Requirements for participation in a U4WDA event:

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I am posting this not for discussion of any changes but for your information and reaction.
Todd
Safety Officer

Requirements for participation in a U4WDA event:

1. Roll bar or integral metal top
2. Seat belts and the use of them for every passenger in the vehicle while on the trail
3. No alcoholic beverages allowed on the trail
4. True 4-wheel drive vehicle with a low range transfer case
5. Full sized spare tire
6. Jack to lift vehicle
7. Liability release form signed by everyone in the vehicle
8. Licensed as a motor vehicle or OHV. No exceptions.

Strongly recommended equipment:

1. Tow points front and rear of vehicle (ball hitch is not considered a tow point due to safety)
2. Tow strap with loops (tow strap with hooks attached not recommended as the hooks can become lethal projectiles)
3. Fire extinguisher
4. First aid kit (training recommended for it's use)
5. Citizen Band Radio (this may be moved to the required list as it is very important to stay in communications with the trail officials who are required to have this radio) in good working order.

Recommended equipment:

1. Spill control kit (bag of kitty litter and trash bags)
2. Tool kit
3. Spare parts you may need
4. High lift jack
5. Roll cage

Trail ratings and requirements
1 All weather road; 4WD not needed.

Required equipment for this trail: none

1 1/2 Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather.

2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.

2 1/2 Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful.

3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required.

3 1/2 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed.

Required equipment for this trail: tow hooks front and rear and tow strap with loops. 30" tires required with larger tires recommended. Fire extinguisher and first aid kit also recomended.

4 Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.

Required equipment for this trail: tow hooks front and rear, tow strap with loops, locking differential in at least one axle. 31" tires minimum, fire extinguisher and first aid kit. 33" tires or larger tires recommended.

4 + We can hardly improve on the original description written a few years ago by Jack Bickers: "with driving by World Class Yahoo Jeepers not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety." It is common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures (gears, axles, driveshafts) on these trails.

Required equipment for this trail: tow hooks front and rear, tow strap with loops, locking differential in at least one axle. 33" tire minimum, fire extinguisher and first aid kit. Winch, roll cage, two locking differentials and 35" tires or larger recommended.

5 Extreme trail recommended for purpose built rock buggies only. Body damage and rollovers are expected. Caution as personal injury could occur. Trail leader has the right to refuse participation to anyone.

Required equipment for this trail: Tow hooks front and rear, tow strap with loops, locking differential in both axles, winch, minimum 35" tires, full roll cage, fire extinguisher and first aid kit. Tech inspection will be required for this trail rating. Inexperienced drivers no matter the equipment will be asked to join another trail.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Todd Adams said:
5 Extreme trail recommended for purpose built rock buggies only. Body damage and rollovers are expected. Caution as personal injury could occur. Trail leader has the right to refuse participation to anyone.

Define; purpose built rock buggy.

I have a full body rig and am willing to put it most places a "rock buggy" goes.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
James K said:
Define; purpose built rock buggy.

I have a full body rig and am willing to put it most places a "rock buggy" goes.
James, my wife and I compete in a full-bodied rig but I consider it a rock buggy. I remember a guy coming almost to tears when he bashed his door in on “Eagles Nest”. We are just trying to make people understand by forcing requirements on them.
As long as it meets the other requirements and you don't care what happens to it on the trail it would be up to the trail leader. I put in the trail leader part because I think it would be up to him, knowing the trail, to let you go or not, same with him ascertaining your experience level.
There are a lot of great rigs out there that the owners want to keep them looking good. It just takes too long to get this type of rig through an extreme trail without body damage. Kind of like the three try and you get the strap rule which is also up to the trail leader. I believe this should be mandatory as so may others get impatient on an organized run. If you want to play go out with some friends but don’t hold up an organized trail.
Todd