being replaced:

Take two pieces of wire, one on each end of a AA battery and touch the terminals of the speaker. positve wire on the battery to positive on the speaker make the cone move outward, if it is backwards it move in.

sixstringsteve

What about just mounting a tablet? Can you bluetooth the cameras to a tablet?

That's exactly where my brain is going right now. Only downside is needing to get a data plan for the tablet. But honestly, as long as I could make phone calls, I'd be fine using a nexus 7 as my phone.

Corban_White

I've been working on this for a while now. We installed one in my buddies car using a double din dash kit, the lilliput monitor (below) with the NUC (below) mounted on the back of it running Win7Pro. I want to go a bit further in the 4Runner and use a 10 inch monitor and replace all the HVAC controls in the runner with an arduino controlled from the touchscreen. His only replaced the stereo which is why his is done and mine isn't. We used several other things in the install like a power supply that will hold voltage through crank, a small amp to run the factory speakers from a USB soundcard, a bluetooth module and a GPS receiver as well as a USB hub. If you are interested in more details/pictures just let me know.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-NUC...pebp=1440612358660&perid=0PMMXVR7TASXV50H39D3
http://www.amazon.com/LILLIPUT-Capa...pebp=1440612446452&perid=0WKSHMEWDAT9ZJF8VPJR

Jeepj667

No real help on your project just some info. Our new car has a Pioneer Avic d3 touchscreen radio in it and my wife hates it. She is a compulsive channel changer and with no tactile buttons for presets she can't change the channel without looking over.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That's exactly where my brain is going right now. Only downside is needing to get a data plan for the tablet. But honestly, as long as I could make phone calls, I'd be fine using a nexus 7 as my phone.

FWIW, I have a Windows 8.1 tablet with no data plan. I hotspot my Windows phone and tether the tablet with WiFi. If your cellular carrier wants to charge you for extra, check out the PDANet app - I used it to tether the tablet to my old Android. It uses bluetooth instead Wifi, so it gets around any HotSpot restrictions your phone/carrier might have.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I second not liking a touch screen stereo. I have one I my truck and it sucks compared to a phone touch screen. Mine is a high end pioneer double din with navigation. I never use the navigation because typing addresses is so difficult.
Going the tablet route would probably be better in that regard.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I'm not crazy about the touchscreen in my 4runner. It's not bad, but not as good as my phone. I'd miss a physical volume knob though.

Here's what I'm thinking (ideas still in brainstorming mode). The van has 6 6x8 speakers. I just ordered some JBL replacements for $50/pair. Personally, I feel like a head unit is obsolete these days. Why buy a cd player that I never use, only to have it go out to a separate amp. Why not bypass the head unit alltogether?

I'm thinking a 4g LTE nexus 7 tablet. ($400) to run Google Maps, Pandora, Trimble, etc. I could tether it via bluetooth. Use this as my cell phone (I still have to research how to do this). Then I'd like to get a little 6 or 7 channel bluetooth amplifier. I know a lot of the hot rod guys go this route when they don't want to install a head unit in their vehicle. I'd like to run a little 10" sub too. I don't need to blast the windows out, but music is a big part of my life, and I'm going to be spending a lot of time in this van, and I'd love it to sound good at medium volumes.

A couple questions: is there significant audio loss with bluetooth? Have I forgotten anything super important? If i could mimic the sound of my 4runner I'd be beyond pleased. I absolutely love the sound system in there.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Why wouldn't you have asked me about this directly? You even have my number and stuff.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and AVIC-8100NEX will run Android Auto directly. The whole NEX line has HDMI input if your priority is to mirror the screen.
The AppRadio 4 will not run Android Auto but still has HDMI input.
AppRadio4 and AVIC-8100NEX have a capacitive touch screen identical to tablets and smartphones.
I have an AVIC-8000NEX in my truck and the touchscreen is perfect.

sixstringsteve

Good, I was hoping you'd chime in. I wanted to do some research before bugging you. I'm worried that Android Auto will limit what I can do (I worry it'll force certain apps off while vehicle is in motion, etc.) I don't want to text or browse while driving, but i want my wife to be able to.

sixstringsteve

Hey Expoman,

I just realized my new speakers are 2 ohm speakers. Is that going to be a problem with an amp?

What do you think about bypassing a head unit and going straight from a tablet or phone to an amp via bluetooth?

Also, what's going to be the best way to run 6 speakers and a sub off a bluetooth amp? I would assume I'd need a 7 channel amp, or a separate powered sub. My speakers can handle 60 watts RMS. I'd be fine with 50 watts RMS, I don't need ear-bleeding volume, but there is a LOT of volume to fill in this van. I know the difference between 22 watts RMS and 50 Watts is huge, even at low volumes.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, here's what I'm thinking. No head unit.

Nexus 7 tablet (or phone, or my Surface pro 3) via bluetooth

into

JL Audio BT Receiver

into

Clarion 4 channel amp or possibly two of these.

into 6 JBL 6x8s (I'm open to other suggestions. I already bought these on Amazon, but I'm willing to return them)

and a little sub like this.

One question I have is, will the amp be running all the time, even when my BT is off? I suppose I could wire in a switch to turn it off. I like the old setups with head units, where the "remote" switch from the head unit turned the amp on.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
JBL is Junk, But Loud. The 2 ohm impedance is not a problem all by itself.

Here's you BT source:
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers-electronics-bluetooth-accessories

Level control/line driver because using the volume on the phone or pad gets old quick

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-audio-system-expansion-98117

4 channel power sports amplifier

http://www.jlaudio.com/hx280-4-car-audio-hx-amplifiers-98401

Amplified subwoofer featuring an actual subwoofer and amplifier.

http://www.jlaudio.com/acp110lg-tw1-car-audio-microsub-amplified-subwoofer-systems-93332

sixstringsteve

thanks for those links. I don't need audiophile quality, since all my music will be compressed anyway. Am I going to hear a difference between JBL and JL 6x8s?

sixstringsteve

Now I'm wondering if it's even worth running speakers in the back doors. We'll always be sitting in the front, so maybe 4 speakers is all I need. That'd sure simplify things.