Ford Raptor Thoughts

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have been on the fence for a little while on what to go with for my next vehicle. I love my JKU Rubicon off road, but the limited space while hauling my family of 5 with our camping gear, and lack of umph from the 3.8l on the freeway have been weighing on me. I started looking around and finally drove a Raptor. I love almost everything about it (other than the price and Fuel Economy...), and I am seriously considering picking one up.

Are there other Raptor owners on here that wheel them? What advice do you have? Thoughts? Regrets? Limitations? I know they were designed for Baja style desert racing, which isn't what we have around here, but other than the width, they seem to be ready to do 80% of the wheeling I have been doing anyway.

They are wide, and I will have to be more cautious about where to take it (Elephant Hill, tight mountain trails, extreme rock crawling...) until I pick up another, less modified, more teenager friendly, Jeep next year (my oldest will be driving next year, scary!).

My thoughts on the Raptor vs. any other truck:
1. From the factory, they are pretty capable and stout, and can handle some abuse without breaking constantly.
2. It is still a full size truck, which is more useful to me right now than the Jeep, and other smaller payload vehicles (towing included).
3. As silly as it sounds, they aren't what every other Joe is driving. I like to be a little unique (even though I drive a JKU Rubicon now, mine is unique enough...:)) I can't see myself driving a RHD LC, but this is different enough for me. Different strokes for different folks, I get that not everyone cares (or will admit that they care) about this.

Anything else I should consider from those that have, or almost, purchased a Raptor?

Thanks for any helpful feedback!

rholbrook

I have a 2012 F150 SuperCrew Lariat with 3.5 Ltr EcoBoost. Charcoal Gray (Magnetic Gray) with Black Leather and bench seat in front. It has a leveling kit and factory rear electric locker. It pretty much has all the goodies except sunroof. I am just waiting for my new one. There is a black Raptor running around Kaysville that is all blacked out. Good looking truck. Come drive it, I'm just up the road from you.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Couple thoughts for ya -

1) They're big. I thought I could wheel a full size, that it would fit where I go, I was wrong. You don't realize how big they are just sitting in them, you have to get it up a canyon to really feel it. And the Raptor is wider than my truck.

2) They're spendy. If you specifically want a Raptor, well and good, but I bet if you bought an FX4 of the same year and put the difference into mods you'd come out with more truck.

DAA

Not really anything new for you, mostly repeating your own thoughts, but I thought I was going to buy a new Raptor for awhile and will share the reasons I changed my mind and did not get one.

I know it's been said multiple times already, but the Raptor is WIDE. As wide, mirror to mirror, as an H1 Hummer. I decided that for my purposes, it really is too wide. I scrape the chit out of the sides of my truck enough as it is, but I'd be uprooting mature sage brush and massaging juniper trunks big time with a Raptor. It has a bigger turn radius than other half tons, too.

This was two years ago and the bed was too small for me. Not sure if you can get a real bed on the Raptor now or not. But the tiny bed just renders the truck almost a eunuch, for my purposes. This was really the deal killer, I might have lived with everything else, but not the useless little bed.

It rides rough, empty at low speed. This surprised me, as it has the go-fast long travel desert suspension. Which, must be great at soaking up big hits, but it was the harshest riding half ton I tested - by far. Rode kind of like a covered wagon at low speed on bumpy stuff. For an awful lot of the dirt two track I travel, this would not have been appreciated.

So, end of the day, for my purposes, totally ignoring price and MPG, the Raptor just wasn't a good match for me.

You're purposes may be different and it might be the perfect rig for you though!

- DAA

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've also heard that 6.2l is really thirsty and would be an issue for any extended trips.
On the Ghost Town Tour we filled up at the end and my Supercrew Ecoboost with the 36 gal tank only took 20 gal to top off.
Even after towing someone for 40-50 miles.
With a full tank on dirt or back roads I have an almost 600 mile range.
What surprised me on another trip was how well the ecoboost wheels. Tons of low end torque lets you ease up obstacles at very low rpm.
It's also a towing monster and a pleasure to drive in the mountains when empty (stays in 6th @1500 rpm when going over Soldier Summit).
Go look at Russ' truck, I'm sure it will be big enough.

-Eric

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a 2012 F150 SuperCrew Lariat with 3.5 Ltr EcoBoost. Charcoal Gray (Magnetic Gray) with Black Leather and bench seat in front. It has a leveling kit and factory rear electric locker. It pretty much has all the goodies except sunroof. I am just waiting for my new one. There is a black Raptor running around Kaysville that is all blacked out. Good looking truck. Come drive it, I'm just up the road from you.

Thanks! Your old neighbors (with the hard to pronounce last name) just moved in right next door to me. Good folks, and they speak highly of you!

Do you still love your ecoboost? How many miles do you have on it now? Any issues?

I may take you up on the offer of driving your truck. I had an 09 F150 Platinum several years ago, and loved it! That is one vehicle I m

Couple thoughts for ya -
1) They're big. I thought I could wheel a full size, that it would fit where I go, I was wrong. You don't realize how big they are just sitting in them, you have to get it up a canyon to really feel it. And the Raptor is wider than my truck.
2) They're spendy. If you specifically want a Raptor, well and good, but I bet if you bought an FX4 of the same year and put the difference into mods you'd come out with more truck.

Thanks for the input! I haven't wheeled a full size truck for over 15 years, and I am sure it will take some getting used to. That is a hesitation to me, but I don't plan to rock crawl, just hit mild trails i am comfortable taking it on until I get a more mild Jeep next year. I value your input as I have seen you take your F150 into the Swell, White Rim, and other areas...

I have also thought of getting the FX4 at 15k less and putting a leveling kit on it. Narrower, EcoBoost, and same creature comforts. I love the AC seats!

Not really anything new for you, mostly repeating your own thoughts, but I thought I was going to buy a new Raptor for awhile and will share the reasons I changed my mind and did not get one.

I know it's been said multiple times already, but the Raptor is WIDE. As wide, mirror to mirror, as an H1 Hummer. I decided that for my purposes, it really is too wide. I scrape the chit out of the sides of my truck enough as it is, but I'd be uprooting mature sage brush and massaging juniper trunks big time with a Raptor. It has a bigger turn radius than other half tons, too.

This was two years ago and the bed was too small for me. Not sure if you can get a real bed on the Raptor now or not. But the tiny bed just renders the truck almost a eunuch, for my purposes. This was really the deal killer, I might have lived with everything else, but not the useless little bed.

It rides rough, empty at low speed. This surprised me, as it has the go-fast long travel desert suspension. Which, must be great at soaking up big hits, but it was the harshest riding half ton I tested - by far. Rode kind of like a covered wagon at low speed on bumpy stuff. For an awful lot of the dirt two track I travel, this would not have been appreciated.

So, end of the day, for my purposes, totally ignoring price and MPG, the Raptor just wasn't a good match for me.

You're purposes may be different and it might be the perfect rig for you though!

- DAA

Thanks for the input! Great thoughts! Definitely persuasive!

I've also heard that 6.2l is really thirsty and would be an issue for any extended trips.
On the Ghost Town Tour we filled up at the end and my Supercrew Ecoboost with the 36 gal tank only took 20 gal to top off.
Even after towing someone for 40-50 miles.
With a full tank on dirt or back roads I have an almost 600 mile range.
What surprised me on another trip was how well the ecoboost wheels. Tons of low end torque lets you ease up obstacles at very low rpm.
It's also a towing monster and a pleasure to drive in the mountains when empty (stays in 6th @1500 rpm when going over Soldier Summit).
Go look at Russ' truck, I'm sure it will be big enough.

-Eric

Great points! I am glad I started this thread and got so much input. I forgot you had the EcoBoost too. I think that seals the deal! Raptor isn't right for me, but a well equipped FX4 is the ticket!

Thanks for all the replies!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I read a while back that in 2017 Raptor will switch from the 6.2l v8 (411hp,434lb-ft) to a 3.5l v6 ecoboost with 450hp. no torque numbers on it yet but I've heard of tunes on the current Ecoboost (365hp,420lb-ft)producing +50hp and +100lb/ft

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
In most of the Swell, on the White Rim, most of the west desert, the F150 is great. Took it through Black Dragon and down to Copper Globe dragging a trailer and just suffered a little running board carnage, so with good tires it's capable enough for mild wheeling for sure. It's the narrow tracks up Harkers Canyon and the tight windy stuff through the junipers following DAA around that convinced me the F150 can't be my everything truck. Depending on where you find yourself it might be great for you, or you might be let down.

I'll second DAAs thoughts on the bed - if you plan to use it like a pickup as well as a toy, don't get that short bed.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
In most of the Swell, on the White Rim, most of the west desert, the F150 is great. Took it through Black Dragon and down to Copper Globe dragging a trailer and just suffered a little running board carnage, so with good tires it's capable enough for mild wheeling for sure. It's the narrow tracks up Harkers Canyon and the tight windy stuff through the junipers following DAA around that convinced me the F150 can't be my everything truck. Depending on where you find yourself it might be great for you, or you might be let down.

I'll second DAAs thoughts on the bed - if you plan to use it like a pickup as well as a toy, don't get that short bed.

The 09 I had before was a 6.5' bed SuperCrew, and it was LONG, but great for hauling. I don't plan to use the bed for more than hauling camping gear since i have a small utility trailer for bigger stuff, so for the sake of maneuverability, I think I will go for the shorter bed this time around unless i look at it and can't fathom getting all my stuff into it.

Thanks for the feedback on your travels! Good to know!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I read a while back that in 2017 Raptor will switch from the 6.2l v8 (411hp,434lb-ft) to a 3.5l v6 ecoboost with 450hp. no torque numbers on it yet but I've heard of tunes on the current Ecoboost (365hp,420lb-ft)producing +50hp and +100lb/ft

This is true. The 17 will also be an aluminum body. I can't consider them though as they will likely be priced north of $70k. That is a bit outside my budget on a toy...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Are you planning to get rid of the JKU for this new truck?

Yes, but I have to see what I can transfer to the truck (i.e. compressor, winch, etc.), then see what the dealer will give for trade vs selling private party, and then see what I have to take off to make it worth my while (bumpers, trunk, lights, mirrors, etc.). I hate switching, but feel the time is near.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Raptor? Sure, if you don't take it off any sweet jumps... and by that I mean, don't hit any sort of a big bump at speed. The internet is plastered with Raptor owners who did so, only to have the frame bend:

ada3cc76.jpg

ford-svt-raptor-frame-bent-opt.jpg

f-150-raptor-frame-problem-2.jpg

images

p1020638n.jpg

FYI

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd LOVE to know those situations to bend a frame like that. I'd imagine there was some pretty impressive speeds and/or an interesting landing involved? I don't think they were intended to be actual turn key trophy trucks?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
IIRC the rear frame where the bumpstops hit is just designed poorly and caused that bending issue. I thought they fixed that on the newer models but admittedly don't really follow Raptor stuff on purpose.

The only other thing I have to add is that I lol'd about wanting to be unique in a JKU. I see sooooo many of them on the road and they're pretty much all the same. I also see a lot of Raptors but obviously less than the normal F150 so I suppose they could be considered more "rare." I'm not a fan of expensive rides, especially ones to be considered toys (becauseXJguy) so I can't say I've ever thought about driving a Raptor.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'd LOVE to know those situations to bend a frame like that.

According to many owners, all it took was just hitting a bump at moderate speed.

I don't think they were intended to be actual turn key trophy trucks?

Perhaps not, but that's how Ford marketed them. That's why owners began suing Ford for it when Ford wouldn't replace the frame under warranty. According to one official Ford statement I saw online, a Ford rep explained it away by saying they designed it this way on purpose. He claimed if they let their fancy suspension completely bottom out upon landing, it might cause the driver to lose control... so instead, they designed a built-in failure point to absorb the impact. This failure point just happens to be the frame itself.

IIRC the rear frame where the bumpstops hit is just designed poorly and caused that bending issue.

Yep.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
There is an inexpensive aftermarket gusset that is super common to add to fix the "frame bend issue" also those guys are going HUGE that bend them.

I think they're rad. They hold their value like no other Ford and I wholeheartedly approve. The worst that can happen is you don't love it and sell it.

I rode in one at SEMA a few years back and we were hitting alternating parking blocks spaced at 15 ft. at 35-40mph and it was smooooooooth. I was amazed!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Good feedback! I ended up with a brand new 2014 F150 FX4. It has the ecoboost, long bed, and is fully loaded. It is a sweet truck and was 8k less than the used Raptors I was looking at.

Good choice. That's what I'd do, if I didn't have one for work. Raptor is cool, but Eco-crew gets the job done. Put on 35s if you really need them, but 275/65r18s worked great for 4 years. I'll put 285s on the new one once the 265s wear out.