Registering your Off Road only Crawler

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I registered my buggy over a week ago before I headed to moab.

What I had to do is go down to the DMV and explain what I was trying to do. At first I thought I was going to be able to use the old vin (just rivet it to the new chassis) and so I told them that I wanted to convert my cherokee over to off-road registration only. In order to do this, you have to get an new VIN anyways. You have to give up your title and re-assign it to yourself again. I thought this was weird, but they have the paper work for it.

So what I did was fill out the first bit of paper work (vin numbers, descriptions, names, etc...) and turn in the title. They handed me a new vin plate (utah assigned vin) which I took along with another piece of paper for an officer to fill out. I riveted the new vin into place, called dispatch and had a city officer come look at the vin (he also did a check on the old VIN to make sure it wasn't stolen) and then he filled out the paper work. Basically confirms that I put the vin on this other chassis, gave it a year (2004) and I got to name it myself (make, model).

Then I had to take the paper work the officer signed down to the DMV where they entered in the information for the new vehicle id. After that, they handed me the new registration sheet and a couple of blue stickers.

Luckily I live close to the DMV so it wasn't a problem driving back and forth. It's gonna suck for you city folks. :p The only thing the officer checked was the VIN numbers. He never looked at the vehicle to see if it was up to any kind of specs or anything.

Hopefully this will help out some of you with the process. Word of advise, be nice to the people behind the counter at the DMV. They can make your day a good one, or turn it into hell depending on your attitude. They get jerks in there all the time. ;)

Caleb

so did anyone in the process ever check out your buggy? I was wondering if I could get it done before my buggy is finished...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
supergper said:
so did anyone in the process ever check out your buggy? I was wondering if I could get it done before my buggy is finished...

Well, it was practically done when he came and looked at it so I don't know if it would matter or not. He walked to the front of it, wrote down the new vin, color, engine type (cylinders & gas), and that's about all I can think of. They primarily just check to make sure that none of the property with the old vins are stolen and that you are not putting a new vin on something that has been stolen. That's just about it. :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
And one more thing, it cost me about $25 or so to register mine. :D Price may be subjective, I'm not sure.

utahxjer

Herzog said:
And one more thing, it cost me about $25 or so to register mine. :D Price may be subjective, I'm not sure.
how did you get it to be only 25 bucks? They told me on the phone it goes on how much it's worth?