Pony Express

bobmed

- - - -
Last friday morning i was up at 3am and wanted to go get some breakfast at a sit down restaurant.
I went by Village inn, 2 JB'S and a dennys but none were opening until 6am.
I started driving thinking of where to eat and ended up driving along the Pony Express Trail. I stopped at the geode beds and picked up some geodes and took a cutoff onto the old Callao road into Gold Hill. I stopped in Wendover for a couple of McDonalds cheesburgers and started back. I went the opposite way out of Gold Hill and went through Overland Canyon. I also stopped both ways in Fish Springs.
The main road is very smooth all the way.
I can't post pics yet because the dog ate the camera usb cable and my memory card readers won't read these stupid olympus xd cards so pics later.
I do have a googleearth kmz file of the route.

Attachments

• wen.kmz
    56 KB · Views: 37

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
That's one hell of a detour for breakfast, but it sounds like something I'd do too!

Looking forward to pics!:)

bobmed

- - - -
finally got the pics

Highway 36 and Pony Express

1petsign.jpg

Lookout Pass

2lookout.jpg

Wild Horses

3horse.jpg

Simpson Springs

4simpson.jpg

Heading west

5west.jpg

New signs since the last time I was out there

6newsigns.jpg

and a new cement marker

7cementmarker.jpg

Geode beds turnoff

8geodes.jpg

Fish Springs

9fspring.jpg

10fspring.jpg

Last edited:

redneckbronco

That looks like a fun ride, were did you start is that out near 5mile? I think the kids would enjoy lookin for Geodes, and seein the old mine.

bobmed

- - - -
Just west of five mile the road splits with 73 to the right and the left goes to Faust and highway 36.
Turn left on 36 and the sign for the Pony express Trail is just a short way on the right. I think the geode beds are about 100 miles out.
Take lots of water or drinks, it's pretty isolated and sometimes there's not much traffic if any at all.
The raod is almost like driving on a paved road with some washboarding.
If it rains some spots will get muddy but most of the time it's a pretty easy drive.

Just west of five mile the road splits with 73 to the right and the left goes to Faust and highway 36.
Turn left on 36 and the sign for the Pony express Trail is just a short way on the right. I think the geode beds are about 100 miles out.
Take lots of water or drinks, it's pretty isolated and sometimes there's not much traffic if any at all.
The raod is almost like driving on a paved road with some washboarding.
If it rains some spots will get muddy but most of the time it's a pretty easy drive.

so i guess I could just take the tow rig out there :)

Just a note if you haven't traveled much out there. The gravel road is smooth, but made up of fairly sharp rocks. Its not uncommon to have multiple flats - especially if driving fast and/or with non-truck rated tires.

bobmed

- - - -
Very good point.
I carry a portable commpressor and plug kit even with good tires.
I have seen quite a few vehicles over the years on the side of the road changing tires.