Post Stub Trail Borders

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
What do you guys think of these trail borders? I like that they don't stand out a lot. I read a post where a guy said a lot of trails in Colorado have medal pipes with chain between them. I like that idea too but something about the wooden posts make it seem more ... natural? ... I guess. ha Thoughts?

Attachments

• trail-border-stubs.jpg
    trail-border-stubs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 18

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I don't see the purpose. Unless you are using them to attach your winch to. :hickey:

I guess it makes me think the next thing they will do is put a velvet rope up around the grand canyon to keep the tourists from getting to close to the edge.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
I don't see the purpose.
I was just thinking of all the stories i've read where someone went off the trail and tore up some field or hillside. My guess is that these people think everything in the hills, mountains, etc. is free game to ride around on. If something like this lined the side of a trail where there could be a problem, or already is a problem, people would realize they shouldn't be off the trail. It seems like it takes more than a little flimsy plastic post for people to notice (or care).

Last edited:

1995zj

I'm addicted
It seems like A TON of work and money that MIGHT help the problem. I think the people that do go tear up the other fields/hills that they shouldn't be on, are just going to drive over these posts anyway.

Jesser04

I was just thinking of all the stories i've read where someone went off the trail and tore up some field or hillside. My guess is that these people think everything in the hills, mountains, etc. is free game to ride around on. If something like this lined the side of a trail where there could be a problem, or already is a problem, people would realize they shouldn't be off the trail. It seems like it takes more than a little flimsy plastic post for people to notice (or care).

I think you could put up a brick wall and the few idiots will find away around it. IMO they know they shouldn't be off the trail, they just plain and simple don't give a damn about anyone but them selfs.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Hardly noticeable? Right..

It seems like A TON of work and money that MIGHT help the problem. I think the people that do go tear up the other fields/hills that they shouldn't be on, are just going to drive over these posts anyway.

Tyler hit the nail on the head. The ignoramous, or otherwise just destructive and disrespectful A-holes that drive where ever they want anyways will go around/over those post stubs. All those effectively get done is waste precious time and money into a new obstacle for the 1% of guys who just don't give a sh!t that they're there.. and there for a purpose. All it takes is one set of tracks to ruin it for everyone..

I was coming down Butterfield Canyon on Saturday.. Holy sh!t, their method to curb illegal routes are giant concrete barriers that you see dividing highways.. Unreal.. It looked absolutely horrible.

I'll add that I don't like seeing this added crap to a trail to keep the 1% on the trail.. Instead of going through with a massive plan that is short of bulldozing and paving a road, I say increase LEO presence, and fine the living hell out of these offenders. Slap enough people really hard with tall fines, and the word will spread real fast about screwing around off trail.. You can get your equipment confiscated for poaching, or other hunting related crimes.. Why not confiscate the truck, buggy, atv, bike, RV, etc of those found blatantly destroying the land? Easier said than done, yes, but I'll avoid a trail with stumps every 4 feet to remind me where to go.. That'd feel like a grown up Autotopia ride at Disneyland.. No thanks..

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I was coming down Butterfield Canyon on Saturday.. Holy sh!t, their method to curb illegal routes are giant concrete barriers that you see dividing highways.. Unreal.. It looked absolutely horrible.

Did you also notice that around many of them new routes had been made.. Stupid people are going to continue to do stupid things no matter what you put up there.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Did you also notice that around many of them new routes had been made.. Stupid people are going to continue to do stupid things no matter what you put up there.

Sure did, it's sad. Funny thing is, I don't recall seeing one atv.. Which is weird cause it was such a nice day.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
They probably stick to flimsy plastic posts for a few reasons, cheap to make, cheap to install and if someone hits them it doesn't break or damage anything. The posts in the picture look like the ones they use for guard rails and if you are spacing them tight enough a vehicle can't get through it's probably going to take some funds. Normally I see large boulders blocking access for a more natural look, no idea what they cost to place.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Just for reference, I did find the post about Colorado fencing. Looks like they used cable instead of chain. :eek: Heavy duty stuff. I would prefer the wooden fencing (like was done in American Fork Canyon last NPLD).

Attachments

• Colorady-Fence.jpg
    Colorady-Fence.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 13

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Huge fines or vehicle confiscation. People don't seem to understand things unless it directly affects THEM

There needs to be some degree of leeway here. I've been on trails that split and both aren't marked but further down the trail one of them has a route closed sign and the other does not when they rejoin. If I've never been on the trail before and both are within 40 feet of each other my GPS or map isn't going to tell me which one is right and which one is wrong (assuming I loaded the trail in my GPS). There is such a thing as an honest mistake.

Someone doing donuts in wetlands is one thing and being on pavement is another but there are gray areas out there. Just to throw a little more Gray area out there what is off the trail? If I get to the side and turn off my truck when horse riders are approaching could I get fined if I got over too far? My vehicle impounded for putting a tire on some grass? What about if an area opens up into a big sandy area and you just straight line the entrance and exit and later you find the "trail" showed it marked in an arch along the edge?