Remaining a "maximalist" -garage/junk organization

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Stackable clear plastic totes (the HD style) have been a game changer for me. By grouping tools and supplies in them its easy to see what I have and find it when its needed. One has all my A/C tools in it; vacuum pump, oil, gauges, r-34, etc. Another has 12v electrical, another is household electrical and so on. Makes it easy to keep organized at a glance. I also use them to stage parts for upcoming projects; it keeps everything in one place so I don't end up with Jeep, car and motorcycle parts all spread out and unfindable.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My "manbox". 40' of cabinets.

Holy crap that's pretty. I think I'd die of pride if my junk was half that clean and organized.

This thread is good. I'm minimalizing my way out from under a lot of crap I've been hoarding, but I've got a bunch of tools and parts I can't get rid of too. I like some of the organization tips here. I've been liking milk crates for tool and part storage - sturdier than the clear plastic totes, and you can still see what's inside. Kinda small though, I wish I could find more of the wide ones.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
For anyone with nut and bolt organization in mind, I HIGHLY recomend something like a Thread Detective. There are a few pretty good options. Mine has some drawbacks. The sizes are printed on the plastic ball and they're known to wear off. So, I'm careful in using and storing mine.

View attachment 101325

That's cool. I have a couple coffee cans full of misc nuts and bolts, I need one of those.

pELYgroso

'Merica
For anyone with nut and bolt organization in mind, I HIGHLY recomend something like a Thread Detective. There are a few pretty good options. Mine has some drawbacks. The sizes are printed on the plastic ball and they're known to wear off. So, I'm careful in using and storing mine.

View attachment 101325

I will definitely have to get a thread detective or something of the sort. Does anybody make one like they have at Home Depot w/ all of the sizes on one panel that's labeled? Something you can hang on the wall for quick access to every size?

sixstringsteve

It's probably one of those "buy once, cry once" things as Kurt would say. I think it'd pay for itself quite quickly. It'll be one of those things you pass down to your grandkids.

Pike2350

Another good option for nut & bolt storage is plastic containers....a lot of the time you have these already from peanut butter or what not. My dad used to hoard the old Gerber jars (glass) for this...but over the years they tended to break...now he has TONS of the Costco Macadamian Nut cluster jars that would work perfect for this.

Sewing_Fig6_opt.jpeg

I've also seen where they fasten the lid to a board and you screw/unscrew the jar from it. Like this

18ixh7btl2u8pjpg.jpg

This is another great way to do it.
il_fullxfull.334459636.jpg

I'm also a big fan of trying to use the space between the studs....it isn't really much room taken up (except you can't really stack infront of it, but you can use a small space and go tall) Something like this

FZ6MNW9GSUSHLPW.LARGE.jpg

I do also like the closable ones like posted earlier..and then building a "cart" that is tall to hold all the individual cases.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I will definitely have to get a thread detective or something of the sort. Does anybody make one like they have at Home Depot w/ all of the sizes on one panel that's labeled? Something you can hang on the wall for quick access to every size?

My brother made his own. Buy a bolt and nut in each size, weld it to a shiny piece of diamond plate. Works very well.

Jeepj667

Sutherlands has some of their old display containers for sale. They are the smaller plastic tip-out containers for hardware. They are in varying condition but are only $2 for a set. I think there was 6 or 7 tip-outs per set.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've been growing my junk collection by taking from those trying to eliminate junk. And I'm happy about it. I'll just have more materials when the Apocalypse hits. LOL. You should see my garage. Its an absolute mess. I am parting out one Range Rover, fixing a blown headgasket on another and in the 3rd bay I have stashed all the parts from the Range Rover I'm parting out. I can barely walk in my garage anymore.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jib hoist

Here's some pics of the jib hoist in my loft.

Attachments

• IMG_20151002_122212.jpg
    IMG_20151002_122212.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20151002_122013.jpg
    IMG_20151002_122013.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 19