Pritchett Canyon

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Is getting hammered BAD!! Us locals can only do so much, it seems like every time recently we run the trail it turns into a work-day to fix mostly blatant damage. Somehow, someway we have to get the word out to stay on the trail, or don't try it if you can't make it!!!!!

Here's the report from Sunday's MFFW, work day.

Pritchett Canyon

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We attempted to run it wednesday night (ejs week) but had electrical problems just past chewy and decided to head back. The fence was in great shape and in place that night so it must have happened around the weekend... most likely on Friday when everybody in town seemed to be heading that way.

That's pretty sad, especially because there is a winch anchor at the top too. If you have a problem getting up Chewy, TURN AROUND.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How sad that people think they can tear down & drive over signs and fence and drive anywhere they please. Pritchett is an amazing trail, I'd hate to see an ignorant few ruin it for the rest of the people that stay on the trail.

I feel your pain Dave, during EJS at Potato Salad Hill, Sarah from Solutions of Moab started to build a small extension of the rock wall on the far left (from the bottom) to keep people from driving up a portion of rock that is NOT Potato Salad Hill. Stan and I added to it, carrying the biggest rocks we could pick up. It's blatantly obvious to see that area is not part of the trail and the big pile of rocks guide you within the limits of the obstacle. Yet I traveled out there later in the day and a couple of idiots were driving right over the rock wall we had built and up a 'new' line on PSH. Pissed me right off... :mad2:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you guys have another workday on Pritchett and there's a passenger seat available, I'd be happy to lend a hand. My FJ80 isn't going up there though. :D

Meat_

Banned
The worst I saw over EJS was the new bypass at Axle Hill (up the wash). Jeff had told me about it and on Friday there were a few tracks.... I was there again on Sunday and it looked like a highway. :mad2:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
If you guys have another workday on Pritchett and there's a passenger seat available, I'd be happy to lend a hand. My FJ80 isn't going up there though. :D

I'm in. (but have limited weekends available in May :rolleyes: )

People go up Pritchett for a challenge and realize that they are not up to the challenge or they suck at driving so they create bypasses. :rolleyes:

p$ssies

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not one to cause environmental damage, but I'd like to see some kind of tire rippers along the side of the trail. Uglier than they're worth, but likely fairly effective?

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Morons!!! Both obstacles are easily done with decent driving and spotting. I would hate to see my favorite Moab trail closed down because a bunch of idiots.

Cherokeester

Morons!!! Both obstacles are easily done with decent driving and spotting. I would hate to see my favorite Moab trail closed down because a bunch of idiots.

I agree with the morons part but, I would guess the people doing the damage have never heard of RME nor do they drive a rig that should be up in Pritchet. I have run across many drivers in stock or close to stock rigs out just driving around because they heard that canyon was cool. I would say that decent driving, spotting, capable vehicle and half a brain are really what is missing.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thank you Greenjeep for posting the link to our latest work day, and thank you to all who have offered to help on future repairs. We are hoping to get back up there for another work day within the next 6 weeks or so... right now we are waiting for our rock drill to get repaired. We will post our work date on www.webejeepinmoab.com, so anyone that can make to help out is more than welcome and very much appreciated!

And yes, I was appalled at the latest damage. I believe most of it happened after EJS Big Saturday, except for the Axle Hill bypass which was started sometime before my EJS trip on Monday the 6th. I really hate putting up fences and dozens of "no vehicle" signs, I think they are ugly and take away from the beauty of the area. But at this rate, it wont be long before the entire trail is lined with fences to keep the idiots on the trail.

1995zj

I'm addicted
The worst I saw over EJS was the new bypass at Axle Hill (up the wash). Jeff had told me about it and on Friday there were a few tracks.... I was there again on Sunday and it looked like a highway. :mad2:

I noticed that new bypass when I ran Pritchett over EJS as well.....it's ****ing ridiculous that people can't stay on the damn trail and have to make a bypass. You know those people are going around "bragging" that they ran Pritchett too.....:rolleyes:

Pritchett has to be one of my favorite trails to run, and I'd head to Moab anytime that there is a "clean-up" on it to lend a hand.

Keep us posted for future clean-ups on this trail and others in Moab :)

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thank you Greenjeep for posting the link to our latest work day, and thank you to all who have offered to help on future repairs. We are hoping to get back up there for another work day within the next 6 weeks or so... right now we are waiting for our rock drill to get repaired. We will post our work date on www.webejeepinmoab.com, so anyone that can make to help out is more than welcome and very much appreciated!

And yes, I was appalled at the latest damage. I believe most of it happened after EJS Big Saturday, except for the Axle Hill bypass which was started sometime before my EJS trip on Monday the 6th. I really hate putting up fences and dozens of "no vehicle" signs, I think they are ugly and take away from the beauty of the area. But at this rate, it wont be long before the entire trail is lined with fences to keep the idiots on the trail.

I would love to come out on a day over memorial weekend and help organize a work party and do some repairs. The more people we have the quicker it could go and we could have a great time too.

If that's a realistic time frame let us know!

Meat_

Banned
I noticed that new bypass when I ran Pritchett over EJS as well.....it's ****ing ridiculous that people can't stay on the damn trail and have to make a bypass. You know those people are going around "bragging" that they ran Pritchett too.....:rolleyes:

Pritchett has to be one of my favorite trails to run, and I'd head to Moab anytime that there is a "clean-up" on it to lend a hand.

Keep us posted for future clean-ups on this trail and others in Moab :)

Bart and I passed you just below Axle Hill on Friday but I couldn't get your attention and we were bombing down the trail so I could get to the U4 booth

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
On Sunday, I went up axle hill the correct way but saw the wash as I was coming down. I admit that I took it on the way down. I didn't know. next time we will know.

wish I was closer to come help the repairs.