PSC Power Steering Pump

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I have a brand new PSC SP1405 power steering box. It would work on Jeeps, Dodges, and Chevy's.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=138_173_179&products_id=518

This is a high output pump and would best be used in combination with a remote reservoir and power steering cooler. Here are a couple of write-ups of people who installed these in their rigs:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/showcase/psc.php

http://www.nakedjeep.com/Projects/PSC/PSCpump01.html

And pics of what I have:

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Last edited:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I've got to do some more research, but I very well may be interested in this pump

p.s.

It needs to mount up to a 5.3L vortec with serpintine belt

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I've got to do some more research, but I very well may be interested in this pump

p.s.

It needs to mount up to a 5.3L vortec with serpintine belt

Do it! This is the P-Series I was talking to you about earlier... This is also the better version of it; with the wider rotor/vanes. This will have a fairly high pressure, but even more flow for your full hydro. This should fix your poor steering at low RPM's...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
what are the chances that this will bolt right up to existing mount and pully?

I THINK if you already have a P-Series pump, this will use the same bracket and pulley. I THINK the only difference is this requires the external reservoir instead of the submerged style. I can't remember the vehicles that this pump came stock on, but on those it was a submerged style pump.

The only downside to the P-Series is they can not handle heat. The vane and rotor setup will melt/break down if the oil is gets too far above 120*. Hence the need for external reservoir and a really good cooler. But as far as your full hydro setup, I couldn't recommend this pump more, IMO.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll bet that pump could be taken out of its housing and mounted in the reservoir-housing, also. It looks like the same pump that's inside the "ham can" reservoir, just in a tighter-fitting, remote-reservoir-needing can.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'll bet that pump could be taken out of its housing and mounted in the reservoir-housing, also. It looks like the same pump that's inside the "ham can" reservoir, just in a tighter-fitting, remote-reservoir-needing can.

Absolutely! The only special thing about this pump is that it has the wider vane and rotor setup that is difficult to find in the wrecking yards.

...But I don't think I would do it, though.. It really needs the external reservoir to keep it cool. But I guess if you had a really good cooler....

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Timp, hopefully this helps.

Here's a pic of my setup.
I have a 6.0 vortec. I had a p-series pump from the factory.
I ordered the smaller reservoir can from PSC, along with the smaller diameter pulley. The smaller can adds a -10 feed line (for external reservoir) and a high flow -6 pressure fitting.

Essentially, the pumps are the same, the reservoir cans are interchangable. It should also fit your factory bracket just fine.

Floppy, if Timp doesn't take it, shoot me a PM. I'd be interested as well.

Thanks
Nate

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 7

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
5.3L GMC vortec about 2003

It appears the pulley is pressed on the pump shaft (with no other means of holding it on).

does this sound right?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
5.3L GMC vortec about 2003

It appears the pulley is pressed on the pump shaft (with no other means of holding it on).

does this sound right?

Correct.. It should be pressed on and it does take a tool to take off and put on. At least it looks like the same one I have...:ugh:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
thanks for the verify ... It took me a minute to figure out as the mud from the king challenge had filled the threads full and turned to cement.

So a bolt with good sized washer should not be used to push it on? Or just use the regular puller in reverse to push it on?

Looks like its gonna be abit of a pita to get changed. Looks like pulling out the entire mounting bracket (alternate mount as well as ps) is best bet, doing the actual swap on the bench.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
... I think they also want you to replace the pulley and not re press the removed pulley.

The bolt and washer trick should work, as you wan the face of th epulley square with the end of the shaft. But I'm not 100% sure....

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Timp,

I have the correct tools to remove / reinstall the pulley.
I've done it several times, no problems.
Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Don't try to use a standard 3 jaw type puller or you'll have to buy a new pulley.