Quick Moab ? in regards to weather

We are planning a "possible" wheelin trip to Moab, UT in August.

Acutally the trip is planned for Colorado but since an assload of people have backed out on us, we are considering going to Moab instead. We would both much rather go to Moab but we are wondering what the weather will be like around the August 6th - Aug. 13th time frame.

I just assumed that it would be hotter than hell out there at that time of year.

Also, last question( in this post anyway), What is the closest camping place near the trails. We are looking for a campground type-o-deal (like KOA or an RV place that allows tents too.

Thanks

Aaron

James K

NO, I'm always like this
hot, damn hot. little men in orange robes burst into flames. surface of the sun hot.

ok, maybe not that bad but hot. :D

as far as camping, there are so many trails that its hard to say. what are you manily interested in, trail wise?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
James K said:
hot, damn hot. little men in orange robes burst into flames. surface of the sun hot.

ok, maybe not that bad but hot. :D

as far as camping, there are so many trails that its hard to say. what are you manily interested in, trail wise?

It's kinda warm. Plan on drinking 6-8 32 oz. Gatorades/powerade/etc. per day. You'll still have a dehydration headache in the evening.

Moab is sweet. Trails are easily accessible from about anywhere in town.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
FatAzzRunner said:
We are planning a "possible" wheelin trip to Moab, UT in August.

just assumed that it would be hotter than hell out there at that time of year.

Also, last question( in this post anyway), What is the closest camping place near the trails. We are looking for a campground type-o-deal (like KOA or an RV place that allows tents too.

Thanks

Aaron

According to the weather places the average temp in July is 101*, and in August it is 98*. Which is hot, and when you combine that with trail riding through the desert where there is very little trees or other coverage it seems to make it feel worse because it is difficult to get away from the heat.

When you are in Moab you are always camping "near the trails" :D So much of it is so close that it really will not matter. But here is the place that I have stayed the most often www.canyonlandsrv.com They have lots of RV sites, pop up tent sites, tent sites, and little cabins with AC that you can stay in too.

If you go to Moab those times you will have fun, just plan for the heat and go out prepared for the heat.

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Well, in August you won't need starter fluid for your BBQ. The brickettes will self ignite when you take them out of the bag. Expect 105* - 110* but with relief when the sun goes down. Take LOTS of WATER!!! Slickrock trails will be hotter. Try various canyon trails (Kane Creek, Steel Bender has some water, Onion Creek). And did I mention to take LOTS of WATER?? As for campgrounds, Canyonlands Campground (in town) has a great place, but may be a little more $ but well worth it. Lots of shade trees, pool, nice tent camping area at the creek. Local # is 435-259-6848 but if you check the web, they may have an 800 # and more info.

Houndoc

Good to have you wander on over from Kansas.

I don't know if you have spent much time in the area at all, but like has been said it will be very hot, very little shade and the rocks really catch the heat. Heat stroke and dehydration are realy dangers if you are not well prepared. Make sure you carry lots of extra water. A breakdown on the trail could be fatal if poorly prepared (most things say a minimum of 1 gal of water per person per day). Plan on what could go wrong, not just what you hope will happen.

That said, come out and enjoy. In Canyonlands a couple weeks ago we hit 102 by noon (at the Needles Visitor Center) and 109 later in the day at the base of Elephant Hill. Had a great day anyway (short hikes with the kids).

Hit the trails early in the morning and/or late afternoon. If you get too hot, the La Sal or Abajo Mountains are great places to cool off. It never gets too hot at 12,000 feet!

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Another thing to consider is August is monsoon season. That means thunderstorms are common, and therefore the humidity is high. It also means the possibility of a flash flood is greatly increased. You should really watch the weather satellite photos just before coming here to have an idea of what to expect.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
as a local i would never even consider going to moab in july or august. but thats because i can go to moab any on any 3day weekend the rest of the year without any trouble.

since you are so far away, you should go whenever you can. just come prepared, water, gatoraid etc... early morning runs, kick back at the campground in the shade in the pool, and then hit the trail again in the later afternoon. long days make late afternoon trips a good option, but stay close to town and dont try afterdark wheeling whithout someone who knows where they are going. its easy to get lost in the daylight even easier in the dark.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I turn brown in the summer, and do not burn.... and I got my first sunburn EVER in Moab... on the slickrock trail in MAY. Deathrays from the sun bounced up off the rock and fried under my chin, arms, burned my kneecaps... etc. Very painful and shocking, I thought I was burnproof.

Bring big-brimmed hats (sombreros NO-- not that big. Unless that's your thing, I'm easy.) Bring lots and lots of water, and a way to keep it cool. Sunscreen is good. Water! WATER! Bring AC if you can. It's seriously flippin' hot.

I'll second the flash flood warning: rock doesn't suck up much rainwater, be careful and believe the warnings. I watched a flash flood from the top of a hill once, pretty scary thinking about being in it. Big wall of water moving fast.

Bart

It's hot like everyone says, but go prepared and have a ball. I've been there in July and August and it's better than not being there. :D

If you can go on a full moon night that opens up night wheeling which is great, but you need a trail guide that knows the trails. Seriously, some of my favorite runs in Moab are after midnight.

redrock_4x4

We went down to Moab this last weekend for a quick run and it was hot, but still a great time. Once you got out on top of some of the ridges it really cooled off, especially in the breeze. We ran Moab Rim and Rusty Nail, and it was very pleasant on top of the trails. We finished Rusty Nail well after dark and it was really nice out there in the dark.

I did go a few years ago July 7 - 11 and it was MUCH hotter. I was really surprised this last weekend how nice it was, I was expecting worse.

For comparison, I would say it was a bit warmer last weekend on average than I've seen towards the end of August / early September.

For what it's worth, the mirror in my truck was reading 100 - 105 around town this last weekend. Mid to late August it's usually a bit below 100, and mid July when I went a couple years back it was 110-115+. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's all I have to go off of.

TimB

Homesick
What dates you headed west? I'll be in Colorado in August - mostly family scenery stuff, but maybe a couple of good trails a day or two. If you want to meet up a day or two PM me on OAG and lets trade cell numbers. Moab is way hot in July-August. Most who live there head to the mountains that time of year.

Ah, just re-read your first post. I'll be out west the same week.

Last edited:

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Hey Tim... We'll be in Oury July 25- 30 with a small group from town. I guess we'll be heading back just when you're coming in. Too bad. Look for a PM...

TimB

Homesick
Thanks for the PM Marty. By the way - I've wheeled with Fatassrunner and he's good people. He likes the hard core stuff and has a rig capable of doing it. Just so you know he's not some redneck from Kansas in a farm truck ;)

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Not sure if I've put an eyeball on Fatassrunner. Probably have but can't put a face with the name. Capt. Picky did mention some of the wheeling with him did get his attention.