GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Speaking of Christmas, you up this way? Otherwise I could get a package coming your way :D

:rofl: I haven't forgotten and neither have you! We're not headed that way, I suppose we ought to just ship it. You should have my address, let me know what I owe you Kurt!

I still need to get your a pair of non-ABS FZJ80 knuckles... which are still bolted to the axle, under the buggy. :p

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
:rofl: I haven't forgotten and neither have you! We're not headed that way, I suppose we ought to just ship it. You should have my address, let me know what I owe you Kurt!

I still need to get your a pair of non-ABS FZJ80 knuckles... which are still bolted to the axle, under the buggy. :p

Sorry, just checked back in on your thread. I'll kick it out tomorrow :D Trying to clean up my books for the end of the year anyways :D

Greg

Admin
So just a quick update... I found a scale to weigh the truck, as I was curious. I really wish I would have weighed it before, when it was stock just to have a baseline number to compare it to. Searching the internet, it looks like the truck's curb weight should be 5,100 pounds... so if I've added only 450 pounds with 1 tons and 37's, I think I'm doing pretty good!

I do have the RTT sitting in the bed of the truck (100#'s), a very heavy tool box in the back and I am without a spare at the moment. I'm still missing some parts & components like the front driveshaft (being made right now!), front bumper and winch, etc.

5,540 pounds!

P1010004-L.jpg

P1010006-L.jpg

P1010008-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
I LOVE the look of that truck. I think it'd be cool linked up rather than leaf sprung but understand why you did it. How's the Vortec for power?

It does look very good, gets a lot of attention when driven around. I spent today running around town driving it and really enjoy doing that.

I considered linking the front end up at the very beginning, but the simplicity of leaf springs and the fact that there was a quality, proven solid axle conversion from ORD made it an easy choice. Coils or even coilovers would probably ride better then the leafs do, but that would require much more effort & thought. ;) I wanted something simple and that's what I went with.

The 5.7 Vortec is OK, my engine has a good deal of miles on it and I'm sure it's pretty tired. Around town with the 4.88 gears its peppy... on the freeway at over 75 MPH I feel like I could use more power. A slight uphill grade and the trans will drop out of OD and the engine will really spin up. I wish I had more power to keep the engine in OD on the hills... still unsure about what to do there. The gas mileage is pretty pathetic, but at least it has some power.

I'm still playing with the idea of a smaller diesel engine, like a Cummins 4BT or an Isuzu 4BD1T. It would take a LOT of work and money, but in the end I should be able to get 450 ft/lbs of torque and mileage in the mid to low 20's, even on 37's. Part of the problem is needing to re-gear again, plus swapping a stronger transmission. I want to stay auto, so that means I'd probably end up running a 4L80E, which has it's own issues.

Greg

Admin
Get that front driveline in and get it out on the trail! I want some trail pics :D

Me too! It's in the works, but there is more to it than just bolting up that front driveline.... my exhaust pipe on the drivers side is right in the way, since I have to change it I want to redo the entire exhaust system. I have ordered all the pieces I need to do it, but I'm still waiting on a few small items. Hopefully this weekend I can cut the exhaust off and start working on the new exhaust, then pickup my front drive shaft next week.... and take it out for a test!

RockChucker

That thing turned out so nice! I hear you on exhaust and driveshaft clearances. My pinion yoke just barely touches at full bump. I don't know what kind of room there is under your truck, but muscling a 5.3 and 60's under a TJ while keeping it low is no small task. Not that you would know anything about that though :greg:

Greg

Admin
That thing turned out so nice! I hear you on exhaust and driveshaft clearances. My pinion yoke just barely touches at full bump. I don't know what kind of room there is under your truck, but muscling a 5.3 and 60's under a TJ while keeping it low is no small task. Not that you would know anything about that though :greg:

Thanks Dave! The exhaust & driveshaft aren't that bad, not nearly as bad as a Gen III V8 in a TJ, that's for sure!! Just have to do something different.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This thread makes me want to throw bigger tires under my tow rig. If only it would fit in the parking garage at work. :( Hope to see more updates on this soon!

Greg

Admin
This thread makes me want to throw bigger tires under my tow rig. If only it would fit in the parking garage at work. :( Hope to see more updates on this soon!

:cool:

Speaking of bigger tires, these MTR's are BIG! Driving around town, I'm surprised how 'low' this truck actually feels compared to other 4x4's, even stock ones... especially considering it's sitting on 37's!

More updates on the way soon!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Love it! Should be a great all around truck!

Very surprised at how light it ended up. Awesome. :)

Greg

Admin
So as mentioned before, I've wanted to run all new exhaust. The original downpipe on the drivers side was right in the way of where the new driveshaft needed to go, since the IFS was tucked up a bit higher. I had an estimate to have a local exhaust shop do the work, with me supplying the catalytic convertor and muffler the quote was $450!! For that price, I decided I would take care of it myself and could get into the parts for less than 1/2 that price.

Here's what I picked up, plus some V-band clamps & O2 sensor bungs. -

2 of these, 2" tubing to go from the exhaust manifolds to the Y-pipe - http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Combo-Exhaust-Bend-2-Inch,11308.html
91013874_L.jpg

Y-Pipe - http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/MagnaFlow/MF10778.html
images

And a universal Flowmaster 3" exhaust pipe - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-15902?seid=google
FLO-15902.jpg

I had previously ordered a 3" high-flow Catalytic Convertor from Summit Racing, plus a 3" Aero Turbine that I've had kicking around the garage for some time.

And the parts in hand...

P1010004%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D-L.jpg

P1010002%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D-L.jpg

The old exhaust was a aftermarket dual exhaust system with Flowmasters, but it didn't sound too good. Out came the sawzall and removed the old exhaust in pieces. Interesting enough, the Flowmasters had started to rust thru and were leaking! I started fitting up the 2" pipes from the manifolds, connected them to the Y-pipe and tacked everything up. It's not perfect, but IMO it's plenty good.

I'm still missing my V-Band clamps and I need about 3' more of 3" tubing, so it's over half way done. I'm planning on adding 2 V-band clamps, one between the Y-pipe and the Cat and one between the muffler and the back part of the tailpipe, making the exhaust easily removable in 3 pieces. Here's where it's currently sitting, until I get the rest of the parts.

P1010006%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D-L.jpg

P1010007%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D-L.jpg

P1010008%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D-L.jpg