Jeep Product review-skyjacker 4 inch lift

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I bought a skyjacker 4inch value flex lift from Alljeep.com (thanks guys). I got it all installed and somewhat dialed in just before heading to Moab. I had it packed with a tent and sleeping bags with a coleman fridge and alot of my tools. When I got to Moab I noticed that my rear was drooping somewhat from when I first put it on. (see first picture) I can order the 3/4 inch puck to fix this but I found some 1 inch ones for $20 and I might put those in to help with the weight of the new winch I won!
My first trail was poison spider and it did great once I got the swaybar disconnects undone. (see second picture) once I got back to the campground I checked it all out and it looked like it held up pretty good.

My second trail was rose garden hill... we never got up to the top due to Maverik and I helped get a busted hummer off the hill... but when I got to most the big steps my transfer case was scraping on everything... the po put a transfer case lowering kit on with the 2 inch budget lift... don't ask me why!
I did have a thump thump near the end that when I got back to the camp I found was the lower control arm joint. The snap ring had popped out allowing the plastic parts to push out and the joint was bouncing back and forth. Easy fix in camp.

Third trail was steel bender and once again I was scrapping on every big rock. and the rear was scrapping as well when I came down off the rocks, I guess I need to learn to drive with a long wheel base vehicle or get a bigger lift!

Forth and final trail was Kanes creek. I had a great time and was able to drive a bit different knowing the limits better... coming out of one of the river beds I fell into the ruts and as I was was coming out my low transfer case skid scraped about 2 inches of the mud (I got to bring it home for my yard!).

Once I got back to Farmington I removed the transfer case lowering kit and adjusted the lower control arms to get the drivelines back in proper angles and it drives nice!
The joints are all needing grease again... and one of the front joints the grease fitting actually broke off so got to fix that.

So some recommendation...
1. swaybar disconnects need to have the pull pins moved 90 degrees around so they are running parallel to the frame to keep it from striking the frame.
2. the zerk fittings need to be placed in a different location to keep them from breaking off...
3. somewhat stiffer rear springs for the LJ seeing it has a big payload area.

More to come when I mount the winch...

Attachments

• 2013-03-31 18.44.02.jpg
    2013-03-31 18.44.02.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-03-31 18.48.20.jpg
    2013-03-31 18.48.20.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2013-03-31 18.44.54.jpg
    2013-03-31 18.44.54.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 15

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If you didn't buy the one inch spacers already I have a pair of 3/4" spacers you can have to level stuff out. They are red.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
They are yours. I will be back in town Sunday. You can grab them from the carport or wait till I get back. Either way.