Report RME4x4.com Quarterly 4x4 Training 4/12

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
RME4x4.com's Quarterly 4x4 Training

I did not attend Friday's mini-seminars and discussions, but I have no doubt that they were as good and informative as always.

Teraflex sponsored Saturday's breakfast, which was delicious and filling. The group then split into two groups; the first group went with Kurt Williams for a Recovery 101 training, and the other group stayed with Stephen Nielsen for a training on proper Trail Etiquette.

9180ccc7.jpg

Kurt Williams of Cruiser Outfitters giving basic off-road Recovery instruction

After both groups had been through the Recovery and Trail Etiquette trainings, the groups merged once again for a great First Aid training by Kevin D from the PG Paramedic group. He covered all aspects of emergencies that might be encountered in the backcountry.

c0bc6957.jpg

Kevin D covering First Aid and other medical emergency instruction

f87c25ed.jpg

Attendees of RME4x4.com's 4x4 Training event watch and listen to a First Aid training.

After the First Aid training we heard from Scott and Marc who covered basic driving and spotting techniques. This is the prerequisite to heading out on course to learn about basic 4x4 functionality, proper selection of gears and traction aid devices, judging terrain, choosing lines to drive, and spotting other vehicles. Scott and Marc do a great job, and everyone looks forward to finally getting some drive time out on the rocks.

a98065a1.jpg

Scott & Marc teaching about proper driving and spotting techniques

096dbf26.jpg

TJDukit takes instruction from Marc Bryson in his JK Rubicon. Scott assists a 1st gen Nissan Xterra through the ravine.

d439a1a2.jpg

With Nissan Xterras out in force, attendees line up to learn the capabilities of their rigs as Marc and Scott help spot them on the rocks.

c82456d2.jpg

Midog's badass FJ40.. It the strike package of FJ40's.

89538704.jpg

Rick & Hunter's hydrostatic Toyota crawler

299b2861.jpg

Rick & Hunter's hydrostatic Toyota.

84ad620a.jpg

Drool....

02e9c5df.jpg

Size comparison of Hunter's truck vs a TJ.*

Rick & Hunter's hydrostatic Toyota crawler. Operates like a tractor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_o79y9WkXw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
[video=youtube;F_o79y9WkXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_o79y9WkXw[/video]

Here's a great example of what this training weekend helps with. Here we have a first time off-roader in his 2nd gen Nissan Xterra, has just shifted into 4Lo and engaged the rear E-Locker for the first time - and he conquers the first rock section with control and ease with the help of Marc Bryson who spots him through. This training helps to build confidence in new blood to the sport.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIB1l4nfTE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
[video=youtube;4xIB1l4nfTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIB1l4nfTE[/video]

Feeling left out, I got the wife's Altima out on the rocks..
2c1b8185.jpg

A big THANKS goes out to Miller Motorsports Park for letting us hold the event at their world class facility, Teraflex for food & goodies, Cruiser Outfitters, AllJeep.com, and Iconic Camping for raffle goodies and on-site expertise. Also to all the volunteers who put this event together.

Look for the next quarterly training weekend around the first of September - tentatively. Be a part of the 4x4 education movement!

Last edited:

LT.

How would one get involved with this? Maybe I have missed something but, I figure I could learn a lot from attending one of these training sessions. Thanks in advance.

LT.

midog

What a great time with great people. Thanks to all those who made it possible. My son and I had a blast and made some good friends. We look forward to the next one. I'm digging the ARB tire deflater I won in the raffal thanks cruiser outfitters. All of the talks were well prepared and informative. We could tell a lot of time went into this event so thanks again.

sixstringsteve

Great trip report Jason, thanks.

How would one get involved with this? Maybe I have missed something but, I figure I could learn a lot from attending one of these training sessions. Thanks in advance.

LT.

We'd love to have you out, I'm sure you'd have a lot to contribute as well. All you need to do is keep an eye out for the next one (late aug/early september) and register. We have a fantastic group of guys who volunteer their time and energy into making this event better and better each time, along with sponsors who help make it possible. The next one will be even better than the last. If anyone specializes in any areas (recovery, towing, spotting, preparation, etc) and you'd like to volunteer to teach a section, please contact me and we will let the group know.

What a great time with great people. Thanks to all those who made it possible. My son and I had a blast and made some good friends. We look forward to the next one. I'm digging the ARB tire deflater I won in the raffal thanks cruiser outfitters. All of the talks were well prepared and informative. We could tell a lot of time went into this event so thanks again.

It was great to meet you and see your rig in person. That thing is a beast!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
It was good even though I wasn't there long. Its too bad though that I didn't get to meet you Steve. Maybe next time. I was to caught up in Sami (Jason) showing up with breakfast (which I forgot to grab any of) that I didn't get a chance to meet you. ;)

sixstringsteve

It was good even though I wasn't there long. Its too bad though that I didn't get to meet you Steve. Maybe next time. I was to caught up in Sami (Jason) showing up with breakfast (which I forgot to grab any of) that I didn't get a chance to meet you. ;)

yeah, it'd be great to meet you for once.

5 min after that conversation I completely remembered meeting you and being bummed that you hadn't brought your truck to clean the ashes off Kurt's walls. Besides, I never "meet" someone 'till I meet their rig, since that's how my brain classifies who's who. ;)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
A big thanks to the sponsors. Teraflex, Alljeep, Cruiseroutfitters and Iconic Camping. You guys really showed up awesome making sure everybody left with something cool. Thanks to everyone who put so much into organizing this and all the other training days. And a big shout out to MMP for letting us use the park, this type of event would be very difficult, not to mention expensive without your help. Thanks to Marc and Scott for the great spotting, keeping everyone as far as I know anyway from getting any body damage(well other than Scott but that was your own fault for taking the Sami through the most difficult spot we were driving on:bow:) that was some awesome driving Scott.

I had a great time pushing the JK and it's always great coming out to these and learning something. I wish I could have made it for Friday night, hopefully next time. I didn't manage to get any pictures since I left the camera at home.

ricsrx

Jason thanks for posting up Hunters video, it does work good.
And thanks for the food!!!

LT.

Great trip report Jason, thanks.

We'd love to have you out, I'm sure you'd have a lot to contribute as well. All you need to do is keep an eye out for the next one (late aug/early september) and register. We have a fantastic group of guys who volunteer their time and energy into making this event better and better each time, along with sponsors who help make it possible. The next one will be even better than the last. If anyone specializes in any areas (recovery, towing, spotting, preparation, etc) and you'd like to volunteer to teach a section, please contact me and we will let the group know.
I don't know that I would have much to contribute. I would really like to learn from those who are more knowledgeable than I. Honestly, I just build trucks and I don't get the chance to wheel much. For the most part I enjoy building rigs more than wheeling them. I would really like to learn more about recoveries and how to do them more safely. The first aid class sounds like something we should all take. I will keep my eyes peeled for the next one. Thanks for the heads up.

LT.

midog

It was great to meet you and see your rig in person. That thing is a beast!

It was great to meet you as well! Thanks again for all the work you put into these events!