RANT: Does anyone else hate 90% of ATV's and Dirt Bikes on the trails?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I don't mind UTVs or Side-by-Sides, they seem to have some sort of manners.

Everytime I go out wheeling there are a million of them, they drive fast and tear the crap out of the trails. They won't move out of the way if you are coming up a hill, most of them seem to think they always have the right of way. When they pass, they gun it and then throw rocks and dirt all over your vehicle. They carry their little kids on the back without helmets. They always cut corners and almost die hitting my front bumper.

Saturday I went up Farmington Canyon. There were dudes with little kids on the back of their 4 wheelers wearing bike helmets that were flopping around. Some moron hauling an enclosed dual axle trailer tried to make me back down the road because he couldn't figure out how to steer it to the other side of the road. Then told me if he ripped my mirror off, it would be my fault.

There are idiots out there who drive their Jeeps, Toyota whatever's like idiots too. But I rarely run into those guys.

Sorry, they just annoy the hell out of me.

D

Deleted member 12904

Without even reading no I don't not hate even 10% of ATV or dirt Bike riders on the trails. I find most of them to be happy and enjoying life just like me.

D

Deleted member 12904

Everytime I go out wheeling there are a million of them, they drive fast and tear the crap out of the trails. They won't move out of the way if you are coming up a hill, most of them seem to think they always have the right of way. When they pass, they gun it and then throw rocks and dirt all over your vehicle. They carry their little kids on the back without helmets. They always cut corners and almost die hitting my front bumper.

Saturday I went up Farmington Canyon. There were dudes with little kids on the back of their 4 wheelers wearing bike helmets that were flopping around. Some moron hauling an enclosed dual axle trailer tried to make me back down the road because he couldn't figure out how to steer it to the other side of the road. Then told me if he ripped my mirror off, it would be my fault.

There are idiots out there who drive their Jeeps, Toyota whatever's like idiots too. But I rarely run into those guys.

Ok now that Ive read it I have the same advise to share with you that I do to my Mother in law that's been divorced 3 times. Maybe its you that's the problem if you consistently are having issues. Hard to believe 90% of the trail users are jerks for no reason.

Cascadia

Undecided
I agree with Deviant. I ride at least twice a week and can honestly say I've never come upon or seen any of the situations you're explaining.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I ride my bike lots and lots and most of the time respect earns respect.
Disrespect is usually greeted with the like.
Additionally I have spent lots of time up Farmington Canyon and I cannot say I've ever experience an issue (other than the single person texting while at a full stop in the middle of a dirt road, and at least he was being safe ;) )

A personal motto of mine is that, "If you're looking to be offended, that's one thing you'll always find."

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Not 90% but I'd say 10% sounds about right. I've seen a lot of ohv'ers misrepresent our "kind" and do things that are very disrespectful the trails and to others for no reason. Some people are just tools and some of them happen to ride.
That being said I've had plenty of bad experiences with people in "real" vehicles as well. It's just something we deal with.
Oh well, right?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

I find that the further away from populated areas I drive the nicer and smarter people get, sometimes the folks who are too lazy to make the drive up to say the Mirror Lake areas to ride are a bit more careless or unfamiliar with trail etiquette and safety, but I would say that it's 15-20% who do this. When I pull our off road trailer in places up there I have even had oncoming ATV folks back up or move to let me pass even though they had the right of way sometimes, we typically end up talking to them as we pass to talk about the area and how the fishing or hunting was.

RogueJeepr

Here!

Sawtooth , I hear ya. # 1 reason I quit going to AF canyon or any place with a crowd. I have a ATV and dont like riding it anymore. Too many idiots going in all directions just waiting to collide.

Yes Jeepin montero is right . The father out ya go the better it gets.

Last edited:

ricsrx

Sawtooth , I hear ya. # 1 reason I quit going to AF canyon or any place with a crowd. I have a ATV and dont like riding it anymore. Too many idiots going in all directions just waiting to collide.

Yes Jeepin montero is right . The father out ya go the better it gets.

sawtooth x2, your right but I think a smaller %, being from a small town and the vehicles are legal on the road... its only a matter of time before some one gets killed, they drive crazy, just yesterday a street legal side by was running around Riverton because they could, burring around getting every ones attention(look at me, im in a side by and driving on the streets).... it looked very unsafe.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
IMO most 'real' dirt bikers you see on the 4x4 roads are just getting to/from the real trail (singletrack) and because they are faster and more maneuverable, they will pass you when you may not like it... because they are back there choking on your dust and that SUCKS. I've done it hundreds of times and most people in 4x4's are friendly, will try make room to pass, slow down a little and if I can take a hand off the bars I will wave... or try to nod my head, to say thanks.

I try not to be stupid, won't pass when it's dangerous and will not spray rocks on others... I think most dirt bikers think they're being respectful, but people in slow moving 4x4's may see it as aggressive, when it's not. Dirt bikes coming at you can also be scary and I understand as I've been on both sides. Again, dirt bikes are more maneuverable and stop quicker and they know it... some guys seem to think open roads are a call to haul ass and that's just stupid, but I've done it... because I can. :D

I will say that usually 10% of most any group are bad apples and the ones that are dirt bikers really stand out. Usually if you make it obvious to be friendly to a guy on a dirtbike, he will appreciate it and respond the same way. And if you are a dick or don't understand that you're holding him up, causing him to eat your dust, etc, etc.... he'll respond by passing you as soon as he can, fast as he can, kicking up rocks on the way by. You reap what you sow.

DAA

Supporting Member
... its only a matter of time before some one gets killed, they drive crazy...

They always cut corners and almost die hitting my front bumper.

I came across a guy with his head laying in a large pool of his own blood that had been dead for a few minutes up above the B once. He was riding an ATV, came around a corner and collided head on with a Blazer. It had happened only like five minutes earlier, nobody else had come by yet. The guys in the Blazer said they had already called the cops. So I just rolled on... Don't like seeing dead people like that...

- DAA

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I came across a guy with his head laying in a large pool of his own blood that had been dead for a few minutes up above the B once. He was riding an ATV, came around a corner and collided head on with a Blazer. It had happened only like five minutes earlier, nobody else had come by yet. The guys in the Blazer said they had already called the cops. So I just rolled on... Don't like seeing dead people like that...

- DAA

I REALLY would like to read the autobiography of Dave.. Would you please write it?