General Tech RCI aluminium tank finally cracked...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As the title says, my RCI aluminum tank of 6 years finally got a hairline crack on one of the seams. Does anybody know if they've improved them or is it still an issue. I feel like I'm pretty lucky for how it lasted... I read about the issues after purchased it and went ahead with it anyways.

Deciding to get a new one or just have this one welded. I'm worried it will just spring another leak.

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
in the middle of a stretch and tank relocation behind the seat, I have been torn getting my tank for the problem you mention and I have heard plenty of. Thanks for sharing the goat built post. I will have to keep an eye on that...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
in the middle of a stretch and tank relocation behind the seat, I have been torn getting my tank for the problem you mention and I have heard plenty of. Thanks for sharing the goat built post. I will have to keep an eye on that...

RCI makes a "rock crawler" model of that tank too (which is metal outer, bladder inner, same dimensions), but I can't find it online available and I read that they had a fire this month or last and are trying to recover. :confused:

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
Goat built says they are still a couple months out on having anything ready, and not sure I can... want, to wait that long, but we will see. I will have to look at the RCI with the bladder, I did not know they made those. I have seen the more box shaped, traditional ones, but not the dimensions for behind the seat. Great, more homework to look into haha!

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
When my RCI tank cracked I called them. Paid to have it shipped there. They fixed/welded it and sent it back at no charge, with new filler gaskets/spout. If the way you have it mounted will allow it I would also weld some angle iron to the edges to support/cover the welds so they no longer flex with the tank. Probably to cheapest solution.

They mentioned this is the reason they have there new “rock crawler” cells.

Or go to a plastic cell.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My neighbor just started an aluminum welding company. He's been the welder for Polar (the aluminum gas tanker truck company) for like the last 8 years. He can beef it up and is very fair with his prices.

Vern Taylor
801-two oh five- 6 O niien ate

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That looks pretty good, is it steel construction?

Yea the outer is all steel with a rubber bladder inner. I can't find any avail!

My neighbor just started an aluminum welding company. He's been the welder for Polar (the aluminum gas tanker truck company) for like the last 8 years. He can beef it up and is very fair with his prices.

Vern Taylor
801-two oh five- 6 O niien ate

Good to know! I'm likely going to just get a new one and have my old one repaired as a backup, or whatever. :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's the crack in the tank. It was actually really hard to see until I filled the tank with air to find the leak... Since then it has stayed spread like that.
Cracked-RCI-Tank.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I ended up ordering a new one because I couldn't find any of the "better" options and I didn't want to spend much time modifying the cell brackets. And besides, the last one lasted 6 years. I'm ok with that.

This one is the same tank, but Summit Branded. It's definitely and RCI. Even though the welds are not super pretty, they do look better. More material and coverage, hopefully more penetration too!

Here are some comparison photos:

New-Cell-Welds.jpgOld-Cell-welds.jpgNew-Cell-corner.jpgOld-Cell-corner.jpgCells-side-by-side.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I should update this. I got the Summit tank in a month ago. It's slightly smaller than the original RCI, even though it's obviously built by RCI. So far so good. Hope it lasts!

Bucking Bronco

Here's the crack in the tank. It was actually really hard to see until I filled the tank with air to find the leak... Since then it has stayed spread like that.
View attachment 110978
That's exactly what the cracks looked like in all three of my tanks. The first one I sold and went poly. The second I just welded back up and it's still holding. The one in my new buggy I'm going to brace with angle and see how it does.