Relic Run 2010

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
100_4379.jpg

You prime the canister on a green, two burner Coleman stove while the light flickers from the gas lantern in the spring bar tent next to you. You can see Mom and the kids down by the lake as you grab the food from the cooler in the back of your Jeep Wagoneer. You smile as you take in the quiet, crisp evening air.

As the sun goes down you can smell dinner cooking from your stove and the half dozen other others in your group. A friend walks over to your camp, offers you a Blue Ribbon and a chat about the day's journey. You talk about tomorrow and express hope that your carburetor doesn't act up again.

Mom and the kids run back from the lake to find dinner ready. After which the family wanders its way to another camp fire and the adults talk the night away while the kids chase fireflies and play hide and seek with flashlights.

________
Does this dredge up memories of a by gone era? 40 years ago when camping was spring bar tents, flannel sleeping bags and flashlights the size of baseball bats. When the idea of taking a trip into the wild was to get away from it all. Before GPS, cell phones, satellite radio and laptops. Your only navigational aids being a map, compass and dead reckoning.

Welcome to the Relic Run. An annual event where we invoke the spirit of how we used to travel. That traveling into the backcountry is as much about the journey as it is the destination. Born from the idea that many of us love to travel overland to beautiful locations, but that we had become overly dependent on our modern conveniences. That it would be fun to do it the way we used to.

Participants in the Relic Run embrace the the way things used to be by only bringing their 1970's or older vehicles and camping gear while leaving the 21st century at the trail head. 2010 marks the second time out for the Relic Run. Last year was a resounding success as we circumnavigated the Great Salt Lake. This year we will be leaving the desert behind for the cool air of the high Unita's.

From July 8th to 12th nearly a dozen vintage 4x4s loaded to the brim with nostalgia will depart from Kamas, Utah and travel to a base camp. Each day we will depart for scenic trips in the area and then return for nights packed with events like gear show and tells, pot lucks, history and story telling.

Relic Run's organizers at Expedition Utah would like to invite you to join us!

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Maybe he means the things we've talked ourselves into needing......? :rofl:

This is such a cool event. Hopefully I can get geared up for the next one.... in my uncut 71 FJ40 mooahahah

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I better get the 73 commando finished by then ! As far as the other relics to bring along that's not an issue since I'm a relic from the 50's.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I may just debut the old Blazer at this run... :cool:

Only issue is, I'm leaving on a two week bike trip the following week. Might be kind of tough getting out of work that many days in a row.

Here's another Relic Run 2009 shot to get you excited for 2010. Thanks to Tony Krantz for scanning this photo print.

Attachments

• Image10%20(Medium).jpg
    Image10%20(Medium).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 100

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ The answer to your question is found in your question... "70's"... YES! :)

1979 and older equipment. Period. Bring it.

... Make sure the pre 80's rig can tow the camper/trailer.. We did have some old iron failures last year.. 1 blown Willy's motor, which btw should be in attendance.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
sweet!! I will submit a Pic of the both soon as my camera is working.

truck is a 79 jeep j10 honcho
trailer is....well.....a trailer.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Here's a few scanned 35mm photos from Relic Run 2009 to wet your pallet. Last year's adventure found us circumnavigating the Great Salt Lake. Images © 2009 Michael Slade

Kurtcamp.jpg

Photo courtesy of Michael Slade - Relic Run 2009

mamiyacameraoncooler.jpg

wyattdrinkingwaterbehindtruck.jpg

seriesoneandlandcruiser.jpg

desolate.jpg

seriousoneandpuptent.jpg

Ford Prefect

We are a year later than last, make it 1980 and older and I can take my 80 CJ7.:)

Check the manufacture date, maybe it was really made in 79 but they called it an 80... :)

My Jeep LOOKS old.
That is exactly what I was thinking of mine... :D Then again mine is technically a classic now ('84)

Looks like fun. If I ever get that unimog I want then I will tag along with yall one year.

Last edited: