Really need some help with putting on my rocksliders ASAP

TROKITA

Hey Friends I just bought some rock sliders, from a guy but i don't have a welder :'( there the TG sliders and need to be welded to the legs and to the frame. can anybody help me, i was kinda hoping that i can put them on before Saturday because im going up AF canyon to mineral basin in the morning. But i don't think it will be possible unless someone has time to help me before then. But either way if anybody can help me, let me know thanks :)

TROKITA

IDK dont really wanna pay alot to weld on the sliders :/ i dont wanna damage the bod of my truck. not to worried though :) i would want to get it done though

sixstringsteve

If I weren't so darn busy I'd totally help. I weld for pizza. I always think sliders will be a quick 30 min job, but I always end up spending at least 3 hours welding them on. Good call getting sliders, they're great insurance. Chances are good you can run that trail without them, but it's not worth risking rocker damage in my opinion. It just takes once to dent a rocker panel forever...

We'll be running Mineral Basin after the QTD as well.

TROKITA

If I weren't so darn busy I'd totally help. I weld for pizza. I always think sliders will be a quick 30 min job, but I always end up spending at least 3 hours welding them on. Good call getting sliders, they're great insurance. Chances are good you can run that trail without them, but it's not worth risking rocker damage in my opinion. It just takes once to dent a rocker panel forever...

We'll be running Mineral Basin after the QTD as well.
Ya I know :/ I'm not that crazy but ya that's what I'm afraid of. Only takes one bad slip to screw up the body "/ I got a great deal. got them for 100 bucks band new. There not welded together
I'd be happy to help you. Come put your truck on my lift and I'll weld em up for you.

I'm in Logan

Dang Logan huh that's quite a ways from where I am "/ how much would you charge me ?????????? Mite go if I can get nobody around here.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If you don't get it done sooner, I'm available this weekend and I'm a bit closer (Draper).
I honestly think you should take your time and do this in good light to make sure you get the look you want.
Will you be adjusting the length of the "legs"? Do you know the exact angle you want on the rails? Do you have
the frame ground clean where they weld on? It's much easier to do the painting if they are on the bench.
All of these things take some time.

If you know how to weld, then I can just turn you loose. If you don't, then we can do a little lesson first. If you're not comfortable with that then I can do it (though I'm not the greatest by any means)

If you can take it easy on Saturday and want to come by Sunday, or put Mineral Basin off a day, then I can set you up.
(no lift though...) and no charge also... I get a lot out of this community and think it may be time to return the favor.

I did Mineral Basin in my 4 door Rubicon with 2.5" lift and stock 32's. Never touched the sliders, just bumped the belly a couple times.

-Eric

Last edited:

TROKITA

Sweet ya that is a little closer then Logan. I can wait,I'm in no rush now that I have them and I've seen them I thought they were half welded ready to put on. But the plates and necks are all separated and need to be cut measured and welded to own specs. How long would you thing it will take ????? But I'm pretty Sure Sunday will be a good day sense I don't work Till Monday

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Not including the painting and maybe a little instruction, I'd guess a couple hours fitup and futzing plus 15 mins actual welding. We could fit and weld them up then paint. Come back later then weld them on.

Sixstring, how many jackstands did you use when you were fitting up yours (I don't have any)

TROKITA

I have 6 jack stands I can take 2, 2 ton 2, 3 ton and 2, 12 ton. The 12 tons are massive jack stands but might work. I really don't care much about paint I can figure that out later. I just don't want to weld paint go home and go back another day. I don't want to take too much time and days off you.
And ya I do have everything legs gussets foots, it just needs to be welded on all together and to the frame.

jentzschman

I will offer my welder. I am not the best at welding so I will tell you that right now. You are welcome to use it and/or I can do it/help you.

Let me know.

TROKITA

thanks man i might just go to frieed's place to do it, heck we should all just get together and have a mod day.
hey jentzschman you looking for a tire carrier ??? im selling my slanted fabtech one. or if you know anybody, cause aren't you going to do the rear bumper tire carrier ?????

jentzschman

thanks man i might just go to frieed's place to do it, heck we should all just get together and have a mod day.
hey jentzschman you looking for a tire carrier ??? im selling my slanted fabtech one. or if you know anybody, cause aren't you going to do the rear bumper tire carrier ?????

Yes, I am planning on a swing out carrier.

Thanks for the offer though.

PS. Let me know when you are going to your buddies. I will try and swing by

Cascadia

Undecided
I would paint as much as you can before you weld them on, but that's just me. I painted mine with about 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint. I painted it all except for the last 2 inches, close to where the welds would be. That way when they were all welded up I just had to paint a few inches and hit the bare frame at the same time. You'd be shocked how fast they will rust with one moist air day, then it's a major pain. Painting before saves tons of taping too.

sixstringsteve

Frieed is the man, he will do an.excellent job and he is a great.guy. take your time, measure a ton, and dont rush it. Oh, and post pics up when youre done.

One tip.i have for tacomas, i usually mount my sliders so the innermost part of the parallel tube is even with.the seam under the doors. I even beat the seam Flat with a big hammer for more clearance. I think my sliders are perfect on my current rig, feel free to swing by and check wn out before you do yours.