police lockdown by 5 mile pass

yota boy

no fear yota boy is here
i got pulled over on the way to 5 mile pass a few days ago. I just felt like sharing. this is what i got ticketed for.

Additional lamps and reflectors (No rear side markers)
Tire Violation (width)(flares required) not complaining about this one
Additional lamps and reflectors(No rear/rear side reflectors)
Mudflap violation(large gap) i guess he means between my flat bed and the top of mud flap?
Improper display of plates (no front)
Faulty Equipment (half door missing) i dont understand how half doors are illegal when jeeps drive around all the time without doors? its basically the same thing as having my windows rolled down. . .

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Faulty equipment for half doors seems like a stretch to me.. Tube doors, perhaps they can get away with that; but half doors? Pretty lame.

yota boy

no fear yota boy is here
O another thing. there was 4 or 5 cops just sitting on the side of the road and about 2 minutes before i got pulled over a xterra going the other way got pulled over. and a cherokee that we saw on the trail got pulled over by the same guy i did just a few hours prior.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Faulty Equipment (half door missing) i dont understand how half doors are illegal when jeeps drive around all the time without doors? its basically the same thing as having my windows rolled down. . .

Jeeps come with the option of doors. Most all other vehicles, they are not an option, but required equipment.

This is how it was explained to me in Moab a few years back. Not that I agree, but...

I would guess they were looking for DUI's, but fix it tickets are easy money.

krany

kranberry
Jeeps come with the option of doors. Most all other vehicles, they are not an option, but required equipment.

This is how it was explained to me in Moab a few years back. Not that I agree, but...
thats exactly how it was explained to me aswell when i contacted uhp about it, if the vehicle itself is made to where the doors are not made to come off i.e Toyota trucks, xj's etc. meaning if the doors aren't made to come off from factory then they shouldn't be off.

yota boy

no fear yota boy is here
i think that is pretty lame. so could these just be fix it tickets? where if i fix it and show them then i dont have to pay?

krany

kranberry
i think that is pretty lame. so could these just be fix it tickets? where if i fix it and show them then i dont have to pay?
it should say on your ticket in the violation section as to what it was( atleast mine does anyways.) and there will be a box or something similar that says code type: FIXIT, you have to take it to any police officer to have it checked off showing you fixed the required things and then you have to take it to the office of whoever pulled you over and thats it, sandy pd told me 2 weeks to fix it before i get fined so i assume it would be the same for whoever pulled you over.

pELYgroso

'Merica
My guess is they were looking for revenue.

I agree. Cops know that there are always rigs heading out that way with "iffy" safety standards. There's always a cop or two sitting somewhere between the ranches light and cedar fort, and there's always a rig being pulled over when I'm heading out there. I can't even recall if I've ever seen a "normal" vehicle pulled over out there.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I can honestly say I have never seen a cop on the Tooele County side, except for the Sheriff's deputy that passed me and waved while I was doing around 90 through the whoop-de-doos near the entrance to the Chemical Depot. :D

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I've never had any issues driving out there...

But I have had my share of fixit tickets in the past, So I know what I need to do to keep it legit.
Good luck

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
With any luck they were looking for law breakers. Now if they would only enforce the speed limits!!! Right Tacoma???

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you're doors are "half doors", then by definition they are cut from somewhere under the window and seal up at the rocker (lowest section).. If they are "tube doors", by definition the door is more of a skelaton structure to keep the occupant in - but nothing else (crap loose in the truck). I've been hassled and heard of hasslings over tube doors for the reasons sited above - 'not equiped from the factory with removable doors'.. But, a 'half door' is not a "removable door".. It the OE door fabbed to allow better view of tire placement..

So, if you have true half-doors i'd get another opinion. If they are "tube-doors" you just need to throw on some OE doors and get it signed. The arguements i've heard on Johnny Law's side is that the vehicle that have OE removable doors have a lip at the bottom to prevent crap from rolling out of the vehicle.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I was so sick of trying to keep the the cops off my back with the old XJ so when i built my new rig i did whatever the heck i wanted and now i just tow it anyways its kind of a pain having to load it up all the time but its nice not having to drive a jeep to the trail hop in the truck with leather and AC away we go

Houndoc

With any luck they were looking for law breakers. Now if they would only enforce the speed limits!!! Right Tacoma???

:rofl:

Others hit the nail on the head....keep it legal and you have no problems.

I would bet that if you show you have made the needed fixes, you should have not problems getting it cleared without any fines. If it was writen as a violation, and not a fixit ticket, make the repairs and then fight it in court. Bet you would still get off, or at least have the fines greatly reduced.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(

the old days of fixit tickets has passed... now a days if you get one you have to fix the problem then have an officer sign off on it and then go PAY THE FINE....

My son got a fixit ticket for a burnt out headlight... we fixed it and still had to pay $40 for the fine....

ricsrx

the old days of fixit tickets has passed... now a days if you get one you have to fix the problem then have an officer sign off on it and then go PAY THE FINE....

My son got a fixit ticket for a burnt out headlight... we fixed it and still had to pay $40 for the fine....

X2... Same for me on my old red neck 70 GMC, he pulled me over for the tail light, then was pissed he couldnt find any thing more, DUI or drugs.
replaced bulb and $35 for the man.
South Jordan Cops really do suck.....HARD

You notice how a criminal will risk his life for $20... and a cop makes about $20 bucks an hour and will risk his life for the same 20.... go figure.