Pro Comp Tires

smithmonsters

Ok boys pro comp has the x terrain tires buy 3 get 1 free. Are these tires any good? I'm looking to get the 35-12.50 -15. I'm more of a pavement pounder but like the tuffguy off road look, so im only interested in how noisy they are on the road, how long they last, and if they do well on snowy roads. While we are at it are SS thornbirds any good in these aplications (i've heard they suck on rocks and in mud).Need to get something the wife will be safe in on those wet and snowy utah roads. Thanx

Caleb

go wtih a BFG AT or MT...or Goodyear MTR...better bang for the buck...I bet you will be able to buy all 4 (or 5 even) for the price of 3 Pro Comps...if you read this thread you will see mine (and others) opinion on the PRo Comps...to make it short, skip the Pro Comps...

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
X-Terrains have a soft rubber compound. They wouldn't last very long on a street only rig. For your application an AT type tire would be best IMO.

smithmonsters

I am chooseing between goodyear mtr's ,(even though they are on every jeep/4x4 in utah), Bfg Mudders,Xterrains or superswamper thornbirds. Not to be rude but please no one tell me anything about all terrains i dont want them. you couldnt pay me to have them. If i wanted something with all-terrains i would have bought a subaru not a jeep :)

Jeeptj98

smithmonsters said:
I am chooseing between goodyear mtr's ,(even though they are on every jeep/4x4 in utah), Bfg Mudders,Xterrains or superswamper thornbirds. Not to be rude but please no one tell me anything about all terrains i dont want them. you couldnt pay me to have them. If i wanted something with all-terrains i would have bought a subaru not a jeep :)

I have Procomp's MTs and I love them, they are quiet on the highway they get good grip off-road, and with my last set that I had I put about 20,000 miles on them and they still had over 70% tread.

ace

Parts Collector
[/QUOTE]While we are at it are SS thornbirds any good in these aplications (i've heard they suck on rocks and in mud).Need to get something the wife will be safe in on those wet and snowy utah roads
These are absolutely awful for wet and snowy roads. I'ld definitely go another route.

troutbum

cubi-kill
smithmonsters said:
i would have bought a subaru not a jeep :)

There is a difference?? :confused:

If you want the tough guy look run bald boggers, that is what I see all the other tough guy pavement pounders running. ;) The Xterrains would do fine, I personally would run BFG AT's they are a great tire.

Bart

STEP AWAY FROM THE THORNBIRDS. Seriously.

I have a new set of the Pro Comp ATs on my truck and love them. I don't know how long they last but am very happy with the road manners.
Bart

gksspot

MT/Rs are way loud compared to Xterrains... my friends brother has them and we drove next to each other, I couldnt hear my tires, just his. He then got out and said he couldnt hear mine but just the whine from his...
buy 3 get 1 free deal is pretty good but I dont know how long the tires will last... I have had mine only for 7 months and 4k miles.

smithmonsters

Ok the t-birds are out of the question. I dont know why they still make them after so many years if they suck so bad. On the Swamper site they pertray them as a good all terrain tire. Sounds like im getting the X-terrains, i'll give them a shot. Unless anyone has some burly used tires. Thanx for all the info.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
gksspot said:
MT/Rs are way loud compared to Xterrains... my friends brother has them and we drove next to each other, I couldnt hear my tires, just his. He then got out and said he couldnt hear mine but just the whine from his...
buy 3 get 1 free deal is pretty good but I dont know how long the tires will last... I have had mine only for 7 months and 4k miles.

:eek: :eek: :eek: My MT/R's are not much louder than a Wrangler AT/S (all terrain tire on the wife's ZJ). Those X-Terrains must be silent?