Rivet nuts

airmanwilliams

Anyone know of a local (utah county) place that sells Rubber insulated rivet nuts and pin-in-hex drive screws? I found some online but dont want to wait for shipping. Need these to put my light bar mounts in my roof as well as my new roof rack mounts.

STAG

Ace Hardware has the rubber expansion nuts, also the crimp-style Rivnuts, at least the Pleasant Grove one does.

Not sure if they have security bit screws, I would imagine yes.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Slightly off topic, but not really. I see more and more styles of these things coming out. The best ones I've seen came in a corner kit from poison spyder. I just used some "rivnuts" in a two-piece design and they were junk, granted I didn't used the $225 crimper. Can anyone enlighten me on the best "rivet" style nut. Preferably one that doesn't need a special install tool. I'd like them in sizes up to 3/8th.

STAG

This is my fav kind.

rivnut-ribed.jpg

Pretty easy to install. Sold at Fastenal and Ace Hardware that I've found. Here's one on my Hummer.

k139.jpg

Last edited:

UFAB

Rubber isolated rivnuts. Hmm sounds Aviation or automation catalogs.

Last edited:

UFAB

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401744615815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401744615815.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 27

gary78bronco

Slightly off topic, but not really. I see more and more styles of these things coming out. The best ones I've seen came in a corner kit from poison spyder. I just used some "rivnuts" in a two-piece design and they were junk, granted I didn't used the $225 crimper. Can anyone enlighten me on the best "rivet" style nut. Preferably one that doesn't need a special install tool. I'd like them in sizes up to 3/8th.

Your looking for jack nuts, s & h terminal used to stock them, I'm not sure if they go as big as 3/8-16.

STAG

Rubber expansion well nuts (up to 3/8")
67492F3A-BF21-4ACB-A20E-0BD4B9220704_zpsmxnmnp63.jpg

Jack nuts (weak IMO) (up to 1/4")
DB7A4BF3-99B1-45C3-95B7-FEC9BA1CEADD_zpsginbb8df.jpg

Steel blind inserts (I used these in my Hummer picture) (up to 3/8")
DD9DEE75-08E5-4B2B-A0A0-0F964D453B2D_zpscwwgbv4a.jpg

Aluminum blind inserts and tool. (Up to 3/8")
F36092A4-7BFA-4C9C-8C4E-1C9D22F4DF09_zpszx74vdyl.jpg

All of these do the same thing, give you a nut on the backside of thin sheet material. All have different pros/cons.

Last edited:

STAG

But I have also seen heavier duty jack-nuts. These came with my Weathergard toolbox

7E73FA32-BC83-41A4-A72F-A129AD13079B_zpspi6xscx2.jpg

airmanwilliams

I keep passing by Ace and forget to check on these but will this week. Mounts are almost done for my 40" bar so I need to grab these asap. If you guys come across a great deal on a bulk amount of the rubber rivnuts please let me know, I wouldnt mind buying alot to hold onto for future projects.

gary78bronco

I keep passing by Ace and forget to check on these but will this week. Mounts are almost done for my 40" bar so I need to grab these asap. If you guys come across a great deal on a bulk amount of the rubber rivnuts please let me know, I wouldnt mind buying alot to hold onto for future projects.

I could try to find you some. What size's and quantity's?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm not sure I'd trust the rubber dealios to hold a 40" lightbar... The crimp-in steel ones I'd trust, but not the jack-nuts or rubber expansion nuts. Even if it's a cheap lightbar, it's still more money than I'd be OK losing as you buzz down the freeway/trail. Just my $.02

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a riveter that I did the nutserts on my window channel on my cj7 with... I think it did 1/4-20 size nutserts... I tried to look it up on the big parts store sites and they no longer sell the tool....