pipe benders!!

muleskinner

I'd still like to see a properly built schedule 40 cage, that has failed because of it being pipe. Too many sheeple jumping on the "pipe is for poop" bandwagon. The only disadvantage I see, is the weight difference.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
muleskinner said:
I'd still like to see a properly built schedule 40 cage, that has failed because of it being pipe.....

Well in a day of searching I still can't find any. There was one photo that I remember seeing that was of pipe across the front of a unimog windshield that failed a few inches away from the welded joint, but I can't find it now. That is one that I can think of that may have been a structural type failure. But who is to say that HREW, DOM or cromoly would not have failed in the same manner.

The pirate board is so full of pipe vs tube junk debate it is impossible to find the info you really need. Plus their search has been down making it tougher. Does anyone have some specs on pipe, HREW, DOM, Cromoly that they can post up on RME so that it is easier for the world to find? I believe it was posted in a magazine a few months ago but I forgot to look this morning, I will post up any info that it may have if I can find it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
muleskinner said:
I'd still like to see a properly built schedule 40 cage, that has failed because of it being pipe. Too many sheeple jumping on the "pipe is for poop" bandwagon. The only disadvantage I see, is the weight difference.
I'm with the crow man. If you do use pipe, and use it with the proper dies like the JD2 pipe dies, you should be careful to clean the pipe good. Pipe is often stored outside.

78mitsu

cruiseroutfit said:
Pipe is different than Tube, we all know that... but Pipe as used in the HF bender (Sch40) is NOT poo pipe, I can't figure out for the life of me why people keep using that connotation??

Has anyone ever looked at the strength numbers of sch40 versus DOM or HREW? You would be surprised ;), and yes DOM is much lighter than Sch40 (which happens to be its main advantage).

I know alot of people that have built compete cages out of sch40, HF benders, etc (Olly, Tracy Evans for example), they rolled more than the average and the cages did hold up fine...

Sure some may argue "if your going to do it, do it right...". I want to know who is actually heat treating their 4130 cages post TIG'n the joints... ;)

I have a Heat treated 4130 cage 1.75 095 . I can tell you welding 4130 is a pain to weld,

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
78mitsu said:
I have a Heat treated 4130 cage 1.75 095 . I can tell you welding 4130 is a pain to weld,

I can relate... we are right in the middle of our Mini-Baja chassis (4130) :cool:

I'de love to see some pics!

anvil

No, it's about welding 4130.

I've always liked welding 4130. The lower level of impurities makes it come out really clean. If you can weld mild steel of the same size and shape you shouldn't have any trouble with 4130.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
anvil said:

This is the first post..

have any of you guys had any experiences with the 12 ton harbor freight hydrolic bender?

I don't see the mention of welding.............:-\

78mitsu

anvil said:

I've always liked welding 4130. The lower level of impurities makes it come out really clean. If you can weld mild steel of the same size and shape you shouldn't have any trouble with 4130.

I'm not sure why I had such a problem, I set up the welder using DOM and played with it before I welded the chromo, I ended up having to turn it up significantly before it would really take, but as far as how clean the welds come out, I agree.

78mitsu

Shawn said:
This is the first post..

have any of you guys had any experiences with the 12 ton harbor freight hydrolic bender?

I don't see the mention of welding.............:-\

I though that had already been settled, skip the pipe kinker, unless you're kinking pipe.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
mwmx54 said:
:rolleyes: will i ever gonna find a bender?

I am working on putting together a group purchase for benders. We have been able to get a little bit lower price than the best price we could find, and hopefully the shipping will be reducted since they can put it all in one crate and send it to one location. If you are interested let me know, I am ready to order very soon, hopefully this week

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=28679