Reverse Osmosis Water

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I posted elsewhere that I had finally got my RO system hooked up in the new house and Kevin asked for more details. I figured I'd just make a post with that info in case other people were also interested.

We got this RO system probably 4 years ago for Christmas. We used it for a couple years then uninstalled it from our previous house when we moved and its sat for a couple years waiting for me to buy the $30 in connectors to hook it back up.

This is the system we bought. It says its on a really good sale but thats about what my parents paid for it. I can't remember exactly why I picked this system but I probably got the link from reddit or another forum when I was looking. The filters are good for X number of gallons filtered so with just the three of us we haven't needed to change them. I got a tester at the same time I got the system so thats how I check periodically to see if we need to change the filters. I tested before then after and saw a night and day difference.

Hooking the system up.

These small set ups are designed to be able to get installed under your kitchen sink. I had easy access from my basement mechanical room so I ran a 1/4" tube from down there to under my kitchen sink and up through the counter top. Basically you need to connect the system to cold water and then also another connection to a drain pipe. The system cleans the filters by flushing them with fresh water so that wasted water goes down the drain. The system came with everything I'd need to tap into the under sink pipes but since I was connecting it downstairs I had to stare at the connectors at lowes for a while and piece some things together.

At the new house I had the plumbers run the 1/4" tube to the kitchens and they added a 1/2" stub in the mechanical room to hook into. This isn't something that you connect to your big sink faucet, you'd use one of the small ones next to the main one at your sink. This is how its installed as of today.

xzyA8yLl.jpg

The black hose on the left goes to the floor drain. The tank on the floor is just an expansion tank to have additional capacity filtered ready to go and also provide some pressure to the system and lines. You can also see the stub coming out from the wall by the expansion tank. This is a 5 stage system.

This is how my costco water is filtered...
Z7DFGejl.jpg

I need to flush my lines a bit because last night there was a "taste" but once that clears this water is as good as it gets. As I said before there isn't a ton of pressure in the system so if you want a big pitcher filled or like a 5 gallon jug its going to take a long time.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Also, since your tank isn't large, I'd stick with gallons.
I have a 2.5 gallon scepter water jug that I've filled up a few times for camping. It's takes a while but I just let it sit in the sink and run for like 5 or 10 minutes then turn it off so the pressure can rise then go through that process again until it's full. I then just use that to fill water bottles and don't use it for washing hands or dishes.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
man back in the mid to late 90's I went to school in the army to do water purification with RO filtering. we had big trailers that held the filters. we were able to do like 9000 gallons a day. thanks for bringing back some memories!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Superior Water and Air got us when we first moved to Utah 13 years ago. We got their RO and Softener systems. We have long since sold off the softener, but have been using the RO just about every day since then. Ours is similar to yours, but has 4 vertical hanging filters that just 1/4 turn into place. I was told 3 of the 4 need to be replaced yearly and the 4th is every 5-7 years. I just replaced all 4 for the first time last week!!! There was a big difference in taste, but even those old filters were making the water taste much better than normal Magna water. I was not prepared for the $350 they charged me for the 4 filters, so it will probably be another 13 years before I buy them again. Mine is mounted under the kitchen sink, but I ran my 1/4" line to the refrigerator so I could have cold water and crystal clear ice cubes.

Brent, I asked Superior about the pressure in the tank because I noticed ours water pressure was pretty low. They told me 5-7 PSI. I need to check it, but I assume ours has lost pressure over time. What you increase it to?