Rot Box's 1991 Ford F350

Owners Name & City- Andrew. Lewiston Utah

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1991 Ford F350 CC

Engine- 7.3L International V8 diesel. Mechanical injection with an aftermarket 088 model ATS turbocharger

Transmission- ZF5 5speed manual

T-Case- Borg-Warner 1356

Axles- High pinion kingpin Dana 60 front. Sterling 10.25 full floating rear

Suspension- Stock leaf springs

Wheels and Tires- Alcoa 16x8 with 255/85 BFG KM2's

Favorite Trails- :eek:

Other- 8' Four Wheel Camper 'pop-up'.

3501.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Here's a couple upgrades I've done along the way;

Replaced time-bomb Dual mass flywheel with an upgraded 13" single mass from South Bend Clutch.

Coolant filter with CAT ELC coolant.
DSC01264.jpg

Mix matched :rolleyes: code injectors swapped out for BB code Delphi injectors.
DSC01560.jpg

Early model intake snorkel. Less restrictive---cheap upgrade.
DSC01574.jpg

Enormous 3 -wide- core aluminum radiator. Big improvement over stock.
DSC03347.jpg

SuperWinch hubs to replace the worthless Mile Markers. They were around $100 on Amazon and remind me a lot of Aisin hubs internally. So far I'm really happy with them.
photo-17_zps5fbc4389.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Well I gotta say 2014 is off to an amazing start. The last couple weekends I've been out camping with my daughter and loving every minute of it. I'm to the point now it takes around ten or fifteen minutes to be out the door and on the road. I keep the fridge/food, clothes, gear etc all stocked and packed away ready to go which has proven to be very convenient.

Two weekends ago we had pouring rain and low temps, yesterday/today it's been super high winds. No stress, if it gets bad enough we just hunker down in the FWC and play a game of cards and such while waiting it out. I can't wait to see what next weekend brings :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Spent the first part of my early weekend camping in Southern Idaho with my daughter. There were a few snow drifts that had me a nervous but with the hubs locked in and a little finesse I was able to plow through without too much stress. Overall it was worth the effort--we had the entire mountain to ourselves :cool:

photo-38_zps0208c66d.jpg

photo-39_zpse3825f26.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'm starting to learn a little bit about furnaces. I've ran mine over the years here and there but it's always had this problem where the burner would shut off for quite awhile but the fan would keep running. On the last outing the fan ran all night long and the burner only fired a few times. We stayed warm but something wasn't quite right. I ended up pulling the entire thing out of the camper and pulled it apart on my work bench. I found the motor to be drawing far too many amps than it should and several of the cooling air passages blocked with spider nests :ugh: I pulled the motor apart and cleaned it which brought it down to 1.8 amps, but it would jump around from high to low amps randomly. I'm going to order a new motor and clean all the passages out. Should make a big improvement in performance.

On a side note this thing cranks out the heat and it's non-catalitic as it exhausts outside of the vehicle. It's small too--about the size of two of those long style 12 packs of soda pop. I'm kinda wondering why people aren't using these (that I've seen anyway) as tent heaters when car camping. I'm thinking it would be great just put it outside and run a simple air duct running into the tent. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Been enjoying a small reservoir close to home in southern Idaho. Had the place to ourselves the last couple weekends.

photo-26_zps7fbd6354.jpg

The princess pole strikes again! :cool:

photo-24_zps0a37d461.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Nice! I fished Devil Creek Res this weekend. I was amazed at how good the fishing was. It was a blast! Looks like you have a great setup for enjoying some time in the great outdoors.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Nice! I fished Devil Creek Res this weekend. I was amazed at how good the fishing was. It was a blast! Looks like you have a great setup for enjoying some time in the great outdoors.

Hmm sounds like fun. I haven't been to devils creek in a very long time. Might have to head here sometime soon :). It's a great rig for us I have very few complaints. I keep thinking how fun it would be to have a canoe or small boat for all the fishing we've been doing lately.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I love my canoe! I wish I had it with me this last weekend. A canoe or kayak certainly makes the fishing more interesting.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Think it's a little worn out? All of my front suspension bushings were more or less just like that :ugh: :rolleyes:

Just finished installing poly bushings this morning which should make a night and day difference.

photo-28_zps1825b6cb.jpg

Hardcastle

That’s a good looking truck/camper combo! Reminds me of my uncle’s old setup with a Ford and FWC. His camp rig is partially why I recently decided to add a shell model Four Wheel Camper to my Tacoma and have really been liking it. I’ll bet the extra space your full size rig offers is really nice.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Well this cold snap definitely put an end to my batteries. I was an Optima fan until a few years ago.. I was an Interstate fan until my last two swelled and started leaking. I hate parts stores and their overpriced no-name batteries. I considered Motorcraft batteries but the reviews seemed very hit or miss. I really want a pair of Odyssey/Sears Platinums but that option was out of my price range. Hmm what to do.. What to do... I ended up buying a pair of CAT group 65 (stock Ford size) batteries at the local Caterpillar store. They feature 880 CCA's @ 0ºF which was a bit more than anything else I've found in the stock size. They're really heavy, made for construction equiptment, they look well built, they are maintenance free and the price was right. That said I couldn't find many reviews for them online hopefully they'll survive a few years.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Well this cold snap definitely put an end to my batteries. I was an Optima fan until a few years ago.. I was an Interstate fan until my last two swelled and started leaking. I hate parts stores and their overpriced no-name batteries. I considered Motorcraft batteries but the reviews seemed very hit or miss. I really want a pair of Odyssey/Sears Platinums but that option was out of my price range. Hmm what to do.. What to do... I ended up buying a pair of CAT group 65 (stock Ford size) batteries at the local Caterpillar store. They feature 880 CCA's @ 0ºF which was a bit more than anything else I've found in the stock size. They're really heavy, made for construction equiptment, they look well built, they are maintenance free and the price was right. That said I couldn't find many reviews for them online hopefully they'll survive a few years.

I am interested in your review. I don't have a diesel, but the battery in my Jeep isn't going to last beyond next year, and I will be on the hunt for a quality alternative.