Please school me on communication devices

sixstringsteve

I'm pretty sure I want the "connector" model that tethers to a cell phone. But you know how awesome these droid incredible batteries are. I'd be afraid that my phone battery would die right when I need to send an sos out. Just curious if the connector can send sos signals without the phone being tethered to it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm pretty sure I want the "connector" model that tethers to a cell phone. But you know how awesome these droid incredible batteries are. I'd be afraid that my phone battery would die right when I need to send an sos out. Just curious if the connector can send sos signals without the phone being tethered to it.

I've got a Droid powered HTC and I use a GPS Tracking app simply for documenting my trips, since my expensive Garmin Zumo is a piece of shit. These new smart phones chew thru the battery, so I picked up a USB power cable, then a USB power plug to get power from cigarette lighter plug. Mount the phone in a cradle and have all the power I need.

sixstringsteve

Which app are you using? I've used tracks to document my trip, but if I don't have cell signal then nobody really knows where I am. I'm worried about being stuck on my dirt bike up AF canyon with the spot connector and a dead cell phone. Just wondering if I could still get an sos message out via the spot connector only.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Which app are you using? I've used tracks to document my trip, but if I don't have cell signal then nobody really knows where I am. I'm worried about being stuck on my dirt bike up AF canyon with the spot connector and a dead cell phone. Just wondering if I could still get an sos message out via the spot connector only.

It's called My Tracks... but it's not reliable 100% of the time and it doesn't have any option to share a location with someone that may be watching you. It just documents your trail, like a regular ole GPS. Here- https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks

If your plan is to use something like this for dirtbiking, then IMO your best bet is the standalone SPOT. A long day on the dirtbike using a Droid with satellite tracking turned on will burn thru the battery pretty quick.

I don't know how the SPOT Connect works, but I would assume that you have to have a working cell phone to make the Connect send out messages.

Caleb

I have both the spot connect and a spot2. Personally I don't like the spot connect. The reliance on a cell phone makes it not as appealing for me. FWIW, you can start the tracking (need the cell phone to do that), then turn off your phone. It will continue to track. If you want to send any messages besides SOS, you need your phone. (you can send an SOS without the phone) The one benefit is you can have several different preset messages that you can send for free, or if you buy a texting package, you can send any text you want. I really like the SPOT2. No reliance on anything else other than having good batteries. You are still able to send an "I'm ok" message to anyone you put in your pre-determined list of contacts at any time. The tracking on both is pretty comparable. The thing that's nice about both is if you are in an area of spotty coverage (thick foliage, steep canyon walls, etc) it will continue to try to send until it gets it out.

If you want to get a SPOT2, I've got them in-stock (silver and orange). I can get the Connect, but I have to place a minimum order so before I order them, I would need to get atleast another person or two to commit. The cost is the same between the two, but the SPOT2 has a $50 mail-in rebate.

If you want to try either before you buy, I'd be happy to loan you mine, you would just have to track it on my profile. We could setup the contact lists to go to whoever you want so you could test sending "OK" messages, etc.

sixstringsteve

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for Caleb. Thanks! Sounds like the spot2 is the best solution for my needs. I assumed the connect package came with the texting package included.

Thanks for the offer to give it a try Caleb. Maybe we'll do that on our next ride. I'd love for my wife to be able to see how it works from her end before I commit to a year contract.

Caleb

If you have some time, come grab it from me. You have to set it up online, so we could do that then you could take it and use it a few times so you're sure it's what you want. Like Greg said, the year contract is a little pricey, but it's a lot like insurance, sucks to have to pay it but when you need it, you'll be glad you had it. I can also show you both so you can see each one first hand.

sixstringsteve

If it works as advertised and proves to be reliable, I will definitely justify the expense. It'd give me peace of mind as well when I'm out camping with the scouts and we don't have cell coverage. I'll swing by and grab it sometime Caleb. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bart

Lots of good information here. My wife has come up with her own system. She simply doubles the time I say I'll be gone and then adds an hour. I've almost never been late since she implemented that process.

Cascadia

Undecided
Lots of good information here. My wife has come up with her own system. She simply doubles the time I say I'll be gone and then adds an hour. I've almost never been late since she implemented that process.
Haha. That's what my wife does too Bart! I don't think she's been mad since we implemented that. I'm always right on time.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
my company is a dealer for Wilson Electronics that sells cellphone amplifiers... they have a universal cradle that connects to an amp that then goes out to a external antenna... this would extent your cell coverage some which might help you in some parts of the canyon...
we also sell alot of the business units that companies have no service at all in the basement and after we install the units they have 4 bars of service everywhere in the basement...

they even have one unit that is portable where you could take it in from your vehicle and put in your house to help boost signal in your house...

gijohn40

I believe I could get you the kit that comes with a 4 inch magnetic antenna and a cig lighter power adapter and the amp for right around $199 for the whole kit...

Now if we did a group buy I can get them down even lower....

Hickey there is a better one for truck drivers that has a 3 watt amp and is better suited for truckers that I would suggest for them... I will attach a pic of that set up here for you and Greg to look at...

gijohn40

mobile versions...

ok the first pic is the one that I would recommend to a truck driver... the next is if you have an Iphone or a blackberry.... the cradles ares build just for those phones and will increase the signal as well as allow you to have hands free operations for your phone...

The first one would run about $350 for amp, antenna and power supply.
The iphone cradle would run $250 for the cradle, antenna and power supply.

the difference between the two is that the first runs at 3 watts while the iphone cradle is only 1.4 watts...

and again if we did a group buy I could get the price down lower....

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 15

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I may be interested in a booster if a group buy forms. My biggest need is my home, my wife has an office in the basement but poor reception, would love to fix that.

I was in the bottom of Eagle Canyon (deep) in the middle of the SR Swell. Most don't even have surface and the mesa let alone in the canyons... a guy in our group had a mobile cell booster. He made a phone call to his tire shop to have them ship in a replacement. :cool: