Paul R's 97 Tacoma

Owners Name & City-
Paul Rossiter Logan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-
1997 Toyota Xtracab Tacoma

Engine-
3.4 stock V6 120k miles

Transmission-
Stock 5 speed I think that means it is the R150?

T-Case-
Stock chain driven taco case

Axles-
Front is the stock clam shell dif and IFS

Rear is the non TRD 8.4 rear end I may eventually put an ARB back there but I am in no hurry. If anyone has a complete TRD rear axel for cheap let me know :)

Suspension-
Front - OME 882 Front Coil Springs
Rear - OME Dakar CS 046R A/B Rear Leaf Springs

Wheels and Tires-
32" MTR's on black steel 15" wheels

Winch-
None yet, but I hope to get one soon... probably a Warn M8000 or I might try the smitty built.

Favorite Trails-
Well, I only purchased this recently and the only real trail it has seen is Flat Iron Mesa, but that will all change soon :)

Other-
ARB Front Bumper w/ Hella 500 lights
Rock Sliders w/ rock lights
Safari Snorkel
Yaesu FT-7800 Dual band HAM radio
Mombasa Roof Top Tent on custom built bed rack

I think over all this truck will suit me well for what I want to do with it. I needed something to get out and be outside more and something to entice the wife to want to go as well I am striving to create something that is relatively affordable, capable, and comfortable. This by no means is meant to be extreme rather a solid start on an expedition/exploration rig that would easily support vehicle dependant travel.

So far I have been really impressed with it after its maiden voyage, it did decent on the trail, the tent works great and the wife loves it. :cool:

My future list of mods are:
On Board Air
Rear bumper with some better protection and perhaps a swing out tire carrier and jerry can holders
Lockers/gears
More comfortable seats or seat covers
Winch
Dual Batteries
Aux. Fuse and relay block
Car PC with GPS Navigation

Pics:
This is how it was when I bought it
2258037835_0d93da7aca.jpg

Flat Iron Mesa
2358554871_d822090cac.jpg

Tent set up
2359388898_7d89b58677.jpg

In Castle Valley
2358554947_666c2069ed.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks great Paul, I love what you've done with it! I'm a bit jealous... I'd love to have an expedition rig similar to what your doing.

Oh, where'd you get that pop-up tent? I've never heard of Mombasa, but it looks roomy.

Paul R

Looks great Paul, I love what you've done with it! I'm a bit jealous... I'd love to have an expedition rig similar to what your doing.

Oh, where'd you get that pop-up tent? I've never heard of Mombasa, but it looks roomy.

Thanks!
It is an early style Mombasa it is great 6' by 7' inside when it is set up :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Oh, where'd you get that pop-up tent? I've never heard of Mombasa, but it looks roomy.

Greg, if your interested I might know of a couple more NIB early gen Momabasas here in SLC (~$450). They are the best tent for the price, no two ways about it. There are alot of things the modified and updated with their new unit, but at double the cost its hard to swallow. I sold my early Mombasa to a gentleman here on RME... but there are more floating around the valley for sure.

Paul, your truck is looking great, I really love white... hits home to me :D

Can't wait to get out on the trails with you!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, if your interested I might know of a couple more NIB early gen Momabasas here in SLC (~$450). They are the best tent for the price, no two ways about it. There are alot of things the modified and updated with their new unit, but at double the cost its hard to swallow. I sold my early Mombasa to a gentleman here on RME... but there are more floating around the valley for sure.

Hummm... if a had a vehicle to put one on, I'd be all over it. I appreciate the mention though Kurt.

Paul R

Paul, your truck is looking great, I really love white... hits home to me :D

Can't wait to get out on the trails with you!

Thanks! :)
I wanted the white after having my old black 84 with no A/C, but I have had a lot of people say it was like your old one;)

I would love to get out on one of your trips, I love all the history you put into the trip reports.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Looks great Paul! I would have sworn it was Kurt's had I not seen it stock.

Talk to me about the Snorkle; Any vibrations, chaffing or buffeting from it on the highway?

Paul R

Talk to me about the Snorkle; Any vibrations, chaffing or buffeting from it on the highway?

Thanks John! :)

The snorkel is great! It is mounted super solid and has no noises at all on the freeway course not that I can hear over the MTR's. No rattle or chaffing that I can see other than a 3 1/4" hole in my fender ;)

I didn't drill all my holes other than the intake hole as large as is spec, and I'm glad I didn't. I think 1/2" for the three around the snorkel and just a hole smaller than the little nylon insert on the A-pillar and used a file to make it square it is totally tight, no wiggle at all!

Paul R

I haven't done the deck plate yet as going from the 4 cyl 22r to 3.4 v6 hasn't left me begging for power especially with the manual tranny, but I've thought about it... Have you done it? how is it?

Honestly I haven't heard any difference with the snorkel.
Kurt is definately the man to grab it from! :D

If you wanna borrow my hole saw when you do it let me know...

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Have you done it? how is it?

Originally I had the K&N FIPK II installed and it helped with power, mileage and sounded sweet and looked really cool.--I have this mostly complete FOR SALE--

I recently swapped in my stock box and modded the DP, it's quieter and produces the same seat of the pant power, I swapped it so I could eventually do the snorkel...originally I was going to S/C but I've decided not to...Anyway I highly reccommend the DP and for 8.00 at a Marine store you cant go wrong.

If you want to "sample" the DP and ISR simply open the top of your airbox and drive like that for a while after pulling your EFI fuse under the hood for 10min so the ECU can re-calibrate faster to the additional air flow.