Paint and autobody suggestions

str8axleguy

Hey just wanting to get the samurai repainted late this winter or early spring. I don't think I am quite capable of doing it and don't really have the time and space to devote to it. Any one have any suggestions of someone that does a good job on the cheaper side. I can't really justify a 2k paint job for a samurai. It does need some body work, dents, dings and some rust fixed any ideas? Thanks in advance

rollover

FWIW

Macco runs a special Jan-Feb area every year. The Presidential paint job (Their top of the line) at half price. I'm sure that the body work is higher then but the paints worth the $.

str8axleguy

Ya I thought that may be a decent route to go, has anyone had them paint something before? I don't really have a set price to spend but I had a truck custom painted a while back it turned out good and looed good but didn't hold up very well. It was a regular cab long bed old chevy and it cost about 4500. I have had some paint work done by Alpine in Ogden and they do a great job but it's spendy. I am not looking for show quality but durability and a quality job. I would hope to get it done for around 1000 or so, don't know if that's realistic or not.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ya I thought that may be a decent route to go, has anyone had them paint something before? I don't really have a set price to spend but I had a truck custom painted a while back it turned out good and look good but didn't hold up very well. I was a regular cab long bed old chevy and it cost about 4500. I have had some paint work done by Alpine in Ogden and they do a great job but it's spendy. I am not looking for show quality but durability and a quality job. I would hope to get it done for around 1000 or so, don't know if that's realistic or not.

Decent paint will run you at least $500. Add some catalyzed primer for $150. Misc. supplies (tape, paper, sandpaper, etc.) will be at least another $150. You've got at least $800 in hard costs. That's a LOT of work for someone for $200 in labor.

str8axleguy

Ya figured as much maybe I will have to just make time and buy a book and learn how to do it myself. I think that is the best way as far a budget goes but I am just nervous as to doing it all correctly, I have had things professionally done that had issues and don't want to do it two or three times, might still get a quote from maaco. And keep the suggestions coming Thanks

rholbrook

If I remember it was around a grand. I had some rust they had to fix and it was two tone. I stripped all the chrome and molding myself otherwise they would mask it off.

str8axleguy

Cool thanks for the input I would take everything off to make their job easier, including glass. I will go see them, glad you had good results.

Caleb

My brother had his Cherokee painted at Macco several years ago. It turned out exactly how you'd expect a ~$600 paint job to turn out. Was it show quality, not even close, was it better than what was there, absolutely. We did all the body work on it and removed all trim so all they had to do was tape off the glass and spray. Becareful though, they did paint his tires (luckily they were old crappy ones).