Ride Report; 7 days, 5 states and 2,800 miles on a KTM 990 Adventure

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Greg, this ride and your details of the gear are awesome and very well timed for me. Having just bought my DR, this is exactly the type of thing I hope to be doing. My ride with Jake this summer showed me how much you can experience on a multi-day trip on a motorcycle. It's unlike any other experience in my opinion. I just needed to move up to a more capable do it all bike. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
When I find some extra money I would like a big bike.. I'll be very happy to join on rides like this!

Very nice report. Makes me jealous.

Don't wait too long... life is happening out there! ;)

Hahaaaa... thanks, it felt like it changed my life for sure.

Greg, this ride and your details of the gear are awesome and very well timed for me. Having just bought my DR, this is exactly the type of thing I hope to be doing. My ride with Jake this summer showed me how much you can experience on a multi-day trip on a motorcycle. It's unlike any other experience in my opinion. I just needed to move up to a more capable do it all bike. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to help! :D The DR is perfect for trips like this, with even more dirt! The 990 is a big bike and it does better on the highway, but not as well as the DR does offroad. There is no such thing as the perfect bike though, every bike will have a tradeoff.

Perhaps we ought to start planning a Fall Adventure bike ride in Moab? :greg: 3 days riding the fun, long-distance trails?

Greg

Admin
I spent several hours editing this video, it's 18 min long so if you want to watch it get comfortable! :D

I kept the sound from the ride and added music at lower volume in the background... not totally sure I like it, but let me know what you guys think! Took me awhile to find songs with the right 'feel' and I think they fit decent. Watch it in HD, as usual...

[video=youtube;qTROfFvx9Vo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTROfFvx9Vo[/video]

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I did a similar route solo and it was one of the best times I've ever had.. brings back some great memories. Great report I loved it start to finish :cool:

Greg

Admin
I did a similar route solo and it was one of the best times I've ever had.. brings back some great memories. Great report I loved it start to finish :cool:

Thanks Andrew, some of those roads were simply incredible! I do wish I had spent more time in certain parts, but I was trying to cover some ground. I actually started to ride up the Beartooth Highway like we talked about, but the day was getting short and I needed to get to Helena. :( I wanted to see it and wasn't far away, but after turning back early it was still almost 9 PM before I got into Helena.... guess I have a reason to go back. ;)

Woooo Hooo! Great trip and thanks for sharing it Greg!

- DAA

Appreciate it Dave! Really wanted to see some bear like you did, but I didn't see one!

Greg

Admin
Greg - somehow I missed this trip report. I had no idea. Tooooooo cool.

Almost 10 years ago!! Not sure where the time has gone. This trip was pretty damn epic for me, tackling such a big ride solo was liberating, doing my own thing & running at my pace was so enjoyable. Unfortunately, a car accident & the following surgery screwed up my shoulder and I haven't recovered well enough to get back on a bike, so my riding days are over. :(