PLEASE HELP 06 rhino 660 banjo bolt stripped!

moabjeep77

Is there anyone on here capable or wiling to help me out with this. The bolt that holds the oil line on top of the valve cover stripped the threads inside the cover. Im supposed to go on a trip Saturday. Every shop I call is a week to two weeks out. It needs to be heli coiled or time serted. I would be grateful if someone could help me out please. Call or text 8018097522

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It's on top of the valve cover? Is it an oil line or vent tube?

Can you pull the valve cover and bring it to me? Shouldn't be to bad to run a coil in to it.

rholbrook

I would pull the head cover off but you may be able to but a longer bolt in it to get you through Saturday or you can put a helicoil in it. Either way, I would pull it off for ease of access and to make sure you dont get any shaving in the top end. I hate tightening bolts into aluminum.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
x2 on the longer bolt. Kind of hard to tell how thick that wall is. You may not want to drill it for a coil, depending on what kind you have. Or, a better idea maybe, step up to the very next size bolt, either metric or standard. That way you remove the least amount of material.

How much more thread is in the hole still? Have you looked for a longer bolt?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
x2 on the longer bolt. Kind of hard to tell how thick that wall is. You may not want to drill it for a coil, depending on what kind you have. Or, a better idea maybe, step up to the very next size bolt, either metric or standard. That way you remove the least amount of material.

How much more thread is in the hole still? Have you looked for a longer bolt?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
step up to the very next size bolt, either metric or standard.

This^ I've had to do this before. Assuming to banjo bolt is 10mm (you'll want to double check or this info is useless... ) you can tap the hole to fit a 7/16-20 banjo bolt. These are both very common sizes of banjo bolt so check your auto parts store/NAPA chances are they will have one.

You'll have to drill the end of the hose (the ring part) out to 7/16 so it will slide onto the new bolt but it will/should not effect oil flow because of how close the two sizes are from one another.

EDIT: Agreed with above. If you can get away with a longer bolt try that first. Use the proper torque spec.. It isn't very much.

Last edited: