Pitman arm question

Justin Lake

I have a bent pitman arm and I am trying to track down new (stronger) one. The part# is 52038337 (fits 97 - 06 YJ/TJ with 3-4" lift) and I can't find any measurements online. I know someone on here has to have the same one. My question is, with it being bent I don't know what drop and exactly how long center to center it's supposed to be. It would be awesome if someone could get me the measurements or let me know if there is a stronger arm that replaces that part # and also accepts a 1 ton tie rod end. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Justin Lake

graves, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the quick reply. I thought they would break as well being a cast steel, but apparently not. Then I got to thinking maybe their designed to "give a little" for safety reasons. Wouldn't want one breaking due to a crack or something while driving down the freeway.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If it were cast iron it would be much more likely to break than cast steel. Pitman arms are also forged after casting and can be welded with ease.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Pretty sure I have a stock spare one in the garage somewhere, the stock ZJ pitman arm is already about a 2in drop vs the TJ one, haven't heard of them breaking very often either.

Justin Lake

Alright thanks. I think I need around a 2" drop. If you could check the part #stamped on the arm that would be good. The reason I need the 52038337 arm is because I designed the 3 link suspension to match that pitman arm, and I don't want to have to modify the track bar bracket to match a drag link with more or less angle due to a different arm.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
2" drop (from flat) is going to be a stock TJ arm. That part number is a stock TJ arm.
They are maybe $25 online. Hard to find at a junkyard.

XJ stock is about 1" more drop. ZJ slightly more than XJ.

the part # I have is 52005285 (TJ with 4" lift or stock ZJ drop). Of course reamed for a GM 1 ton TRE

Justin: I can't exactly remember your rig's setup, but if you have a D44 or D60 front and you're steering it off the stock knuckles you'll want a longer throw (eye to eye length) arm than that to get full lock to lock turning.
WJ, CJ, Waggy or FSB will work for length and drop.

The right way to do it to get full lock to lock steering is to measure the distance from the pivot point on the knuckle to the center hole that you are mounting your draglink to and get as close to the same length pitman as that measurement.

Good luck.

Last edited:

thenag

Justin: I can't exactly remember your rig's setup, but if you have a D44 or D60 front and you're steering it off the stock knuckles you'll want a longer throw (eye to eye length) arm than that to get full lock to lock turning.
WJ, CJ, Waggy or FSB will work for length and drop.

Good luck.

That's why my setup doesn't turn all the way to the stops... That never crossed my mind that I would want an arm with a longer throw...

Something else to re-re-engineer on the xj...

FSB=Full Size Bronco?

Thanks!

Nathan

Justin Lake

Thanks for all of the information guys. Graves your exactly right on the longer throw for a dana 60 I'll have to look into it. I think the reason the arm bent was because I bent the front of the frame right where the steering box brace connected and it pulled the steering box toward the pass. side too much and you know how much force a hydraulic ram has if there's nothing to stop it. Thanks again everyone I think I have the info I need and I'm going to use Graves advice and find the right arm I actually need.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Parts Mike was extremely helpful to me when I needed to fix my pitman arm problem. They are probably the most knowledgeable and helpful company on this subject. Very reasonable prices too.

Justin Lake

Alright cool, I'll look into it.

I might have found the one I need through parts mike, I just need to call them to make sure. It looks like around the same drop but a little bit longer and already reamed for the 1 ton TRE. I'll let you know what I find out Graves, thanks again.