General Tech Pinion angle question.

I went from a D60 to a 14 bolt in the back of my jeep. Hows my pinion angle look. I set it at 11.5 degrees off of the flat part on the 14 bolt. Which is what the driveshaft angle was with the D60. Didnt calculate for the 2" shorter snout. How bad does my driveline angles look. Its just a trailer queen crawler. Just worried about the 1310/1350 crossover at the yoke. Its a Dual Cardin out the tcase. I really dont wanna redo the damn ubolt eliminator bracket.

Drive shaft angles.jpg20171210_195527_resized.jpg

Pile of parts

Do you have an anti wrap device of some sort? The pinion will definitely rotate up more with torque. It would be better tilted down slightly but I'm not sure that you'll really have problem if wrap is kept under control.

Do you have an anti wrap device of some sort? The pinion will definitely rotate up more with torque. It would be better tilted down slightly but I'm not sure that you'll really have problem if wrap is kept under control.

I do not have any Antiwrap bars. Id rather just trim the blocks at angle. Its got 5.38s and 40s with a 4.0L its not going very fast anywhere. Just worried about having too much angle on the ujoint and snapping it all of the time when I flex. Or is wrap going to happen while slowly crawling?

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
For a trailer queen you will be fine. That would probably be fine at freeway speed. I would be more concerned about running those sissy straps:D. Wanna buy a 14 bolt shovel to protect them? I have a brand new blue torch fab one ill sell you for 50$

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The starting point of pinion angle depends on what driveshaft you have. I assume you have a CV style shaft. In that case the pinion and shaft should make a straight line. If you do not have a CV style shaft then the pinion to shaft angle should match the transmission output to shaft angle. Those two angle will offset each other and prevent vibration at speed. That's not a huge deal on a go slow rock crawler.

Some will say angle the pinion down a bit to help offset axle wrap. That will help a bit while traveling forward and binding up in the rocks. It will hurt you once you put it in reverse to try to back out of those rocks. Axle wrap happens in reverse too. I set my CV shafts up so they are straight in line with the shaft. You will know right away if you need to install an antiwrap bar of some sort. I had a jeep that was constantly splitting shafts apart because the wrap was so bad. The worst time was with the jeep hanging on a winch line on the Eagles Nest obstacle of Constrictor. Thats a fun spot to be under a Jeep putting it back together.

Thanks for the help guys. I took the wheels off and had the weight of the jeep on the rear axle without tires. Here's where it sits this morning with 0 torque applied. I think I'm just getting some serious axle wrap under load...

First pic is of the housing rib closest to the pinion, second is flat spot near rear housing lip, third is of driveshaft angle. They're all between 1-2 degrees of each other.

20171211_092629_resized.jpg20171211_092658_resized.jpg20171211_093500_resized.jpg20171211_093554_resized.jpg

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
If you do put an anti axle wrap bars on it be sure to truss the center section to the tubes really good and or just mount the anti axle wrap bars straight to the center section. Those 14b centers like to spin free from the axle tubes fairly easy especially the early models.