portal axles

Will3161

The problem with the toycrawlbox is that it's designed higher in the drivetrain, therefore it's designed less ridged, because it has no need to be more ridged. For example, part are designed in a pecking order of strength, tranny-tcase-diff-axles a Toyota tcase input is 21 spline, an output is 27 spline, usually pinion gears are 27 spline, then axles are 30 spline with every gear reduction you are putting more stress on parts and woul require stronger parts, a 21 or even 23 spline crawlbox wouldnt last at the end of a 30 spline axle, not to mention the housing itself

That is very good to know and think about.

Thanks for the responses! This is really useful to figure out what direction we should go. Keep 'em coming!

What do you think about optional gear reduction? That is, you could order them with a gear reduction of some amount, or, if you're already geared down, you could get one with a 1:1 ratio, and use them more for the ground clearance.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Gearmaster in Aussie already has bolt on portal units for popular Toyota & Nissan axles:
PICT1449.JPG

As a fellow UofU ME, I'm dissapointed in your proof of concept and initial research ;)

:D

Problem with Toyota axles and bolt-on portals, knuckle bearings. They are already stressed with a standard setup, let alone wheel spacers and low back-space wheels, add the moment of a portal in there and they are surely a weak link. Aussie's use their rigs far differently than the average Toyota enthusiast here does... what works for them will not always work for us.

Who is the faculty adviser for this project?

Will3161

Gearmaster in Aussie already has bolt on portal units for popular Toyota & Nissan axles:
PICT1449.JPG

As a fellow UofU ME, I'm dissapointed in your proof of concept and initial research ;)

:D

Problem with Toyota axles and bolt-on portals, knuckle bearings. They are already stressed with a standard setup, let alone wheel spacers and low back-space wheels, add the moment of a portal in there and they are surely a weak link. Aussie's use their rigs far differently than the average Toyota enthusiast here does... what works for them will not always work for us.

Who is the faculty adviser for this project?

Good thing I wasn't the one that came up with the idea first:D

Professor Minor is the advisor.