Pessimist Prime? A cabover crawler hauler

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Ambition has still been fairly low but it is starting to come.

Most think visors are cheesy and I’m not saying they aren’t, But

IMG_6772.jpeg

I like it.

The new oil pan went on with no problems

Finally got license plates for it

Also got a new drivers seat. I had planned on buying a super nice Knoedler seat for it. The one I wanted was over 2k.

I chickened out and just got a legacy seat for well less than half that price. It looks nice and is fairly comfy. Feels fairly similar to what was in the Volvo. I’ll have to get a pic

As for the check engine codes, One is for oil pressure and one is for boost. I bought a scanguage and interesting enough neither one of those sensors are sending a reading to the ECM. Haven’t dug into it yet but I’m hopeful it’s just sensors or wiring.

I did find out the boost code will put the truck in limp mode. Governed at 15 psi. Exactly where it was on the drive. Pretty confident when I get that fixed the power is going to be acceptable

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ambition has still been fairly low but it is starting to come.

Most think visors are cheesy and I’m not saying they aren’t, But

View attachment 174915

I like it.

The new oil pan went on with no problems

Finally got license plates for it

Also got a new drivers seat. I had planned on buying a super nice Knoedler seat for it. The one I wanted was over 2k.

I chickened out and just got a legacy seat for well less than half that price. It looks nice and is fairly comfy. Feels fairly similar to what was in the Volvo. I’ll have to get a pic

As for the check engine codes, One is for oil pressure and one is for boost. I bought a scanguage and interesting enough neither one of those sensors are sending a reading to the ECM. Haven’t dug into it yet but I’m hopeful it’s just sensors or wiring.

I did find out the boost code will put the truck in limp mode. Governed at 15 psi. Exactly where it was on the drive. Pretty confident when I get that fixed the power is going to be acceptable
Yeah 15 psi is just for the Jake brake. Double that shit.

ChestonScout

I took the truck to Mt home Idaho for a sand drag this weekend. My buddy offered to help me with looking at the codes and figuring out some wiring while I was up.

Made a lot of progress. Got the boost sensor working and it’s now making 27 psi. Night and day difference. Figured out a few issues but unfortunately at the end of the day we found an exhaust manifold gasket was not installed correctly and with the newly found boost it was kind of an issue. I decided to leave the truck there and I’ll go back up this weekend to get that figured.

Oh, we got the ac blowing coolish as well 😎

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 36

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
27 psi probably makes it feel like a completely different truck.

I once had a boost tube clamp break while I was climbing that steep grade east of I-15 on I-70. That boost tube is right next to your leg on those trucks. I thought the motor blew, it was so loud.
Having blown a few boost tubes on 6.0's over the years, I can confirm, sounds like a gunshot. Also convenient that it only happens in the worst places.

ChestonScout

As you can see, that gasket wasn’t doing much.

Got new gaskets installed….correctly. I also noticed that my engine fan was stuck on all the time. Someone bypassed the ecm with a toggle switch. The air solenoid was working but clutch would not disengage.

After messing with it for awhile I did the right thing and smacked it with a hammer. The plates were rusted together. It broke loose! It’s still a little sticky but I’m hopeful it will work itself in. That’s good for more HP and better mpg for sure

Took it for a drive. I now hit 31.7 psi of boost! Ac held the charge over the week.

Things are definitely looking promising. I’ll drive it home tomorrow and will return and report IMG_6903.jpeg

IMG_6913.jpeg

ChestonScout

You guys friggin jinxed me

IMG_6915.jpeg

Drove from mountain home to snowville. Zero issues.

Stopped for a flying j slice of pizza and it blew off on the on ramp. Had to limp a few miles to the next exit to get it back together

Clamp bolt was stripped. Snugged it the best I could then stole a hose clamp off the air intake.

Drove pretty conservative the rest the way home and it stayed on.

I’ll put up another post from todays work and drive but I’m tired now

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You guys friggin jinxed me

View attachment 175818

Drove from mountain home to snowville. Zero issues.

Stopped for a flying j slice of pizza and it blew off on the on ramp. Had to limp a few miles to the next exit to get it back together

Clamp bolt was stripped. Snugged it the best I could then stole a hose clamp off the air intake.

Drove pretty conservative the rest the way home and it stayed on.

I’ll put up another post from todays work and drive but I’m tired now
Ah man! At least you knew exactly what happened as soon as it popped. I bet you yelled “F*€kin Hickey!” at the same time. 😂

When I blew one I had to limp my Frito Lay International for about 40 miles and buy a stainless hose clamp at Peterson Plumbing in Richfield. Good thing those chips are light.

ChestonScout

Well my plan was to hit the road early Sunday morning and maybe make it back in time for church.

My buddy that was helping me wanted to look at some of the extra wires and see if we could knock any of that out quick.

Before I knew it the whole dash was apart and about every loom opened up.

We filled a big garbage can with aftermarket wires. It appears it’s had a couple different PTOs, an APU, and the air ride cab is aftermarket.

When something was removed , wires literally clipped off and left. Live wires shorting out everywhere. Haha.

I ended up hitting the road at 7:00 pm. It’s a completely different ride now. I had the cruise set at 75. Some of the hills that slowed me down to 60 on the way there it motored right up with no shifting and stayed at 73.

Cab is way quieter with the exhaust leak fixed.

Just about the time I was feeling pretty good about it, the turbo boot let go. Haha. Not the end of the world but it made me remember it’s still an old oil field truck and my work is far from over.

But I didn’t have the urge to post it for sale for Pennies when I got home this trip. I suppose that’s a win

ChestonScout

Been slowly tinkering.

I should be leaving for ITTC a week from today. The plan was to have it ready to haul the camper and the family.

I got trailer wiring ran and a trailer brake. I found this converter box called a Jackalopee that converts the semi trailer wiring to standard RV 7 wire. It’s a little expensive for a weather proof box and a couple relays but it sure made wiring it all a breeze. I am no good at wiring so it was money well spent IMO

I will work on ghetto fabbin a trailer hitch onto the bed tomorrow after work. Should be fairly simple.
Inside I got the second of 3 headliner panels installed and bought a couple Amazon RV ceiling lights. Pretty slick

IMG_6946.jpeg

Slowly but….

I’ll just stick with slowly