Rebuilding a 2016 Beta 300RR

Paul R

After not riding regularly for many years, Kurt finally talked me into getting a dirt bike again. Last year I picked up a 23 Husky 501 (which has been a blast!) but started looking for a 2 stroke to round out the stable for the time being for tighter single track. I ended up finding a deal on a 2016 Beta 300 RR last fall but it was pretty rough. I halfheartedly started rebuilding it until a recent push to get it up and going before I miss the summer singlet rack trails.

I'm horrible at taking pictures along the way and always think I have more. As I purchased it:
IMG_5419 2.jpeg

I knew it was in rough shape and it was pretty obvious rough around the edges and the custom bends on the radiators, but it seemed to run strong so I figured I was up for the challenge.
IMG_2495.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg

It had a fresh top end and as usual when buying used, the workmanship and quality wasn't where it needed. As I was chasing the water pump seals, I had to open it up a bit to change bearings so I decided to pull the engine out onto the stand and check it all a bit more thoroughly. As suspected, there were more issues, the piston was ok, but the PV was totally gummed up, the cylinder was scarred up and past the nikasil in a few spots and most unfortunately the conrod was out of spec and I ended up splitting the cases.
IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_4896.jpeg

It was somewhere around here that I went into overdrive and had a bit of unreasonable escalation of commitment. Mostly from a time investment, but I also ordered up some nicer parts and decided to do it right. I stripped the frame down to powder coat it and I also blasted the case, swing arm, and various parts and sprayed and cured with Cerakote.
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg

Paul R

Here is the engine with a new bottom and top end rebuild. It helps to work in industrial repair because I was able to source bearings pretty economically and use all our sand blasters, paint booth, and ovens. It had a Rekluse Autoclutch when I bought it, but I want a manual clutch in this one so I swapped it out for a Rekluse Torq Drive Manual clutch. I finished it off with a larger water pump and RK Tek head.
IMG_5317.jpegIMG_5318.jpeg

Here is it is all going back together:
Suspension was rebuilt by Josh at Alpine XC to fix leaky seal and stanchions, and added some lucky cartridges as well. I rebuilt the all the swing arm and linkage bearings so it will all be in good shape.
IMG_5400.jpeg
IMG_5411 2.jpeg
Now fully up to date on where it sits today. Most the big stuff is done now but plenty of small stuff left. Need to rebuild the calipers, finish all the electrical, rebuild the carb, and make sure everything is in good order. Jonesing to get smokin soon!

The_Lobbster

Love Betas!

My brother had his 2018 300rr street legalized, not as an off-road vehicle, but as a legit street motorcycle. DMV seemed to miss the little part about it being two stroke 😂

Paul R

Very nice! I’ve been eying down Betas lately.. let me know how you like it 😎
You'll have to come take it for a rip when she's dialed in.
Nice bike build. You'll like those Lucky inserts.
If you all ever need a cylinder redone in the future, I've got an account with Millennium Plating.
I've had good luck fixing radiators myself but when they're that bad: Myler's Radiator (near SLC airport #2) has done a fantastic job of making them look brand new.
I have the old cylinder (I ended up buying new). What does it typically run to get replated? Might want to get it done just to have as a backup.
I ended up just buying new Myler radiators but I'll keep it in mind for the future.
FYI, don't tell Josh at Alpine that you Cerakoted bike parts. He is pretty mild mannered and avoids sharing opinions until you talk about Cerakote or Tubliss :rofl:
Ha! I have chatted with him a few times about Tubliss so I can only imagine Cerakote. Gonna have to drop that gem next time I see it. :rofl: I have been powder coating random stuff for a few years with pretty good results. So I was curious about Cerakote. So far I have been impressed with the ease of use and durability. If I had to pay someone else to do it all, I'd probably feel different.