Responsible FJ Owner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate__82

The Mighty Green
Bobog and others summed it up...

However... Lets take a pro-active approach towards this and see if we can't try and educate rather than flame. I know, I know I am one to speak ;)... but its worth a try.

Steve, would you post this over on the FJC forum:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike, I can appreciate your excitement and desire to get out and wheel your new FJC, but please remember that a single persons actions can damage the work that hundereds have done in the American Fork Canyon over the past years. Not only is it illegal to drive in Forest Lake (or any other wildlife lake, pond, etc)... its also very un-ethical as a 4x4 user. The image it portrays to those that do not enjoy our recreation can be damaging to say the least.

Several local Utah 4x4 clubs and hundereds of individual users have spent countless hours in the AFC area to prevent trail closures, please respect our hard work by respecting the law.

Thanks and I would appreciate it if you would remove your video before it makes the next season of SUWA's slideshow presentations ;)

Kurt Williams
President - Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEN... if he still wants to get western about it all, game on :cool: Call Randy ;)

i agree with this. i appriciate you taking this approach. seriously though.. put ourselves in this guys shoes and think about what we are saying to him. if you guys all got on my case about it, i could take it two ways:

1) i could get mad and offended and do more to make you upset and rewin it for everyone on purpose
2) i could humble myself, and learn from my mistake and appologize

but usualy when people get mad at me and dont talk to me about it, but just critisize me, i usualy go with #1. maybe he is ignorant to the fact that this is not right. when i was younger and went wheeln, i would have had no idea that i shouldnt drive through a lake.. it would just be fun, and i would think nothing of it. but now i know. and as GI Joe says "knowing is half the battle". so if this guy doesnt know, by default, he looses the battle all together. im not saying this is the case. im just agreeing with kurt with taking a more civilized approach to the ordeal, and helping people become aware of what they are really doing instead of making the guy feel hated by the world. sorry i rambled on so much..:D

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
When I flagged it as illegal it says that it takes 24-48 hours but it is guaranteed to be viewed by a youtube staff member. Hopefully having it pulled down and a lesson learned will be the best approach.

I already talked to one of my buddies in green. Herzog, send me that kid's phone number, so I can pass it on. They can find him via that number, and a ticket will be in the mail.

Dart

Banned
OMG i know him. well I just stopped Knowing him. I may give hima call after the ticket gets to him:mad2:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Not sure if a wenzeling would be my first choice. I feel that driving past well marked signs that were placed with a purpose deserves a ticket, but that is not my call, that will be up to the LEO's who I hope will take the time to look into this more and enforce the laws.
My first choice would be to supply education to a new off-road recreationalist who can help us protect the land, support some land use efforts, and open their eyes to the proper places to have that kind of fun without breaking any laws.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not sure if a wenzeling would be my first choice. I feel that driving past well marked signs that were placed with a purpose deserves a ticket, but that is not my call, that will be up to the LEO's who I hope will take the time to look into this more and enforce the laws.
My first choice would be to supply education to a new off-road recreationalist who can help us protect the land, support some land use efforts, and open their eyes to the proper places to have that kind of fun without breaking any laws.

Agreed. I'm the kettle... but this approach seems to make the most sense overall. I think this type of offroad behavior (mis-behavior) is going to do nothing but increase. Joe Shmoes can walk into the dealer, sign away and pull off with a pretty capable rig these days, be it a Rubicon, Xterra, Rubicon, etc. They get zero education from the dealer, they get zero education from peer users in some cases (such as the high-fives of the FJC forum), and they might not even get education from other users when commiting the offense (some might watch, scold, but how often do we really go out of our way to talk to someone about their actions).

I guess look at it from both sides of the fence... I look at speed limit signs with a grin... a "non-educated" wheeler might do the same with a no-route sign. They don't have a clue about the "big picture", where actions of few can be disaserous for many.

I've talked about authoring a letter to send/give to these "offenders", be it via email, snailmail, printed version, etc. Ideally I would love it to talk a little bit about all the reasons why NOT to dissrespect the land, as well as reasons why we should respect the land. It will include contact info for area clubs, land managers, etc. I have a draft version that will be included with my future AF Canyon book... but I am going to find some time to tweak it for internet use.

I say ticket the crap out of them. The bigger the fine, the more friends they will tell about it. I like the good cop approach as well. It's a better long term solution.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Why do the comments keep dissapearing from the Ytube site? Is it something our buddy Mike is doing himself (I am not familiar with how the site works)? If it is him it says something that he deletes the comments but not the video.

majojo4

Ok Guys im MIKE. You can take all of the shots at me you want. Here is my two cents. Im new to Utah. Im not new to the offroad community. Forest lake is one of the first places I have been here for a day out wheeling besides moab. As for signs...there were none. You know, I probably should have read something somewhere that would have explained the nature of this particular area and the laws but I cant say that I did. All I knew this day was that here was a fun offroad trail that we found...lots of other rigs out there...A small lake at the end of the trail with a shallow muddy section that was obviously a tread bowl to dozens or more of other rigs before me...and again, I saw no signs.

Im not going to make a bunch of excusses...I can see now that I shouldn't have done it but at the time it seemed like part of the days fun. This is an offroading forum....everyone here plays in the mud now and then. I am sorry that I did not know that this was the wrong place for it.

And the hate comments.....Kept them to yourselves in the future....It really doesnt make me want to do anything stupid but they are going to piss some one else off in the future who wont blow it off like I do.

Listing some ones personal information on a forum....Your low who ever did that.

As for the video clip on You Yube. I have removed it. Or at least I will as soon as I finish typing here.

I guess if anyone else wants to talk about it, ask a question or take another shot at someone you dont know because it makes you feel bigger, call or stop by...you all have my contact info.

For any damage, offenses that I have caused....I am Sorry.

Mike

Meat_

Banned
You screwed up. Your post goes a long way to redemption. The signs at Forest Lake have a nasty habit of getting run over. For future reference it's better to assume you can't drive somewhere than to assume you can.

Kurt, how about taking out his addie and phone?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
majojo4 welcome to RME. I feel that your post owning up goes a long way, I for one am glad that you can take responsibility and man up. I appreciate what you have said. I took a moment and removed your personal information from this thread. This is a board full of mostly Utah based 4x4 nuts who like to have fun in our rigs, but at the same time take land use issues, trail etiquette, and keeping trails open seriously. We are not about personal attacks, but the group here takes land rights issues personally. I for one hope you stick around and join us in some trail rides.

majojo4

majojo4 welcome to RME. I feel that your post owning up goes a long way, I for one am glad that you can take responsibility and man up. I appreciate what you have said. I took a moment and removed your personal information from this thread. This is a board full of mostly Utah based 4x4 nuts who like to have fun in our rigs, but at the same time take land use issues, trail etiquette, and keeping trails open seriously. We are not about personal attacks, but the group here takes land rights issues personally. I for one hope you stick around and join us in some trail rides.

Appreciate it. I'll be around. Let me know when the runs are...i'll be there.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member

majojo4

Thanks. If the wifey will let me out im there....With Moab all of next week, I might need to stick around this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.