Railroad rail

R

rockdog

Anybody know where I could get 10' of small railroad rail? We got an old mine cart for the front yard and I need two pieces of rail about 5' long to do what I want to do.:D

boogie_4wheel

You better ask for 2 5' pieces then... A few years back I came across a stick of it and we grabbed it with a rollback tow truck. It took a good amount of time with a torch to cut ~10' chunk, and was a pain to handle that amount. I wouldn't even attempt with a cutting wheel.

Use it as a weight for dragging an area on a tractor attachment.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
If you do find some of the smaller mine-size stuff I'd love to pick up some (maybe a couple 10 footers?) as well. I'd love a cart as well.:p

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Haha Greg might be able to get you some. Not sure if that's considered stealing from work or not though.

We run trains on the rail I work with... putting a mining cart on it would be like a Miata sitting on 54" tires. :cody: Besides, 10 feet of that stuff would weigh around 500#'s!

And no, I can't get anyone rail... :p

R

rockdog

If it's just for display just set it on some square tube, nobody will notice the difference.

It is gonna be on a big rock dumping into our dry riverbed. It wont look real with square tubing. I thought about i beam, but it would have to be tiny. Also thought about going over the fence at Hogle Zoo at night and ripping up a nice piece. But I'm an old man and wouldn't fair well in a cell with bubba.:eek::ugh:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I had a 40' piece of mining rail that we hauled out of 21 Road... gave it to a local friend on here. Not that rail in Colorado would do you any good. :D

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
There are a lot of old abandoned mines along the wasatch front. I've seen small gauge rail quite a bit at these old mine sites. Just a thought

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There are a lot of old abandoned mines along the wasatch front. I've seen small gauge rail quite a bit at these old mine sites. Just a thought

Many of these mines are private property, those that are not private are likely old enough to be protected by the Antiquities Act. Please don't steal them unless you have permission or a claim on the mine. Small gauge rail does pop up on KSL and the likes from time to time. And if you score some rail I have some legit mine rail spikes I purchased for my mine cart setup. You're welcome to a handful or more... I had to buy 50# and only needed like 20 :D

Any history on your mine cart? Stamped or plaqued at all?

My track/rail. Ties are cut by a legit sawmill whom still makes ties for mine operations including Kennecott, where my cart came from (underground workings they scrapped years ago)

20141104_170909 (Small).jpg

20141118_091829 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Those scale railroad guys get their rail from somewhere. I bet they have forums where you can buy some. There are a few guys here in Utah.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A&K Railroad Materials. Redwood rd south of California on the east side of the road. I was in there a few weeks ago getting splice plates for 60# rail. I saw a lot of the bigger stuff, but didn't notice anything small. Doesn't mean they wont have it though.

R

rockdog

Nothing stamped on the cart. Where did you get your rail Kurt?

R

rockdog

No idea where it came from Kurt. My brother in law found six of them for sale a few years ago in a guys front yard. By the time he got back with the cash, there were only two left. He bought both of em. The rail you linked to would work great. Only problem would be shipping from West Virginia! :eek: