Powerstroke Question

JPTHING

My truck started acting up, it will start, I have to floor the throttle to keep it running, run for 30 seconds while floored, and then slowly reduce rpms, then die. Any ideas, I had to leave it at the house I was working at so I can't run any diagnostics

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
What year PSD? I'm thinking you have air getting in before the lift pump. The lift pump will hold prime to the IP, but as it uses fuel air is being sucked in causing the stall. Check the engine valley for fuel towards the firewall. Just a guess hope you can figure it out :-\

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
this is going to sound stupid but how long has it been since you changed the oil?

My 02 was kind of doing the same thing. It was ok when the motor got warm but cold it would start but not stay running. Then it sounded like it wasnt getting any fuel.

The injectors are run off of oil pressure so if you have bad oil or low oil you dont have enough fuel pressure.

I was 3 or 4 thousand miles over. Got it changed and it runs perfect again. I did this the day before I had it scheduled to go in the shop.

JPTHING

this is going to sound stupid but how long has it been since you changed the oil?

My 02 was kind of doing the same thing. It was ok when the motor got warm but cold it would start but not stay running. Then it sounded like it wasnt getting any fuel.

The injectors are run off of oil pressure so if you have bad oil or low oil you dont have enough fuel pressure.

I was 3 or 4 thousand miles over. Got it changed and it runs perfect again. I did this the day before I had it scheduled to go in the shop.

Crazy thing is that it don't sound so stupid, the wife called that one. I said it had nothing to do with OIL. It has been probably 6k miles, so that would be just about right.

JPTHING

Sorry didn't supply the info 1999 PSD I also have the superchips programmer.
Also a lot of items were going weird, wipers were on when the switch wasn't on, the #1 relay was clicking, sounded like stereo was groaning, ect. all this latter stuff happened when battery went mostly dead from cranking. Is this normal?

chadschoon

You probably have two filters. At least my 04 does. There is one on top of the motor and one built into the pump. My pump is on the frame rail under the driver.

Meat_

Banned
If you've had it for more than 15,000 miles and you don't know where the filter is, I'll pretty much guarantee they filter is plugged ;)

I know the big one is on the top of the motor and it costs $36.99 at Checkers.... sometime soon I'll be able to tell you exactly where it is after I motivate myself to change one.

Is this normal?
Sounds like Ford SOP to me :D

"It's a feature!"

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Your fuel filter is right on the top of the engine in the front middle. The cap is about the size of a tennis ball and requires just a 1/2 drive to remove. On the the super chips programmer is that the chip? My old super chip caused the same type of problem on a trip about 3 years ago, removed the chip thanks to Goat, and ran great again

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If your not running anti-gel, running crap fuel because it's cheap (where do you usually get diesel?), and your filter hasn't been changed at regular intervals then it's very possible it's fuel related.

Change your oil, change your oil filter, change your fuel filter add a double dose of Howe's (or other) and then see how it acts.

I've seen gelled fuel right at the pumps :eek: too many times at gas station/quicky marts. For that reason I buy from truck stops because they cannot affort the liability of having semi's gelled so you know their fuels treated every time ;)

JPTHING

I buy fuel from Flying J, Maverik, or Chevron. I thought that was the fuel filter on the engine, and I figured the fuel pump was on the frame by the look at the pump itself. I used to change the oil every 4k but now money is tight, and haven't been able to afford the $100 every time it has to be changed. The best part is that the batteries are also bad, so the damn thing is going to cost even more money. I really appreciate all the help.