Project Growth Spurt: building a KX100 for a small adult

sixstringsteve

2 weeks ago I was able to take it for a spin and see how she did with the new mods. I'm really impressed with the flywheel weight. The main difference was how tough it was to stall.

[youtube]0_geyR0qFUk[/youtube]

So far I am REALLY liking this bike. Power is perfect, though I'd love to gear it a little lower for the steep, technical stuff. The wheels are so small that even the baseball sized rocks feel like I'm hitting bowling balls. I can't wait to have big wheels on this thing.

If I can stay on the pipe and not accidentally shift into neutral going up a hill, I do really well. Once I lose my momentum, I'm done. By "hill" I mean 45* straight up, rocky trail. The wheelbase is so short that it likes to wheelie out when I try to start from a stop halfway up a hill. The cockpit is also so short that standing up seems scary. I feel like I'm going to go over the bars. Once I stretch it about 4" it'll feel just right.

The IMS tank is worth its weight in gold, along with the radiator brace and the skidplate. I'm really impressed with this little bike, it's a blast to ride, super lightweight, and easy to pick up when you do dump it. After about 4 or 5 hours of riding, I had only used about 1/5th a tank.

sixstringsteve

I picked up this little gem last week for $100. Many thanks to Don B and Kirk for helping me get it here. It's a '97 KLR 650 minus the motor I'll definitely be using the rear swingarm, wheel, rear brake & cable, front wheel, front brake cable, throttle cable, and possibly the front forks and part of the front frame near the head-tube.

2012-06-01_12-49-41_376.jpg

sixstringsteve