Rot Box’s Superduty

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I had never heard of this. I could have used one so bad doing the starter in the LX. I laid a 2x6 across the fenders with a bit of foam padding and it absolutely wrecked my ribs. :rofl:
I bought one shortly after I learned about them. They are awesome for working on tall vehicles. @bryson has mine right now working on my 80. Next time hollar and I will let you borrow it too!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I really think I’m gonna pull the bed and do the hutch and harpoon mods (remove the clogging pickup screens inside the fuel tank.. horrid design) while I’m at it. It’s a lot of work but I think I could kill two birds making the springs easier to get to.

08+ springs worth it at this point where I’m into it that far anyway? The swap is straight forward. They’re 8” longer and supposedly ride much-much better. I dunno I sure do drive a lot on dirt roads my kidneys might thank me in the long run?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
A set of Deavers would be great on there I could also run a much shorter block going that route….

I’m going down a rabbit hole of spring codes and rates.. Ford had a lot of options in the 08+ years. I’d like to find the lightest ones I can for a better ride whereas I have airbags for towing/hauling. I dunno at this point I’ll prob just go to the scrap yard and see what I can come up with.

Axed the heads off of the bed bolts yesterday and it’s ready to come off. I’ll post some pics when I do the hutch and harpoon mod it’s gonna be a winner 😎

1969honda

Supporting Member
Highly recommend doing springs with the bed off if your in there for the fuel tank. Room to work for days in comparison to the bed on. Don't forget to get all new shackle and eye bolts, they are TTY. I've got a long 3/4" torque wrench that goes up to 600lb/ft if you need it.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Sweet I may take you up on that torque wrench when the time comes those bolts are HUGE haha.

On that note I’m wondering where to find the bolts? I really don’t want to get them through the stealership.

Pretty well set on the 08+ springs while the bed is off. Found these hangers https://www.pmfsuspension.com/08-Spring-Hanger-Conversion-for-99-07_p_8.html prob go that route I think although they are kinda spendy for what they are…

1969honda

Supporting Member
I've always gone to the dealership, but that's with uncle Warren's credit card paying the bill. I've had good luck finding oem GM specialty bolts on rock auto and other sites searching the oem part numbers.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've bought superduty u-bolts thru the Ford dealership before. They were good/competitive prices. I think it was Townsely (?) in Minnesota

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Yeah I think it’s a Ford thing lol. I have not and I’ll be honest I’m kinda intimidated by it these things are huge.

Dumb question that I probably already know the answer to…. Do I need to replace them in pairs?
they are not that big, my 68 high boy has larger spring packs on it, you are probably thinking they are giant because you are more into motorbike and Subaru sized parts :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Man I wish it was a Subaru then I could just drive it instead of work on it all the time! 🤣

Huge thanks to @Die Blaue Ziege for helping me pull the bed off.

IMG_5887.jpeg

Well this morning I did the hutch and harpoon mods to the fuel tank. The fuel pickup and return are inside of a chamber. This chamber has filters inside of it—inside the tank… dumb dumb dumb. I pulled the chamber apart and to my surprise I found the filters have already been gutted.

That said it still had the chamber and that is a great place to introduce air into the fuel pickup. The return swirls fuel and feeds the pickup if that makes sense. 7.3’s have a dead head fuel system and you don’t want air in that or it hammers through the injectors.

I pulled the chamber out. Added a drop and pointed the return and pickup in opposite directions.

You can see the black umbrella for the pickup, most 7.3’s have this piece lying in the bottom of the fuel tank. It gets brittle, breaks off so if your truck runs out of fuel at around a 1/4 tank you’ll know why.

IMG_5892.jpegIMG_5893.jpegIMG_5894.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Next up is to add an inline serviceable screen filter (pre fuel pump) onto the frame rail to replace the two that should have been inside my fuel tank pickup chamber. This will keep big debris from getting into the pump woohoo.

I am a little worried about the cold we can see up here in cache valley from time to time. This is a prefect place for fuel to gel. A LOT of people have many miles in this setup and I’ve heard zero complaints about gelling so we’ll see.

image.jpg

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
That filter is a great addition. Since it is subject to gelling you might want to keep a piece of tubing in the drivers door pocket to swap in its place if that ever happens.
The gelling issue is still pretty doubtful with the D1 nearly all stations switch to. I have gelled the filter on my auxiliary bed tank a couple times but I do not dose the aux tank with additive, I only dose the main tanks prior to filling them.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Next up is to add an inline serviceable screen filter (pre fuel pump) onto the frame rail to replace the two that should have been inside my fuel tank pickup chamber. This will keep big debris from getting into the pump woohoo.

I am a little worried about the cold we can see up here in cache valley from time to time. This is a prefect place for fuel to gel. A LOT of people have many miles in this setup and I’ve heard zero complaints about gelling so we’ll see.

View attachment 175584
As long as you aren't storing summer fuel and you buy your fuel in Cache Valley during the winter you shouldn't have a gelling issue. The winter fuel is pretty good.