Project- more power!

pkrfctr

I know what you are expecting here but I approached getting more power from a different angle.
I figure its all about weight vs. power, so I approached it from the weight side of things.
heres how I approached it....

How I lost 100 pounds in 2013, without ever wearing spandex
I know it’s hard to believe, but yes I did lose a 100 pounds without wearing spandex. I should get an anti-spandex award.
I have said for years I would lose some weight and never got around to it. Then in March I received my ‘trigger’. I believe everyone must have some kind of ‘trigger’ to spark the will to change. When I received mine I decided it was time to make the changes I knew I needed to make.
Unfortunately there are no secrets or short cuts, it takes hard work. I had to work for every single pound I lost. I didn’t do some weird diet and I certainly didn’t pay for a diet or shots, or new pill or latest fade…. I simple worked. I call it the math diet; less in and more out equals weight loss. My main method was portion control and exercise. I started the first month by halving my portion size. Yes, I was hungry for a week or two but that went away quickly, A few months later I halved it again. I tried cutting and closely watching different aspects of my diet. First I dropped carbs to 60 a day, then I experimented with watching and cutting different aspects of my diet – carbs, calories, proteins, fat, etc.… I didn’t notice any big differences between the various things I watched. I think it all came down to portion control and exercise. Although experimenting with my diet really paid off later in the year when I was diagnosed with Meniere’s disease and put on a 1500 mg of sodium a day diet. Had I not experimented with cutting different things from my diet I would never had been able to follow my current Meniere’s diet. I know I was prepared for this throughout the year. The low sodium diet has been by far the most difficult to follow but after a year of playing with different aspects of nutrition I have been able to follow it. I met with a dietitian early on who told me “you can out eat any exercise program, start with your diet”.
For exercise I bought a bike and a pair of hiking boots. I started by walking around the block. Quickly after that I was doing a few miles, then longer steeper hikes. I kept an accurate record of every hike/ride I did and would watch my improvements. One of the first hikes I did was the diamond fork hot springs with the scouts, it about killed me. The scouts all finished the hike a long time before me and eventually sent another leader down to make sure I was ok. I did finish the hike but it took hours to get to the top (2.5 miles and 1000 ft elevation gain) with numerous stops. The last time I hiked it, it took 45 minutes to get to the top without stopping once, round trip total time was 1 hour and 26 min. For bike rides I started by riding up lake fork. The first ride was depressing, I only did 2.8 miles and it took forever. The last time I rode it was 5.3 miles in 32 minutes. By recording everything I was able to get excited and stay motivated as I saw my times and distances improve each time. Last example; we took the scouts to hike angles landing in May, I didn’t make the top. I returned in July with Katie and together we completed the round trip hike of 5.5 miles in 1 hour and 45 minutes, which was exciting to see. The point- It wasn’t easy but in a short amount of time my endurance greatly improved.
Monthly break down
March – 6 lbs lost
April – 11 lbs lost; 17 total
May – 21 lbs lost; 38 total
June – 12 lbs lost; 50 total
July – 10 lbs lost; 60 total
August – 12 lbs lost; 72 total
September – 9 lbs lost; 81 total
October – 6 lbs lost; 87 total
November – 4 lbs lost; 91 total
December – (first week of January too, Christmas messed me up) 9 lbs lost; 100 total
Costs;
Bike
Boots
Backpack
New clothes – way too much, everything has to be replaced- coats, pants, shoes, shirts, everything…
Food- healthy food is more expensive
Benefits;
100 lbs less weight
Lowest blood pressure ever
Increased energy
Happier
Better quality time with my kids doing healthy activities
More Kama sutra positions 

ricsrx

fantastic!
Thank you for sharing, maybe writing it all down in a post will help you to stay focused and motivated. good Job!

comingdown

attaboy!!! i dropped 100 lbs a few years back while on my mission doing what you did, biking, and eating almost no fast food ever, and watching portion size. I then took up running, and started doing very well. Got married, and my old lazy habits happened, as well as some personal drama, but i put on every pound i lost. now on my way back, it is extremely depressing at first, but it took time before, and i know it will take time again. brushed the dust off the old bike and threw on my running clothes, which unfortunately are not made of spandex. i have a scale coming in the mail to track my progress, but i already feel much better about myself. this is great inspiration for me.

my breaking point was doing a physical and meeting with someone, who laid out my body in front of me and where i was headed. I knew it was time to change. from that moment, i have been changing my diet, and trying to be more active. i don't want to do too much too quickly, or burn myself out. I barely ran am mile in, and before I would run 7 miles in under an hour, and 4 miles in 30 minutes. hopefully i can get back to where i know i want to be. This really helps me out. If only for the extra kama sutra benefits. :D

jallen9

nice! a few years ago, my 30th b day inspired me to get in shape. i did it, but i slacked off since and now I'm trying to do it again. seeing other people do it helps.

pkrfctr

If only for the extra kama sutra benefits. :D[/QUOTE]
Got to have rewards right?

I had planned on taking longer but it came off quicker than expected, except the last ten pounds-those sucked

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Very cool! Congrats! You're not kidding about the healthy food thing. Our budget for food has drastically changed in the last couple years... oof. But it's cheaper than dr. bills! :D

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
there is an app called runkeeper that will keep track of time, distance, calories, route and allows you to say where it was a hike or run or just a walk... and then when you are done it will post to your facebook account for all to see.. I use it when I take the pug for walks...

there is another app called Noom walk that measures your footsteps... its not that accurate due to I noticed it advancing while I was driving... but still its fun to look at and see how many steps you have taken...

congrats on the follow thru and keep up the great work!!!
John

P.S. love the LJ

pkrfctr

Still working on a before pic, kind of avoided cameras. Heres a current pic in a shirt that used to be too small. Lost 2" off my neck, not sure on waist.

Attachments

• 20140119_123530.jpg
    20140119_123530.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140119_123148.jpg
    20140119_123148.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20140119_123630.jpg
    20140119_123630.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 30

comingdown

looking good. I been thinking about this thread as i drag my sorry butt outside to walk my dog (who needs to loose a few lbs) and get myself off the couch moving. it is very inspiring.

rholbrook

I have assigned myself to a 1300/caleries a day. So far I am averaging 1500. I am trying to get down there but its more of an education part for me. I need to know the foods I should be eating but I am getting there.