Plea for Help, 350 with Vortec Heads

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson
Over this past weekend I put in some new Vortec heads into my old 350. The install so far as I can tell went without a hitch. Everything was put back as it should be. Got everything buttoned up and it justs cranks over without starting up. I have juice going to the dizzy, new coil, new module, new cap and rotor and bubkiss. I am getting gas too. Timing is spot on. I have tried starter fluid, a few shots and all I get is a backfire.

Anyone ran into a problem like this before? I have run out of ideas and nearly patience. Anyone close to Moab that wants to stop by!!!!:confused:;)

crazyyo

you might wanna check and make sure you have your firing order right i had a buddy put his plug wires on in a counter clockwise order when his distributor rotated clockwise :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's pretty easy to get the dizzy 180* off, been there, done that. I'm about 90 min away, might be able to run down on Thursday at the earliest.

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson
I am pretty sure that it is on, could be 180° out, but wouldn't I be getting some coughing or sputtering, something!!!!! grrrrrr

About the firing order, I wrote in silver sharpie matching boot to cap post.

thanks for the help.

bumpitorcrawlit

I really think you are at TDC on the exhaust stroke for your #1 cylinder. In other words 180 off. If you were just a tooth off or something you would get a poor running condition. Since you are getting nothing but backfire, I really think you are out 180. I know............it seems like you mark things a thousand times and it always seems to be 180 off. I did it each time that I tore a motor down this winter. Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Toyota. Get everything lined up the way you think it should be.........................then rotate the crank one revolution and line all your marks up again.......... it will fire immediatly. Good luck and happy motoring.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
uhm, Ryan, you're starting to make me feel bad for leaving. Really sounds like you're 180 off. Thats and the plugs being out of order are the only things that I can think off being wrong.