Pritchett 10/11

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Pics! Strangely enough, they're mostly of Rockmonkey. (Mandy didn't get out of the 4runner that often)

IMG_1132.jpg

Wow, I really need to get that winch fixed. :eek:

Thanks for the pics! :cool:

Lifelong Jeeper

I see our fence is still intact around Chewy!

I'm curious why it was decided to build this fence there? (Other than to keep people out.) Why, of all the area in that canyon, was that particular spot protected? From the top of the hill, it just goes back 50 feet and then stops. Why not put a winch point up there to allow for a straight up winch point, if needed, and then continue on the trail from up there. When we last did the trail, there was only one winch anchor at the top, right side of the hill which only made for unsafe, sideward pull winching.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
rock monkey where did you get the cool RME sticker in your rear window ? did you have it made ? i would proudly fly the RME flag ! please let me know
thanks
I got it from Herzog. I believe he said it was the last one... :(
I'm curious why it was decided to build this fence there? (Other than to keep people out.) Why, of all the area in that canyon, was that particular spot protected? From the top of the hill, it just goes back 50 feet and then stops. Why not put a winch point up there to allow for a straight up winch point, if needed, and then continue on the trail from up there. When we last did the trail, there was only one winch anchor at the top, right side of the hill which only made for unsafe, sideward pull winching.

There is a winch point at the fence, so you can winch straight up. The fence is there because as the obstacle got tougher and tougher, people went further and further left towards the top to make it easier. The fence put a limit at how far left people can go. This trail is a perfect example of how a trail can get widened by use over time.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks RockMonkey, your answer was right on.

Nobody likes to see a trail go from a two-track to a 100 ft wide mess. On top of that, Pritchett Canyon id the boundary to the Behind-The-Rocks Wilderness Study Area (WSA). Anything to the left side of the trail is technically within the WSA, whicj is off limits to motorized use.

Also, there are now 2 winch anchors at Chewy, one half way up and one at the top. The first anchor aloows a straight pull from the bottom. People can then re-attach to the second anchor if needed.

Of course, there as always the option of turning back if the trail is too difficult...

Lifelong Jeeper

Of course, there as always the option of turning back if the trail is too difficult...

Thanks for answering. Yes it has gone really wide left, but wouldn't a fence running up the hill versus across the top have been a more effective control for that? And the reason you gave for it being the boundary to the WSA, I can see some logic there too. The second winch point, I'm sure is great.

However, just because I needed a winch on that hill, doesn't mean that I should just turn around and go home. Even the "big boys" equip their rigs with winches to make it up the obstacles that are outside the laws of physics and gravity for their rig (i.e. Upper Heldorado, Eagle's Nest, Sections of the Rubicon, etc). Isn't that part of the intrigue and draw to our sport...the adrenaline rushes? While that hill kicked my butt, I'm of the mindset that I'd rather winch than break/roll. Besides, it'll protect the hill by not spinning tires all the way up and digging it out deeper and wider, right? Not to mention the surrounding environment not getting soaked in oil or other fluids after breaking parts or rolling. I've been wheeling for 15+ years as a driver, and most of my life otherwise and pretty well know what I'm doing out there and have quite a capable rig: TJ, 4" lift, 4:1, Lockers F&R, on 35's.

BTW, "I LUV PRITCHETT" too. By far the most fun that I have had in Moab to date. I ask questions not because I don't belong, but because I want to be educated on what's going on around me. I thought the fence placement was odd and have wondered about it for a year and a half or so. That's all.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
All I was looking for was the reason as to why the fence was there and I can understand the reasons given. Yes it has gone really wide left, but wouldn't a fence running up the hill versus across the top have been a more effective control for that? And the reason you gave for it being the boundary to the WSA, I can see some logic there. The second winch point, I'm sure is great.

But what I was sure would happen by asking the question is that I was going to be belittled and told that because I needed a winch on that hill, that I should just turn around and go home. Last I checked, even the "big boys" equip their rigs with winches. Why would they do that if, according to what you're saying, they would get to an obstacle, see that it is outside the laws of physics and gravity for their rig (i.e. Upper Heldorado, Eagle's Nest, Sections of the Rubicon, etc.), and so then just decide to turn around go home? The answer is because even they use winches. Isn't that part of the intrigue and draw to our sport...the adrenaline rushes? Besides, wouldn't it make more sense to protect the hill by not spinning tires all the way up and digging it out deeper and wider by hooking up a winch and slowly crawling up it? Wouldn't it protect the surrounding environment to not have spilled oil or other fluids after breaking parts or rolling because someone choose to be safe by using a winch? I've been wheeling for 15+ years as a driver, and most of my life otherwise. I know what I'm doing out there and have quite a capable rig: TJ, 4" lift, 4:1, Lockers F&R, on 35's. I knew somebody was going to have to get their digs in.

BTW, "I LUV PRITCHETT" too. By far the most fun that I have had in Moab. Just because somebody asks questions doesn't mean they don't belong. I ask them to become educated to be able to understand what's going on around me. I thought the fence placement was odd and have wondered about it for a year and a half or so, hence here we are.

I really don't think anybody's comments were meant to say you don't belong on the trail... I sure didn't see it that way.:)

Lifelong Jeeper

Wow. Bryson, thanks for pointing that out. My response had a lot of bite to it, which wasn't intended while I wrote it. I edited my post to clarify my original thoughts and change the mood a bit. Proof reading is always best. Thanks again.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Lifelong Jeeper, I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't be on the trail, or that you shouldn't use your winch. We put the anchors there for a reason, and I would much rather see the anchors used rather than new bypasses being created or the trail being continually widened, etc.

I think it is great when someone with a lesser equipped rig or inexperience (I'm not saying this is you, I'm just talking in general) wants to tackle a tough trail. However, I would always suggest to that person that he knows beforehand exactly what he is getting into, and that he travels with someone or a group that has the skill and experience to help him through.

This last Saturday I ran Pritchett with a group of fellow RME'ers. There were more people on Pritchett that day than any other time I have ever seen with the exception of EJS. Unfortunately, the first group on the trail consisted of maybe 8 or 10 jeeps that had absolutely no business being on the trail. They winched every vehicle over virtually every obstacle, while the groups behind them backed up into a very large traffic jam. Yes, they made it through, I'm sure they had a great time, and they did not damage the trail in any way that I observed... they just annoyed a lot of people behind them. But too many times groups / individuals like these end up breaking parts, causing resource damage, or getting someone hurt. And I almost NEVER see someone actually turn around and go out before something bad happens.

Sorry for the long post.

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Saturday sure was crazy. It wasn't too bad until we got to Rocker Knocker and as the leader I was 15th in line. The little Jeep group winched up that one, then everyone winched up Axle Hill, then everyone winched up Son of Rockpile.
Plus, none in the group went on to the next one until everyone was up the last one. At some point we should have a little courtesy. Hey, I've had a winch on Chewy myself but when you have a dozen rigs in a row doing it, it gets a little silly.

Also, concerning the fence comments.....that fence has seen multiple revisions and repairs. It didn't originally start that way. However, even if it isn't pretty, right now it is keeping folks from going left into the WSA. There were vehicles (dirt bikes mostly) going way left and into illegal areas.

You wouldn't BELIEVE what folks do. On Saturday, a group of dirt bikes went through an openly posted illegal route because they were tired of waiting and the obstacles on the main trail were too big for them to go down. THAT's when you should turn around and that's the message. Don't create or use illegal routes as a way to finish a trail.

Our club is very sensitive about this trail and working 100's of hours each year to keep it maintained and open. Thanks for using it respectfully!